LONG TERM STRETCHERS....HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN....

blackindia07

...its time to stop your stretch? Im currently at 24 weeks post and Im not sure if Im doing more harm than good. I have been wearing my hair in a curly WnG (which I scrunch to achieve) and I keep finding knots at the ends of my hair. Also, my hair seems to mat together, which it never did before.

But I guess I should also explain that I currently have 3 texture hair. I have my mostly straight relaxed hair, a few inches of texlaxed and a few inches of new growth.

Dont bother to ask what my goal is as far the amount of time I am looking to stretch because Im just going. :drunk: I would LOVE to make it thru the summer and have toyed with the idea of transitioning. I wanted to see how well I managed a long term stretch to see if I can manage natural hair.

What to do...what to do!??!?! I need someone to tell me what to do so that way if it doesnt work out I have someone to blame!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Should I end my stretch?

TIA!!!

...its time to stop your stretch? Im currently at 24 weeks post and Im not sure if Im doing more harm than good. I have been wearing my hair in a curly WnG (which I scrunch to achieve) and I keep finding knots at the ends of my hair. Also, my hair seems to mat together, which it never did before.

But I guess I should also explain that I currently have 3 texture hair. I have my mostly straight relaxed hair, a few inches of texlaxed and a few inches of new growth.

Dont bother to ask what my goal is as far the amount of time I am looking to stretch because Im just going. :drunk: I would LOVE to make it thru the summer and have toyed with the idea of transitioning. I wanted to see how well I managed a long term stretch to see if I can manage natural hair.

What to do...what to do!??!?! I need someone to tell me what to do so that way if it doesnt work out I have someone to blame!!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:

Should I end my stretch?

TIA!!!

My question is also how do you define your stretch period? And, when do you know it's time to stop? Currently I'm stretching and much like you, I'm just stretching without a defined period. :nono: I just want a healthier head of hair but don't know when to end the stretch.

I only started stretching & texlaxing last year. The longest Ive gone before was about 4 - 4 1/2 months. I had a lot of trouble managing my new growth which is what would always make me end my stretch. But that isnt actually a problem this time. Its the matting, the feeling of never completely detangling, and the knots and the end of my hair.

Hey blackindia07, I'm in the same boat; on a long stretch and not quite sure what I'm doin with it :lol:. I don't know when to end it, but there are somethings that are helping me with the tangles, knots and matting.

1. I don't wear my hair 'out' often; esp. any style with scrunching involved. That is just asking for trouble. I do updos and buns.

2. Frequent Dcing. The more conditioned the hair is the easier to manipulate.

3. Keeping up with the protein, esp for the relaxed ends. I esp like the Hard core aphogee (2-step) every 6 weeks. Of course always follwed by a very moisturizing DC.

4. Keeping my porosity in check.

5. Clear rinses. These smooth the cuticle and really cut down on the hair snagging on itself My favorites are Elasta QP clear and John freida Clear Glaze.

Hey blackindia07, I'm in the same boat; on a long stretch and not quite sure what I'm doin with it :lol:. I don't know when to end it, but there are somethings that are helping me with the tangles, knots and matting.

1. I don't wear my hair 'out' often; esp. any style with scrunching involved. That is just asking for trouble. I do updos and buns.

3. Keeping up with the protein, esp for the relaxed ends. I esp like the Hard core aphogee (2-step) every 6 weeks. Of course always follwed by a very moisturizing DC.

5. Clear rinses. These smooth the cuticle and really cut down on the hair snagging on itself My favorites are Elasta QP clear and John freida Clear Glaze.

Thanks Halee...sounds like you know what youre doing. Im scared to do a protein treatment because my hair is protein sensitive. Even light protein like Chi Keratin Mist makes my hair super hard the second it touches it.

But what is a clear rinse??? Sounds interesting....

Hello,
(1) How do you keep your porosity in check?
(2) I also use Aphogee 2 step. What type of DC do you use?
(3) How (or at what step) do you incorporate the clear rinse in your process?

what's usually the tell-tale signs that its time to cut the stretching short? besides the breakage of course lol

Thanks Halee...sounds like you know what youre doing. Im scared to do a protein treatment because my hair is protein sensitive. Even light protein like Chi Keratin Mist makes my hair super hard the second it touches it.

