Looks like everyone is cathcing on to MN...

PanamasOwn

MN scientifically explained

I got bored at work today and found this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68526&page=3

MN IS part of a chemical family known as Imidazoles. Ketoconazole (Nizoral) is its chemical cousin. Ditto for Diflucan (Fluconazole) and Sporanox (Itraconazole). Allylamines also possess this property. Terbinafine (Lamisil) is in the allylamine family and has been clinically proven to acelerate hair growth and thicken hair strands.

Apparently Azoles and allylamines all induce rapid hair growth and will wake up dormant follicles from their resting phase. Many studies also show them to help people who are going bald get their hair back.

If in fact it does wake up dormant follicles and forces them to assimilate to some degree, I can see whay the headaches ensue for some opposed to others. If your hair is not in resting phase, you are simply adding to already growing cycle, hence not getting the headaches, just results.

Last edited:
Great info!! I tried one tube of MN months ago and did not experience one headache. I mixed two tubes a recently(with other oils) to make a bigger batch; and thought these headaches were due to that- which made me swear it off! I may be in resting phase:spinning: Thanks!

I get headaches with MN. I woke up with them when I used it.

I also got this when I tried a sulfur mixture I made.

But I have learned that my resting phase changes all year long. that is why hair hair grows unevenly. At one time of the year, it is growing like crazy in the nape and then that slows down and it changes to the crown. It has taken a while for me to realize that.

Maybe that's why I get headaches. At any given moment, I am in the growing phase and resting phase depending on the section.

Either way, I could not hang.

Lenzis Request oil is boosting my growth and I get no headaches, though.

interesting.

I get light headaches here and there but wow thats great to know. Atleast it's not cancer or anything freaky like that..phew

Awesome info.

There are many studies that prove MN to be a good growth aid.
Here is a brief abstract for a study conducted by the Eurpoean Journal of Dermatology

Two female patients having white piedra of the scalp hairs are reported. Both the patients presented with hair loss and whitish nodules on the hairs. In both, the diagnosis was confirmed by KOH examination and culture. A remarkable improvement was observed after use of 2% miconazole nitrate lotion for 8 weeks.

I know there are TONS of threads about this -- so I feel bad for asking, bu the search tried to tell me that there were no results. Anyway -- where do you all buy your MN? I think I remember seeing that one source was Neosporin...?

Alot of the ladies on here swear by the Family Dollar brand if you have those where you live.

I know there are TONS of threads about this -- so I feel bad for asking, bu the search tried to tell me that there were no results. Anyway -- where do you all buy your MN? I think I remember seeing that one source was Neosporin...?

Wow, this is great info!! I need to get back on that MN. I used it for a few weeks, but was inconsistent with it and stopped using it when I found MTG and BT. I guess it might be worth looking into again. Thanks for posting!!

Sooo....I'm sitting over here staring at my full tube of Monistat that I bought for "just in case" But um......I don't know.....Ahhh do I want my hair to grow THAT bad???

Good article though.

Great and very interesting info. I love using MN like no other and wish I would have only knew about it at the start of my journey. I have been using off and on and have seen nothing but positive things from it. It seems that alot of people are catching on and products are also being made with it in it.

I got my MN from www.Americarx.com; it was uber cheap for like $3.74; if I am not mistaken, it is on sale now.

I got the one called Miconazole Nitrate 2% - it was manufactured by Taro, but other than that, it must be like a generic.

HTH!

Is anyone STILL using MN ... or was it just a hyped up fad??
It's 2010.. and I notice this forum was back in 07. I'm late... but I'd love to hear from anyone who still uses it (for some reason, I doubt many of you still are)... or WHY you may have used it and stopped.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for your time ladies!

I just bought some MN and I'm about to try it, probably rotating with my megatek and castor oil. I am really needing some super growth right now, after the bad year I've had. I will chip in later when I get some good results.

ive been using a mn and sulfur mix for a month cant tell if my growth is any faster yet but ill keep u posted

i been using MN and MT mixed with jojoba for a week and a half and already have lil tiny hairs growing in this balding crown area i have hidden. lol
hth

Re: MN scientifically explained

I got bored at work today and found this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68526&page=3

MN IS part of a chemical family known as Imidazoles. Ketoconazole (Nizoral) is its chemical cousin. Ditto for Diflucan (Fluconazole) and Sporanox (Itraconazole). Allylamines also possess this property. Terbinafine (Lamisil) is in the allylamine family and has been clinically proven to acelerate hair growth and thicken hair strands.

Apparently Azoles and allylamines all induce rapid hair growth and will wake up dormant follicles from their resting phase. Many studies also show them to help people who are going bald get their hair back.

If in fact it does wake up dormant follicles and forces them to assimilate to some degree, I can see whay the headaches ensue for some opposed to others. If your hair is not in resting phase, you are simply adding to already growing cycle, hence not getting the headaches, just results.
I use Nizoral shampoo for shedding and it works. Recommend by my derm, cost about $10 at wally world.

Re: MN scientifically explained

I use Nizoral shampoo for shedding and it works. Recommend by my derm, cost about $10 at wally world.

I use Nizoral for my scalp, if it helps with my growth that will be an added bonus!

Back