Malinda Williams shares some hair tips on her wedding blog

MonaLisa

My Style

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hollywood actress Malinda Williams invites you behind the scenes as she plans her August 23, 2008 wedding to hip hop legend Derrick "D-Nice" Jones. Find out what's new with the bride-to-be every Monday, Wednesday and Friday [/FONT]

At the risk of sounding obsessive about my hair, which I am, I am still very much undecided about what I will do on the day. Despite the rumors that our wedding is in Atlanta, Derrick and I are getting married in New Jersey where the weather can be just as humid and unpredictable.

Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful compliments. I love, love, love my short cut but I do have something specific in mind for the wedding. I have been growing it out for a while now and will again be going for something very classic and timeless. I've gotta change it up just a taste. I know most people really like the short cut and believe me, I won't do anything drastic. Just something a little less edgy for the wedding. Actually there are some great links right here on the ESSENCE sight that I've been checking out.

Anyway, I've gotten many emails regarding hair care, and wanted to share a few of my own personal hair secrets with you.

First, let me say that no matter what style I'm rocking, I pretty much only use two products; Keracare foaming wrap set lotion by Avalon and the TIGI wax stick. Now, I can sub a different wax for styling purposes, but do not by any means bring me any other foam. I have used this same foam everyday for over twelve years and believe me, it is the best. My hair doesn't dry out or break off, it simply shines and performs it own little dance. If for some reason I get in a jam, Jane Carter and Kim Kimble both make great foams as well but God save me if Avalon ever discontinues their foam. A great ceramic flat iron is a must. The secret. I never, ever use a comb when styling. Only my fingers and a touch of wax.

I apply about 7 to 8 pumps of the foam to my damp hair and with a fine toothed comb, mold each section in the desired direction I want the hair to lay, not in a circular "wrap". Then dry the hair. I prefer to let it air dry, as short hair doesn't require much drying time. Once it's dry, I will take my fingernails and finger comb the hair in the same direction as I molded it to loosen the wrap.

I then take a small flatiron and begin bending some, not all pieces. This is key. The foam will add a nice shine to the hair but too much heat will take it away. And don't fight with your hair. If you see a piece wanting to go in a direction you hadn't planned on sending it, let it be. I found my best hair days to be when I let the hair have its way.

To finish, I pull very small amounts of the TIGI wax through (concentrating on the ends) to give it some texture. That's it. I'm out the door in less than an hour. Don't get me wrong, perfecting your hairstyle takes some practice and a lot of patience but the result is worth the time. As for my wedding day "do", only time will tell. One thing I can promise you is that I will not be saying "I do" without my trusted foam.

http://essence.typepad.com/celebrityweddings/

Fab, how bout this one? A lil better?

Aww ML you are so sweet :grin:

Fab critiques photo:

Hmmm, definitely a softer more casual look. This one is just "ok' for me (channeling Randy from American Idol :lachen:). I can't quite see the beautiful head of hair she has and she looks a smidge drab in that color. On a positive note, she is standing next to Levita whom I also love. I will approve this picture :yep:

1598374.jpg

Does longer hair suit her guys? I think she is made for the short sassy cut

Aww ML you are so sweet :grin:

Fab critiques photo:

Hmmm, definitely a softer more casual look. This one is just "ok' for me (channeling Randy from American Idol :lachen:). I can't quite see the beautiful head of hair she has and she looks a smidge drab in that color. On a positive note, she is standing next to Levita whom I also love. I will approve this picture :yep:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Silly...

keracare foam wrap left my hair a hard crunchy mess and i was so upset because i really wanted to like it. and it wasnt even the holding one. now i am in love with silk element fam wrap lotion. but i love her hair.

D'Nice:)

my name is d'nice although i hate to admit it, take'n out you suckas and you don't know how I did it...see ever episode remains at this mode very cool very calm theres no sweat in my palm i just pick up a mike proceed with a song i get right to the point my composition is not long or short its like a sport hanging in the middle and that youre puzzled let me kick the whole riddle that my name is derek and if i didn't mention d'nice is just a discription it describes the king on the mike i'm th d nice 808 huh but just call me d'nice:rolleyes:

Back