looking for a good clarifying shampoo and protein conditioner

H0tPinkButtafly

I need some suggestions for these two. When I went to bss they don't have any clarifying shampoos. Everything is called cleansers and I'm not sure if it's the same thing as a clarifying poo. I also need suggestions for protein condish

Last edited:
Although I've been natural several times before, this is the first time that I've become educated about my hair and ingredients. I recently purchased ORS aloe shampoo to clarify (or to chelate...I'm still unclear on the difference) my hair but haven't used it. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

A definite crowd pleaser is Aubrey GPB, which I've used and really like, for a light protein conditioner. I also have Aubrey Island Naturals, which I like as well, for a protein conditioner. One of the ladies here recommended That I try Millcreek Biotin and Millcreek Keratin (I think that's the name of the second one). I've used them both once and liked them both. Silk Dreams products also have a following here and has a few protein options. I'm waiting on my first order from the most recent sale and can't really give you any feedback though.

I hope the more knowledgable ladies drop by to give you more direction. Good luck!

I use it's creamy aloe shampoo. It clarifies and chelates. I also heard it neutralizes as well. But I'm thinking of trying the neutrogena clarifying because I just notice the it's creamy aloe has a cone which is stupid because it's suppose to get rid of buildup. I hear a lot of people swear by ors Mayo for protein and it doesn't make the hair dry like other protein and it feels so afterwards so you don't need to use a moisturizing conditioner after. The ors mayo is medium protein

I like the mills creek biotin because of the cool feeling and it has a lot of slip. I have to pick me up some more. And it's natural I believe I can't remember. If you like combing conditioners through and a peppermint feeling than you will like it

Maybe try and mix up your own stuff before spending money. Yogurt is the best protein conditioner i have tried despite numerous purchases and other attempts.

When I am forced to clarify I just get a 1 dollar bottle of V05.These days warm water and my shampoo bar seem to take care of my cleansing needs since I no longer things that caused my build up.

I love VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying shampoo. It doesn't leave my hair stripped and it's 99cents. Win win!
As far as protein conditioner, I love Mane n Tail. My hair loves it.

My favorites are:

- Clarifiers & Chelators
Elucence Acidifying: great ingredients, highly concentrated, non-stripping, cost effective ($12 for a liter bottle that lasts for-ev-er)
ORS Creamy Aloe: decent ingredients; non-stripping

- Protein Treatments/Conditioners
Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner: light; excellent ingredients, great slip
ORS Replenishing Conditioner: light; great combination of moisture and slip with a protein kick
Silicon Mix: light to medium; also provides moisture and slip, nips breakage in its tracks, cost effective ($12 for a 36oz jar)
Colorful Neutral Protein Filler: light to medium; liquid; excellent ingredients, highly flexible (can be added to DCs, conditioners and spritzes for a protein boost)
SSI Okra/Fortifying Masque: medium; excellent ingredients; excellent sources of moisture and protein, can be pricey without a sale
Komaza Protein Strengthener: hard; easy to use, creamy consistency, great slip, stops breakage

My favorites are:

- Clarifiers & Chelators
Elucence Acidifying: great ingredients, highly concentrated, non-stripping, cost effective ($12 for a liter bottle that lasts for-ev-er)
ORS Creamy Aloe: decent ingredients; non-stripping

- Protein Treatments/Conditioners
Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner: light; excellent ingredients, great slip
ORS Replenishing Conditioner: light; great combination of moisture and slip with a protein kick
Silicon Mix: light to medium; also provides moisture and slip, nips breakage in its tracks, cost effective ($12 for a 36oz jar)
Colorful Neutral Protein Filler: light to medium; liquid; excellent ingredients, highly flexible (can be added to DCs, conditioners and spritzes for a protein boost)
SSI Okra/Fortifying Masque: medium; excellent ingredients; excellent sources of moisture and protein, can be pricey without a sale
Komaza Protein Strengthener: hard; easy to use, creamy consistency, great slip, stops breakage

PJaye

I didn't know silicon mix is a protein conditioner. I was just going to use that as my moisturizing condish... I DC with Silicon Mix about twice a week.

