Major postnatal shedding!! Help! (see pics)

sjones

Okay, I need some advice/encouragement/prayer--something!! The shedding started about a month ago, and is ridiculous.:perplexed It's worse after I wash my hair, no matter how gently I comb it with a wide tooth comb and lots of conditioner. I am about 16 weeks post relaxer, but I'm scared to death to get a relaxer because I don't think my hair is strong enough to handle it. My hair is still mid-back length, but thinning out obviously. I would even consider going natural, but with a five-month old, two girls with a gang of thick natural hair, and a husband not-too-thrilled with the idea, this is probably not the best time to try something new. I've seen a dermatologist. She basically said take more protein and ride it out. This is what I'm currently attempting to implement:
  • prenatal pills
  • biotin 5000 mcg
  • Carsen's fish oil
  • more water
  • wash every 2 weeks instead of every week
  • Nioxin follicle stimulator
Here are some pics (if this works):
hairline1.jpg

hairline2.jpg
Anything I'm missing? Should I go for the relaxer and just tell her to skip my hairline? Help!

Okay, breathe!!! I know you are not happy with this but consider the front of your hair like your new baby :) You need to cherish it and be patient. It WILL get longer! Don't listen to the horror stories, keep your mind positive, and I do a 5 minute circular massage (one in the AM and one in the PM) with your finger tips. It will restore your edges to be even healthier before your hair fell out. Let me see if I can find you some links sweetie. ((( HUGS )))

I'm sorry I don't have much advice to give, but I would not relax just yet.
But I know other ladies will chime in who have been through this and have first hand knowledge.
This will pass and you'll have your old hair back soon enough! Whenever you feel down, just look at that beautiful baby....I'm sure she was worth a little shed hair. :yep:
Kinikakes went through something similar and she wrote about it in her blog. Maybe it would help to see what she did:
http://www.prissymommy.com/our_first_baby/hair/

Whatever you do, it'll all turn out fine.:bighug:

I just had a baby 4.5 months ago and I started shedding a month ago. I am natural so I just put some box braids in my hair for an entire month, I oiled my edges with JBCO and shea butter. I am at work so I can't load any pics, but I am still dealing with it, but I have noticed that keeping my hair in braids (not tight) have helped. I consume a lot of almonds, which is a good source of protein.

You may also want to check your thyroid to make sure it is working properly. Have your doc check your levels, because that can also attribute to massive hair loss.

Last but not least, don't stress...I know I know easier said than done. I have already seen the difference in my edges, I just need to baby my edges and it will be back completely

HTH

I'm going through the same thing. After having four kids, I'm used to this pattern. I've tried a few remedies, but basically it just takes time. Right to the point where my temples are almost bald, I soon notice it starts to grow back. Chin up!

Lauren AKA Southernbella. posted some pictures of her hairline after she had her son. It gets better with most people.

It will get better. I can't tell you not to worry because it's only natural to do this. I went through the same problem when I had my son. He's now 16 months. Only I didn't have the LHCF girls to ask questions at the time. Once I got fed up I did some research and found you guys and started getting back on track. The thing that helped me out was protien treatments. I used an Ion protein treatment and it worked. Shedding was reduced to a minimum. It just takes time like the other ladies said. Keep your head up and try to focus on your bundle of joy.

I have experienced shedding in this area. Currently going through this right now. I noticed mine on the right side about a month ago. I have been wearing my hair parted so that its covered. (the whole out of sight out of mind theory). keeping that area oiled (nightly). I also use Surge x14 (its a detangler/growth aid) just on that area.
I have had good progress so far. Lawd knows we have the challenges of life to stress about and dont need to stress over our hair added to the mix.

sending growth vibes your way :)

Specifically for postpartum shedding, you're better taking the less is more route. You really need to let your hormones do what they need to do.

