Longer Hair = More Shedding?

vickiepickles

All About Me!
Do you all notice that the longer your hair gets, the more shedding you have? /images/graemlins/confused.gif I was just wondering and I could just be overreacting, but I had my hair up in a baggie for a couple days and I took it down tonite to apply some more moisterizer and thought I had more than average shedding.

I don't know that mine sheds more, but obviously the hairs are much longer. But, shedding UP TO 100 hairs per day is normal. I can't front though, if I was shedding 100 hairs per day, I'd be going crazy! I'm paranoid enough as it is when it comes to my hair. But, I suppose it possible that longer hair can shed more, maybe because the hairs are older?

Vickie, I have noticed the same and I am unsure if this is normal. I thought it was a result of me stretching out my relaxer.

When hair strands reach the end of their growing cycle, they shed. So it is possible that it might be shedding more, esp if you're doing sth that's making your hair get to that last growth stage quicker...like taking supps. Don't quote me on that though. That's just me attempting to do sth dangerous like think logically. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif
OK, I think I'll go sit somewhere now before I hurt myself.

ive just noticed the more new growth i have, the more shedding i get when i comb my hair

I haven't noticed. Just remember, that shedded hair that's long looks like a lot. Like Supergirl said in another thread, it wraps around the comb more times because it's longer (making it look like more hair has shed).

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I haven't noticed. Just remember, that shedded hair that's long looks like a lot. Like Supergirl said in another thread, it wraps around the comb more times because it's longer (making it look like more hair has shed).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....I never thought about this. Now that I think of it, I find it rather true! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for your replies. I am probably overreacting and not taking into consideration the fact that my hair has been up for a couple days without combing or running my fingers through it.

According to that Geroge Michael(hair dresser/stylist) you're supposed to shed less the longer your hair gets. Since my hair was in braids when it was shorter I have no way of knowing.
I shed more now when I'm close to touch up time but I have managed to cut it down from about 30 a day to about 10. Maybe it was seasonal shedding before...I know I have seasonal peeling too (hands and feet) /images/graemlins/confused.gif

LOL! My hands and feet peel also when the weather changes from summer to fall. I said I was related to snakes! LOL

Back