Last edited:
Although I've been natural several times before, this is the first time that I've become educated about my hair and ingredients. I recently purchased ORS aloe shampoo to clarify (or to chelate...I'm still unclear on the difference) my hair but haven't used it. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

A definite crowd pleaser is Aubrey GPB, which I've used and really like, for a light protein conditioner. I also have Aubrey Island Naturals, which I like as well, for a protein conditioner. One of the ladies here recommended That I try Millcreek Biotin and Millcreek Keratin (I think that's the name of the second one). I've used them both once and liked them both. Silk Dreams products also have a following here and has a few protein options. I'm waiting on my first order from the most recent sale and can't really give you any feedback though.

I hope the more knowledgable ladies drop by to give you more direction. Good luck!
This is my first time I'm trying to become knowledgeable about my hair and ingredients also. I'm looking for good clarifying shampoo, moisturizing shampoo, protein conditioner and moisturizing conditioner. When I went to the bss store there was do much to choose from I ended up getting nothing lol. I like to read reviews first

I need some suggestions for these two. When I went to bass they don't have any clarifying shampoos. Everything is called cleansers and I'm not sure if it's the same thing as a clarifying poo. I also need suggestions for protein condish

I use Tresseme deep cleansing shampoo. Cheap. Fairly gentle for a clarifier.

Hairveda methi sativa two step protein conditioner for a hard protein that's gentle

Hairveda MoisturePro for a lighter protein conditioner that is also effective.

Does it have cones? @Lissa0821

Lilmama1011 Here is the ingredients list:

Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocomide Mea, Ammonium Chloride, Fragrance (Parfum), Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Tetrasodium Edta, Dmdm Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Tocopheryl Acetate [Vitamin E Acetate], Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Ppg-9, Blue 1 (Ci 42090), Red 33 (Ci 17200).

If you have a lot of gunk, Suave's clarifying poo is great. You'll need to follow up with a moisturizing shampoo afterwards tho.

It's crazy how people are successful with using things under 2 dollars when people are spending 7 or more for no reason. I ran out of my ors creamy aloe shampoo and I don't think I will be spending that much again even though it's not expensive. But why spend more? To me shampoo is shampoo any way. Shampoo leaves my hair tangly anyway

I love VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying shampoo. It doesn't leave my hair stripped and it's 99cents. Win win!
My hair likes the Vanilla Tea version of this product more.:perplexed:yep: But bottom line it's cheap and gets the job done.

When I want to switch up products, Tresemme Deep Cleansing works well too. I use it especially when I swim.

I know what you mean about all the choices in the stores. That's probably why I'm a product junkie. Lol.

You know what? One of the best protein conditioners that I've used was homemade. I used an avocado, a banana, some coconut milk, avj and some heavier oil (castor or olive oil). I also added some vitamin E for as a preservative. It worked really well. I used it every 4 days for 2 weeks and credit it for helping my hair accept more moisture. So like someone mentioned unthread, maybe homemade would be a good place to start until you find something that you like.

This is my first time I'm trying to become knowledgeable about my hair and ingredients also. I'm looking for good clarifying shampoo, moisturizing shampoo, protein conditioner and moisturizing conditioner. When I went to the bss store there was do much to choose from I ended up getting nothing lol. I like to read reviews first

H0tPinkButtafly

I say Elucence Acidifying for the Clarifying Shampoo.

I've had my same liter since I joined the Forum. It's Cheap, it's Great and it lasts a long time.'

Not only does it clairify, it also chelates and neutralizes too. (Really Good Stuff).

For a Protein DC'er: I'd probably say Claudie's Protein Renew. thebomb.gov

And there are some other good ones out there: Cathy Howse UBH, Curl Junkie, Hairveda, SheScentIt and the usual suspects.

Back