I would NOT add extra chemicals on top of the thought of a relaxer at this point in time. You are in a recovery period and need to fully do so (no matter how good you think you feel physically!) :nono:

Last edited:
Okay, breathe!!! I know you are not happy with this but consider the front of your hair like your new baby :) You need to cherish it and be patient. It WILL get longer! Don't listen to the horror stories, keep your mind positive, and I do a 5 minute circular massage (one in the AM and one in the PM) with your finger tips. It will restore your edges to be even healthier before your hair fell out. Let me see if I can find you some links sweetie. ((( HUGS )))

Thank you for the encouragement! You can tell I'm trippin' out, right!!

I'm sorry I don't have much advice to give, but I would not relax just yet.
But I know other ladies will chime in who have been through this and have first hand knowledge.
This will pass and you'll have your old hair back soon enough! Whenever you feel down, just look at that beautiful baby....I'm sure she was worth a little shed hair. :yep:
Kinikakes went through something similar and she wrote about it in her blog. Maybe it would help to see what she did:
http://www.prissymommy.com/our_first_baby/hair/

Whatever you do, it'll all turn out fine.:bighug:

Good blog--just made this a favorite. She actually mentioned something about garlic, which I'll have to look into.

I am going through this as well. The only thing that has worked for me is cowashing with garlic conditioner and taking garlic pills. I was shedding like crazy. But since taking the pills it has let up significantly. My right side is bad, but I was able to nip it in the butt before it hit the left. So my left is pretty good. I part my hair and keep the right side covered.

Start doing scalp massages with EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil every night before you go to bed especially in the thinnning areas and place either a satin cap or bonnet over it. This should help out...but do this every night. And yes, try the garlic conditioning method as well...do a search for the threads using garlic powder in your conditioner when you get a chance.

Last edited:
Specifically for postpartum shedding, you're better taking the less is more route. You really need to let your hormones do what they need to do.

I would NOT add extra chemicals on top of the thought of a relaxer at this point in time. You are in a recovery period and need to fully do so (no matter how good you think you feel physically!) :nono:

I'm thinking I won't do the relaxer...I may just have to break out the curlformers for a while.

Try Alter Ego garlic conditioner. My DD is 6 mths and I used this. It didn't completely stop the shedding, but it minimized it.

I also read that coffee rinses help with shedding. You just brew some coffee (make sure it has caffeine) and as the last step in your wash/condition routine pour the coffee on your hair and let sit. Do not rinse out. There's a thread about it.

I wouldn't put a relaxer on your hair. I think that would make the hair more fragile and susceptible to more breakage. Good luck.

Try Alter Ego garlic conditioner. My DD is 6 mths and I used this. It didn't completely stop the shedding, but it minimized it.

I also read that coffee rinses help with shedding. You just brew some coffee (make sure it has caffeine) and as the last step in your wash/condition routine pour the coffee on your hair and let sit. Do not rinse out. There's a thread about it.

I wouldn't put a relaxer on your hair. I think that would make the hair more fragile and susceptible to more breakage. Good luck.

Hadn't heard about the coffee--I'm willing to try it, though. Several posts mentioned the garlic, so I'll try that as well. By the time it's said and done, I probably won't know what actually helped, since I'm open to trying it all!!

Scalp massages are a great idea. Keeping the blood circulation at an optimal level will help.

I bought myself a scalp massager (the Tingler) to help me through the post-partum shedding phase.

Hi,

Okay I dont want to scare you I am just sharing what I am presently going through.
I am presently going through this. In fact I just bust out bawling after reading an email from my doc. I had a baby last year and I lost hair from my right temple about 3 mths after I delivered. I had a baby this year - my second baby is now 3.5 mths, and my left temple started to go - it is now gone! I freaked out because I am noticing massive shedding so I went to the doc for a FULL checkup. Today I did a testerone test and it came back as HIGH.

My doctor just emailed me (20 mins ago) to come in for a prescription for aldosterone. Spironolactone is the same thing. It is a DHT blocker. I was just searching online for a good DHT blocker shampoo without mineral oil.

My doctor thinks that the major hormonal shift with the pregnancies and deliveries triggered female pattern baldness at my temples (hopefully the only place).