But what is a clear rinse??? Sounds interesting....

Hey girlie, sorry I took so long to come back. a clear rinse is like a semi permanent dye without the color. It just deposits a colourless coat around the hair shaft, which seals the cuticle making it smoother and shinier and helps the hair hold moisture better.

If your hair is protein sensitive, then I would recommend the John Freida Clear Glaze, which can be used weekly or daily (very little protein) or Elasta QP color in clear (no protein). The Elasta QP lasts about 6-10 shampoos. Both brands leave my hair super soft.

The Elasta QP does contain SD alcohol but I don't find it to be drying at all and I always follow with a DC anyway.

If you decide to try a clear rinse, avoid anything with ammonia and peroxide in them.

HTH

Hello,
(1) How do you keep your porosity in check?
(2) I also use Aphogee 2 step. What type of DC do you use?
(3) How (or at what step) do you incorporate the clear rinse in your process?

Hey divachyk,

(1) Well to keep it in check you first need to know where you stand, If you porosity is normal, if its high/overly porous, or if its low:

You can test your porosity by taking a shed hair and putting it in a glass of water. If your hair sinks in a minute or less then your hair may be overly porous.

You can also tell your porosity by how long your hair takes to 'wet' in the shower. If your hair absorbs water easily and quickly then your hair may be overly porous. If you hair takes a while to feel wet then you may have low porosity.

Also the more porous your hair is, the faster it dries. If your hair dries quickly without heat you may have overly porous hair.

Hair that is overly porous tends to be rough, not hold moisture well and tangles very easily. My hair tends to be on the overly porous side, so I use a low pH product Roux Porosity control. You can also use diluted ACV. Clear rinses also help with overly porous hair.

One of our members, Sistaslick writes excellent hair articles. Here's a link to one about porosity; she explains everything really well. newflowers also has a really great thread about using Porosity control and ACV Porosity-the forgotten step

(2) Any moisturizing deep conditioner will work, once it softens your hair. Right now, I like Taaliah Waajid Enhncing Herbal conditioner.

(3) I don't do the clear rinse and the 2 step on the same day. I usually wait a week after I do the 2-step to do the clear rinse. If you are relaxed, alot of ladies do their rinse the same day of their relaxer. After rinsing out the neut. shampoo, before the DC.

HTH

what's usually the tell-tale signs that its time to cut the stretching short? besides the breakage of course lol

When I really think about it, I think its time to stop when the health of your relaxed hair is in jepoardy. Like if you are getting increased breakage, splits or if you have to be manipulating the hair alot more. To me that defeats the purpose.

What I also think defeats the purpose when you are fed up :lol: and are so overwhelmed by the NG that you dont treat the hair properly.

Thank you all so much ladies!!!! I think I found out what my problem was....my hair was not being thoroughly detangled. I usually use just a wide tooth comb but I think the tangled and matted hair was basically going between the teeth of the comb.

Hold on to your seat...I know A LOT of ladies are going to balk but....I used several small tooth combs!!! I know youre going to want to :spank: me! But it worked.

First I used Joico Kpac (my first protein treatment) as a prepoo, shampooed once with Burts Bees (the jurys still out on that one) deep conditioned with a mixture of Crece pelo (dominican dc), cholesterol, silicon mix, sweet almond oil and something else. Slathered that on and sat under the steamer for 30 mins.

Once that was done I parted my hair into small sections and detangled it with 5 different sized combs. Obviously starting with my wide tooth and ending with a fine tooth. I took my time and did not lose much hair at all.

Afterward I was too lazy to rinse and didnt have time to let my hair airdry before beddy bye so I wrapped my head in saran wrap and a scarf and went to sleep.

This morning I rinsed, used my porosity control and pantene curls conditioner. Added IC moisturizer, olive oil moisturizing lotion, then my leave in conditioner mixed with oils and scrunched.

My hair looks FAB!!!! Its super soft...all the frizz and matts are gone and I have a very happy chick!!!!

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Back