love/hate rollersetting...

SqrpioQutie

i so want to learn how to rollerset my hair... i figure now that my hair is more relaxed, it would be a snap to learn so i got all ambitious and went out and bought rollers today... i studied the rollersetting tutorial that was posted... i washed my hair, and got all set to do the bestest first rollerset ever...

after 8 stupid rollers, i realized that i had no idea how to do this correctly... i had four rows going across my head and i'm thinking that maybe that wasn't right... i've never seen more than the middle line of rollers and then the sides... the roots seemed way too wavy and the roller itself was too loose... and my hair was getting tangled on the rollers and/or falling off the sides of the rollers...

i'm thinking that the only way i'll have a nice rollerset is if i take my butt to a salon (as long as they use products that i like)... the only wet styling that i've mastered is a wet wrap (and that was years ago) but i don't want to do that too often....

has anyone else just completely given up on rollersetting your own hair??

I am not giving up, I find practice makes perfect, their was a nice thread on rollersetting yesterday, that was very informive ( I think I spelled that right), give a search, I like rollersets too much to give up, find that thread, and give it another try please, I need to know, I am not the only one in the class rollersetting 101:lol:

It took me three years of rollersettings off and on to get the hang of it. Now I relax, perm, cut and style my hair. I don't need the salon for anything.

Keep practicing, don't give up.

My first one was awful! But I kept trying. Try it on dry hair so you get the hang of it

Me personally I never know if I am doing it right. My goal is to get my entire head in rollers before I pass out:lachen: . Just go slow and dont worry about whether you are doing it right. I will always confess I am not the best at rolling hair. I try not to follow a specific technique. Although making sure your ends are rolled are very important. I did a sprial roller set on sunday and some of my ends are not apart of the curls:perplexed . Also make sure you use a good leave in (for soft curls) or a good setting lotion (for more firmer curls). To me the products you use are very important to the outcome of your rollerset.:p

dlewis said:
It took me three years of rollersettings off and on to get the hang of it. Now I relax, perm, cut and style my hair. I don't need the salon for anything.

Keep practicing, don't give up.

You sure don't! Your hair is beautiful. :grin:

---

SqrpioQutie, you'll master it the same way you mastered wet wrapping in the past. Keep practicing. Soon you'll be posting pics of your rollersets and saying how much you love'm. ;)

Practice does make perfect. You also need to make sure you have the right tools. A good setting lotion, the right roller for you (trial and error) and the right clips/pins/clamps.

I am the same way. I don't try to follow a specific techinique. It takes practice practice practice.

CoCoGirl821 said:
Me personally I never know if I am doing it right. My goal is to get my entire head in rollers before I pass out:lachen: . Just go slow and dont worry about whether you are doing it right. I will always confess I am not the best at rolling hair. I try not to follow a specific technique. Although making sure your ends are rolled are very important. I did a sprial roller set on sunday and some of my ends are not apart of the curls:perplexed . Also make sure you use a good leave in (for soft curls) or a good setting lotion (for more firmer curls). To me the products you use are very important to the outcome of your rollerset.:p

I believe i have finally mastered a great rollerset. Only after 4 tries! I find that i absolutely must roll with a pattern/technique or otherwise the results aren't so good. I roll just like Macherie with a mohawk down the middle and i have 2 rows going downward on each side. I also find that when i am doing my final rinse, i don't dry my hair with a towel... so i rollerset with sopping wet hair...this produces shiny results! Also, the only product i use is Paul Mitchell medium hold setting lotion and a few dabs of serum on my ends... I just got thru rollersetting a few mins ago! now the only thing i would love to do is figure out how to keep curls for 2 or 3 days...

I tried the ponytail rollerset a few times before I perfected a rollerset. Now I love the way my hair comes out after I do it, I just dont have the patience at times.......

I understand your dilemma. I have tried a couple, and I think I finally have my materials and roller size finalized. My first roller set took me well over 1 1/2 hours to roll and 2 hours to dry:eek: . I have since learned how to roll a little faster. I agree with the other ladies. It takes practice and patience. Just think about the rewards of healthy hair instead of the process. You'll get the hang of it!

oy, thank you ladies.... i'll keep trying but man, the frustration was forreal getting to me...

question: do you think it would be easier if i used larger rollers?... right now i have a bunch of the red ones.

amberways said:
I tried the ponytail rollerset a few times before I perfected a rollerset. Now I love the way my hair comes out after I do it, I just dont have the patience at times.......
This is the only way I can rollerset-by doing the ponytail rollersets. You should really try it. Its a visual in Lonei's fotki.:)

I to have a love/hate relationship with rollersetting. I absolutely love the results I get (I do it to straighten my hair) and I know its healthier for my hair than anything else, but I absolutely dread rollersetting day with a passion! But the thing that keeps me going is I am constantly challenging myself to do it in a shorter period of time each time, and drying my hair any other way is not an option for me.

I agree with the ladies that practice makes perfect, which is why I haven't given up completely; I keep practicing every week!:)

I'm so amazed I never tried rollersetting before LHCF. Never ever! It's one of the first things I started doing since I decided to stop using heat. I kept practicing and practicing until I got so I can airdry and then make other styles with my hair (I didn't wear the rollersets). For me, I use rollersetting to replace blowdrying.

I'm still learning and only recently started wearing my rollersets mainly keeping it simple, using Macherieamour's blog method. I really appreciate rollersetting now more than ever. :)

I am trying to get rollersetting down and I get frustrated.

The frustration for me is giving up techniques that give me sure-fire results. I know other ways to do my hair and make it look nice that prove to be true to me every single time.

Rollersetting - I don't know how the heck myhair is going to turn out. Most times, I am too busy or tired to re-do it.