This is my issue. Yours may be totally different. For peace of mind, it is best to check your doc and get bloodwork done.

HTH.

Hi,

Okay I dont want to scare you I am just sharing what I am presently going through.
I am presently going through this. In fact I just bust out bawling after reading an email from my doc. I had a baby last year and I lost hair from my right temple about 3 mths after I delivered. I had a baby this year - my second baby is now 3.5 mths, and my left temple started to go - it is now gone! I freaked out because I am noticing massive shedding so I went to the doc for a FULL checkup. Today I did a testerone test and it came back as HIGH.

My doctor just emailed me (20 mins ago) to come in for a prescription for aldosterone. Spironolactone is the same thing. It is a DHT blocker. I was just searching online for a good DHT blocker shampoo without mineral oil.

My doctor thinks that the major hormonal shift with the pregnancies and deliveries triggered female pattern baldness at my temples (hopefully the only place).

This is my issue. Yours may be totally different. For peace of mind, it is best to check your doc and get bloodwork done.

HTH.

Oh, mama, I feel your pain. :cry3: Okay, when you mention the DHT, it reminded me that Nioxin supposedly helps with this--go on the website under FAQ's or do a search on there and see what turns up; this might be what you're looking for. HTH!

Scalp massages are a great idea. Keeping the blood circulation at an optimal level will help.

I bought myself a scalp massager (the Tingler) to help me through the post-partum shedding phase.

Hmmm...that sounds intriguing on many different levels:grin:. And where is this available? Was it worth the money?

Hmmm...that sounds intriguing on many different levels:grin:. And where is this available? Was it worth the money?

I know, right? :giggle:

I got mine on amazon.com. It was just under $20, and I think it was worth it. It feels great (especially when someone else gives you a massage with it)! It's a perfect post-partum pick-me-up.

Hi SJones, I am So Sorry that You are going through this, Just know that this too shall pass, and it will get better, IMO, the Best Garlic Treatment that You can use would probably be Your own, The Garlic Conditioners that are out there are Great, don't get Me wrong, but whats better then You making Your own to control the amount of Garlic You use, and in this case You may want to use a little more then the trace amounts that they put in the store bought brands, so here is a Great Recepe that I found for You, give it a shot as well a Supplements like a lot of the other Lades stated and This should Help:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=409542&highlight=garlic+recipes

I Wish You the Best and Am here if You need to talk!

I remember going through this shortly after I had my daughter. I think it lasted the max maybe 1 month. I think getting a relaxer would probably make the situation worse. I think what helped stop my PP shedding was drinking a protein shake at least twice a day. I remember reading a long time ago on the internet (before I had my daughter) that increasing your protein intake can reduce hair shedding, and it worked in my case.

Hi SJones, I am So Sorry that You are going through this, Just know that this too shall pass, and it will get better, IMO, the Best Garlic Treatment that You can use would probably be Your own, The Garlic Conditioners that are out there are Great, don't get Me wrong, but whats better then You making Your own to control the amount of Garlic You use, and in this case You may want to use a little more then the trace amounts that they put in the store bought brands, so here is a Great Recepe that I found for You, give it a shot as well a Supplements like a lot of the other Lades stated and This should Help:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=409542&highlight=garlic+recipes

I Wish You the Best and Am here if You need to talk!

Okay, so, of course I just went through and read all 59 posts on the thread you gave! I'm excited, because I was not at all hip to the garlic. I might have to pull that out tonight. *eyeing the garlic cloves in the fridge*

I remember going through this shortly after I had my daughter. I think it lasted the max maybe 1 month. I think getting a relaxer would probably make the situation worse. I think what helped stop my PP shedding was drinking a protein shake at least twice a day. I remember reading a long time ago on the internet (before I had my daughter) that increasing your protein intake can reduce hair shedding, and it worked in my case.

I really like the Ensure shakes, and I've been adding 2T of whey protein to those; I haven't been doing it twice a day, though. That's a thought...

Back