Major Shedding

lav123

Hello Ladies

I need some advice. My hair has been shedding like crazy for some time now. :( My hair is almost BSL and its scary seeing these long strands of hair every time I comb my hair. :eek: My hair is also dry. Whenver I oil it, the oil just simply disappears. I don't know what to do.

Please ladies give me some advice.

maybe you can try some mizani fulfyl for the shedding
and some worlds of curls activator for the dryness
bun it and keep it movin'

For the dryness I suggest Elasta QP Recovery Moisturizer. For the shedding.....try Motions CPR.

I agree with MsPortugal....bun it up and leave it alone.

Several weeks ago, I had major shedding issues as well. Don't know what brought it on, but I was a nervous wreck not knowing whether it was just the change of seasons or whether it was something I could do about it.

I used the Aphogee treatment for dry and damaged hair and followed it up by a deep conditioner. Even though the shedding stopped, I continue to use the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor every two weeks to keep it at bay. I keep my hair moisturized on a daily basis with NTM Silk Touch Moisturizer.

I was doing the cw'ing daily, and although it was doing a great job at keeping my hair moisturized, I think it still contributed to unneccesary shedding for me. I rollerset my hair last Wednesday and have only been seeing 2 or 3 strands per day, so now I wonder back and think that my shedding wasn't as bad as I thought, but the cw'ing and constantly manipulating my wet hair helped my shedding along....

HTH

Last edited:
Shedding is nothing to really be alarmed about unless it's excessive. Try doing a protein treatment followed with a good deep moisturizer. This is the time of year when the hair does shed.

Look around you, the trees are shedding or have shedded, the grass isn't as green, even snakes and another animals shed their hair. This is a normal process and will bring in more hair. Just try the suggested recommendations and if that doesn't work, I would consult a doctor. Drink lots of water and take your vitamins. Don't worry too much, that only adds to it. I believe you're going to be okay.

TonicaG said:
Shedding is nothing to really be alarmed about unless it's excessive. Try doing a protein treatment followed with a good deep moisturizer. This is the time of year when the hair does shed.

Look around you, the trees are shedding or have shedded, the grass isn't as green, even snakes and another animals shed their hair. This is a normal process and will bring in more hair. Just try the suggested recommendations and if that doesn't work, I would consult a doctor. Drink lots of water and take your vitamins. Don't worry too much, that only adds to it. I believe you're going to be okay.

I agree with not stressing about it b/c it will make it worse. I kept telling myself it was my "seasonal shed" b/c I knew I hadn't changed my routine or anything, so please take Tonica's advice and try not to stress over it either....

Try Nutrine Garlic shampoo with pure garlic for the shedding followed by Roux Porosity Control and a good deep conditioner. I was having the same problem and now my hair has made a complete turn around. No more hairs everywhere. Whew!! Thank God because I almost did the BC again.:( :yay: :clapping:

Thanks Ladies for the advice. I am going to try and do some protein treatments.

A quick question if do the protein treatments will that not make my hair more dry? Which hair oils can I use?

blackbarbie said:
Several of weeks ago, I had major shedding issues as well. Don't know what brought it on, but I was a nervous wreck not knowing whether it was just the change of seasons or whether it was something I could do about it.

I used the Aphogee treatment for dry and damaged hair and followed it up by a deep conditioner. Even though the shedding stopped, I continue to use the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor every two weeks to keep it at bay. I keep my hair moisturized on a daily basis with NTM Silk Touch Moisturizer.

I was doing the cw'ing daily, and althought it was doing a great job at keeping my hair moisturized, I think it still contributed to unneccesary shedding for me. I rollerset my hair last Wednesday and have only been seeing 2 or 3 strands per day, so now I wonder back and think that my shedding wasn't as bad as I thought, but the cw'ing and constantly manipulating my wet hair helped my shedding along....

HTH

Blackbarbie did you use NTM Silk Touch Moisturizer along with any other moisturizer?

lav123 said:
Thanks Ladies for the advice. I am going to try and do some protein treatments.

A quick question if do the protein treatments will that not make my hair more dry? Which hair oils can I use?
Protein makes your hair more strong. It can also be drying, that is why it's important to follow the protein treatment with a good, moistuizing conditioning treatment.