That is the hardest part for me - the unknown :perplexed :perplexed and what I may have to do to "fix" it if it does not turn out right.

you may also want to try flexi rods.
sometimes its easier to get to the roots with them.

i am still trying to master a rollerset i have trouble making sure my roots are tight i may be putting to much hair in each roller. same with flexi rods but i find the result is slightly different with both. i do get compliments from on them even tho its not something i can say i am proud of yet. i need to try different things while rollersetting.

over all i love it because i can airdry and get a sleek look. jus getting used to sleeping on rollers not as easy.:ohwell:

I have found that using the magnetic hair rollers are the best for my hair also. If you keep your hair very wet after shampooing and conditioning your hair ends will stick on the hair roller as you start rolling from the ends. After you give the roller 2 or 3 turns from the ends then you can start pulling the roller tight as you wind your hair around it. This helps your roots and curls to come out sleek and straight also, no matter how many weeks post relaxer you are. Using the magnetic rollers with the clamps that come with it helps set the curls tight because you put the clamp as close to the scalp as possible, and the roller will not move. Sometimes I have to move the clamp because I sometimes get it too tight. I've learned alot of this on the forum, and my hair is healthier as a result. I still have a flat iron and curling iron but I can't remember how many years its been since I used it. My hair is healthier and thriving. I also use a minimum amount of foaming setting lotion, this has always worked for me with fantasia frizz ease serum on the ends for smoothness. :p Another word, never part hair wider than the roller and use a minimum amount of hair in the roller if rolling for pretty curls, which I have also learned from LHCF and trial and error. I don't even have to use my flexi rods for spirals because I find my hair is coming out spirally with my magnetics. The only thing I hate is sleeping on these, when I'm too lazy to dry under dryer or most of the time for the health of my hair and the body it gives me. Sorry so long, I haven't posted in a while and I got a little carried away.:dance7:

I ALSO LOVE TO ROLLER SET WHEN MY HAIR WAS A LITTLE LONGER AND WHEN IT WAS CUT SHORT I JUST MAKE COMB THE HAIR REAL STRAIGH AND HOLD IT STRAIGT AND USE ALOT OF LEAVE IN CON AND MOISTURIZER AND NO HEAT AND IT COMES OUT LIKE I USE HEAT MY GRANDMOTHER USE TO DO HAIR SO I SEEN ALOT OF ROLLER SETTING U JUST HAVE TO KEEP THE ROLLER CLOSE AND THE HAIR STRAIGTH AND I USE END PAPER CAUSE IT HELP TO HOLD MY HAIR TOGETHER MY GRANDMOTHER MADE ME SET EVERY NIGHT BUT THE WEEKEND CAUSE I HAD WASH IT JUST TAKE YOUR TIME AND YOU WILL BE DOING IT WITH YOUR EYES CLOSE CAUSE IF MY DAUG CAN DO IT ANY BODY CAN SHE WOULD RAP HAIR AROUND THE ROLLER SO JACK UP UNITL THE NEXT DAY U COULDNOT GET THEM OUT WITH PULLING OUT HER HAIR LOL UNITL SHE TOOK HER TIME

I think of my head like a diagram and it's super-easy. I get beautiful smooth sets everytime. In fact I leave the salon wet after my relaxer because I prefer the way I set my own hair so I do it when I get home. It's the only way I style my hair.

Try thinking of your head in sections: The middle section is your mohawk and you don't want to grab any section of hair that's wider than the curler you're putting it around. Roll the mohawk section first by holding the hair up, dragging the curler all the way to the ends to smooth them, and then gently rolling your hair down toward your scalp in the direction of the back of your neck. Use a rat-tailed comb to section and don't take too much hair onto each roller--unless it's dry and the curler won't pop off. If it's wet, it'll take forever to dry with too much hair on the curler. I find it works to try to clip each curler with metal clips to the one in front of it by their sides--that helps keep roots smooth and curlers secure. Then take either side and do it the same way. If you hair hair left above your ears, curl that up toward the middle of your head, or down toward your ears and secure. My hair likes straight lines, tho I don't do straight parts. I just section hair.

I use the hard plastic curlers you find in the salon--I was using red for the longest time, but recently switched to the big purple plastic ones. I use the metal hair clamps to secure. The magnetic rollers I'm thinking of aren't big enough for longer hair and can make a wet set come out VERY tight--and they would take forever to dry. And to maintain my set I wrap huge sections of hair around just a few Solar curlers--or just pull it into a high ponytail at bedtime. When your hair is dry, you can avoid getting a too-tight curl by wrapping more hair around fewer rollers.

Last edited:
i did it i did it i did it!!!!!

took me about 35 minutes to roll it up and while it wasn't perfect, it was way better than yesterday.... i used my Mane N Tail soy oil cream to set it and that was WAY too heavy overall (i probably should have just stuck with my lottabody), but i like the way the hair turned out on the ends... my roots were another issue but that'll come with practice i suppose... only one curl was still not completely dry when i took the rollers out but i can live with that.... since my purpose definitely wasn't to have curls, just dry my hair w/ some body, i got what i bargained for...

uploaded the pics in my fotki!!!

SqrpioQutie said:

took me about 35 minutes to roll it up and while it wasn't perfect, it was way better than yesterday.... i used my Mane N Tail soy oil cream to set it and that was WAY too heavy overall (i probably should have just stuck with my lottabody), but i like the way the hair turned out on the ends... my roots were another issue but that'll come with practice i suppose... only one curl was still not completely dry when i took the rollers out but i can live with that.... since my purpose definitely wasn't to have curls, just dry my hair w/ some body, i got what i bargained for...

:D :D :D :D :D
Congratulations. And your rollers look perfect to me!

That came out great! Congrats, girl!:D

SqrpioQutie said:

Back