Lurker turned new member!

nnbolden

Hi everyone! I'm really excited to be a member of LHCF! :grin: I've learned so much from you all and hope that my hair will one day look as long and healthy as all of yours. Unfortunately, my hair is a complete mess right now. I've already cut about 2 inches off but it is still very damaged and broken off from years of abuse (glue in weaves, relaxers every 4-5 wks):wallbash:. I think I'm in denial because I am all but refusing to do a BC besides the 1 or 2 inches I cut of two weeks ago.

Somebody please tell me that I can achieve healthier hair w/o the BC.

Welcome, glad you decided to join us. Whether or not you will have to bc depends on the extent of the damage. Is your hair still breaking? How chewed up is the remanding hair that's left. If it's damaged beyond repair, cutting it now is better than holding on to hair that's going to break off anyway. Remember health over length.

Why not start out with some dcing treatments, moisturizing, and protective styling for a while and see how your hair responds, and go from there.

:welcome3::theteam:

ETA: Before I learned about chelating I used to cut my hair when it looked dull and lifeless. All that was needed was removing buildup and proper protein moisture balancing.

Last edited:
Thanks! So far I have done a couple of DCs and Saturday I tried Nexxus Emergencee. My breakage has slowed down but its still a lot. I am currently wearing wigs so I could BC if I wanted to,and I'm pretty sure I need to. I believe that I need more moisture right now because my hair always seems dry as hell even when I have product in it.

Welcome, glad you decided to join us. Whether or not you will have to bc depends on the extent of the damage. Is your hair still breaking? How chewed up is the remanding hair that's left. If it's damaged beyond repair, cutting it now is better than holding on to hair that's going to break off anyway. Remember health over length.

Why not start out with some dcing treatments, moisturizing, and protective styling for a while and see how your hair responds, and go from there.
Definetly do the treatments like were suggested, when i initially started my hair care journey i thought that i was going to have to cut it all off too, but after a couple of weeks of deep conditioners and mosturizing, i saw that my hair was a lot healthier then what i had thought. it wasnt perfect but it was workable. extremley dry hair can look damaged all the way to the root, thats how my hair look and felt, but then again i hadnt dc in months didnt know anything about mosturizing and only washed my hair maybe twice a month with regular shampoo and no conditioner.:nono: that so didnt work for my hair. read up on the stickys there are some really helpful posts there.

You've already cut off a couple of inches so you may not need to cut anymore. I would do intense moisture and protein treatments now over the course of the next few weeks/months to get your hair back into shape. You'll soon see a difference. :yep:

Welcome to the forum! :)

YES YOU CAN ACHIEVE LONGER HEALTHIER HAIR.

Learn what you need to do in order to get to your goal and you will be just fine. You may need a serious mental adjustment regarding past practices but once you get over that hurdle it will be okay. :yep:

So what is your plan to stay relaxed or go natural or somewhere in between!

Welcome aboard and happy/healthy hair practices and journey.

Last edited:
I am no longer going to glue in my weaves, just a sew in. In the past I've never taken care of my hair under the weave or wigs. I was thinking of going natural but I'm not sure yet. It has only been about 3 weeks since my last relaxer. Also not sure what is the best moisuturizer for my hair.

:welcome4: Glad you are on the grow...I hope you can take everything you need from this board to get your hair healthy and long!

Back