For example, after washing I use Keraphix for my protein (in a plastic cap for about 20 min.), rinse very well, then I use Humectress to deep condition for about 30 min. under a plastic cap.

Oils only lubricate the hair shafts, they do not moisturize. I use oils to seal in the moisture after all is done.

Isis said:
Protein makes your hair more strong. It can also be drying, that is why it's important to follow the protein treatment with a good, moistuizing conditioning treatment.

For example, after washing I use Keraphix for my protein (in a plastic cap for about 20 min.), rinse very well, then I use Humectress to deep condition for about 30 min. under a plastic cap.

Oils only lubricate the hair shafts, they do not moisturize. I use oils to seal in the moisture after all is done.

Thanks for the info

lav123 said:
Hello Ladies

I need some advice. My hair has been shedding like crazy for some time now. :( My hair is almost BSL and its scary seeing these long strands of hair every time I comb my hair. :eek: My hair is also dry. Whenver I oil it, the oil just simply disappears. I don't know what to do.

Please ladies give me some advice.

Hi Lav123,

I had the same shedding issue, but mine lasted a few months and I didn't know what was going on. First make sure the hair is shed (white bulb at the end) rather than breaking. If it is shedding, I can tell you what I did to help slow down my shedding. I first clarified with Redken Cleansing Cream. I realized on my hair journey, that I was adding all of these products to my regimen, but not clarifying. Then I used Roux porosity control, because like you, my hair was dry and the oil I used would just disappear. Now I use very few products on my hair. I also use Nexus Emergencee every now and then. It is a good protein treatment, but use a good moisturizing conditioner afterwords.

I hope this helps.

lav123 said:
Blackbarbie did you use NTM Silk Touch Moisturizer along with any other moisturizer?

For daily use, I just the NTM Silk Touch. It is a creamy consistency and I thought it would make my hair wet feeling at first (I first would only use it for rollersetting), but as the name implies, your hair feels like silk to the touch. When I was cw'ing every other day, I was using S-Curl for moisture, but I am afraid to use it on my dry hair; I may be wrong, but seems that it really would be too wet.

HTH

does it matter whether you get the scented or unscented, or do they both work the same?

CLASSYEBONYGIRL said:
Try Nutrine Garlic shampoo with pure garlic for the shedding followed by Roux Porosity Control and a good deep conditioner. I was having the same problem and now my hair has made a complete turn around. No more hairs everywhere. Whew!! Thank God because I almost did the BC again.:( :yay: :clapping:

It's winter, and you may have more shedding because of the season. Don't be alarmed if you see white bulbs at the end (it's shedding). You may want to be a little concerned if you have more breakage (broken off in the middle of your hair).

i heard garlic shampoo is good for shedding. i heard it can be as little drying so maybe you can try diluting it with some water.

devin said:
does it matter whether you get the scented or unscented, or do they both work the same?

I purchased the scented shampoo over the unscented because it had the strong smell of garlic and I felt as if I was getting the real deal instead of the unscented which doesn't really smell like garlic. On the bottle of the scented one it says that it contains pure garlic and other natural ingredients and I can't quite remember what the unscented bottle stated. However, I don't think it said with pure garlic unlike the scented one. I am also not sure if one is more effective than the other because I have only tried the scented one. If you are worried about the garlic smell then maybe you could try the unscented one to see if it works just as well as the scented.

Anyway, this stuff really works:eek: so if you do decide to try it let us know the results.:D

I was experiencing the same issue. I have some Queen Helene Garlic shampoo that i am using it is unscented. I also have nutrine garlic shampoo unscented which i plan to use when i run out of the queen helene. I am also currently using the nutrine garlic conditioner. My shedding has been drastically reduced by using the garlic shampoo and conditioner.

I also use garlic shampoo and conditioner. To control shedding from the "inside" I take: Foti (or "Fo Ti") Root Extract in pill or liquid form, and Inositol/Choline tablets (keeps roots moist and reduces shedding). So far they are both working for me - about 5 shed strands per day.

I don't take it, but I also heard Shen-Men actually "programs" follicles to hold onto hairs longer than normal, thus extending the growth cycle. It is used by some to prevent baldness.

Back