Long Hair Sitings!!!!

Mahalialee4

Do you ever try to act cool and nonchalant when you are out and about and spot an unknown AA sister with long (her own) hair??? My most recent siting: Today! She had a relaxer,and her hair was in a loose high ponytail. I am very good at detecting fake hair. It was real and the length of the ponytail ended at the bottom of her bra strap! So that means that it must be nearly waistlength. She was not mixed, in fact she was fairly dark skinned and about 40. She was seriously due for a touchup, so I could tell that she was about a 4 something in hair type. I followed her and her friend around for awhile.
cool.gif
blush.gif
, just had to get a close
shocked.gif
while I tried to act
cool.gif
. We have some very obsessed women on this board
grin.gif
Care to share some sitings? This one inspired me!!!
lick.gif
Last year I saw a little girl AA about 5-6 and she had the longes thickest and (coarse) hair I have ever seen on a child. The thickness was unbelievable and she looked like a beautiful wildchild, because I do not think that it had been combed for awhile, but it was healthy and beautiful. She had more hair on her head than some three women put together. I just stared and stared like an idiot. (they were in a grocery line) Her's was natural unrelaxed.It would have stretched to her tailbone easily. And yes it was the genuine unmixed hair tied up in a ponytail and about a 4c. I am used to long healthy hair on black women and children but her's was exceptional. I think I need to walk with a camera, but you really have to be careful about that sort of thing...some people could turn on you and with minors it is not a good idea unless you ask parental permission. In fact you should ask anyone if it is alright.
look.gif
Bonjour.

Hey Mahalialee! Yeah, just yesterday I was telling my sister that there were women allll over with minimum of bra strap lengh hair. I just kept on running into them. Straight AA... no mix as you said. I don't have a problem complimenting women on their hair but what I have noticed is that "we" don't like to share with each other "on the street." One girl I saw had very pretty thick hair. All I did was compliment her hair and she responded by saying "I don't even do anything to it and I don't take hair vitamins either. I shrugged and said "alrighty then." What was that all about. She was very evasive and standoffish about her hair. I reeeeally don't get it.

There's a woman I see occassionally on the train with type 4 hair that's waist length. She usually wears it in a loose ponytail and one day she wore it out and it just flawless.

Since joining this board, I find myself staring at healthy hair in general, whether it's long or short or medium length. I got into a "hair" conversation just last Friday with a woman on the train who has 3a natural hair that's long and flawless and she doesn't do anything spectacular to it. Gets it cut and it grows back really fast. I think she doesn't even appreciate her hair because all she could talk about was my eyebrows.

I especially love to see little girls with long natural hair
smile.gif
. I just hope they don't "mess up" their hair when they start doing it themselves, like I did.

I saw some cute girls running down the street playing (about 5) anyways each of then had a diff hair type, one had straight asian hair very thick, below shoulder length, one caucasian had blond wavy hair about shoulder, and a girl of african decent but obviously not straight up AA with long thick natural 3b hair in a ponytail that reached her mid-back.
I also saw this medium skin tone(tan) mexican young woman at the grocery store, w/ butt-length hair jet black, thick and curly about 3c/4a.
I was like I want to be like them when I grow up.
laugh.gif

i used to babysit this little girl about 7 and her hair was bra strap length back then. recently i saw her and now she's about 11 and her hair is waist length! i personally know her family and know she's not mixed or anything and her hair has been relaxed since she was about 10 years old. her hair is type 4b, and very thick and coarse!
smile.gif
i also know her mom is obsessed with Motions products and use their daily moisturizer on her hair everyday.

Two years ago when I worked at a bank this co-worker had long hair almost down to her waist. She wasn't mixed either more like she was brown skinned. Since we talk every once in a while I complimented on her hair. I can tell that it was hers so I asked her what she use for her hair. She said she just take Centrium everyday which made her hair grow as long as it did. She was real nice about it. I couldn't tell whether her hair was naturally straight but it sure looked healthy.

Last month I almost stalked this girl on the campus shuttle bus. I kept saying to myself should I say something, should I not! Her hair was the length of Aaliyah's and in that style, but not a bone straight relaxer she was prob. a 4A or B. Finally when we got off at the same stop (it was really my stop, honest!
smile.gif
) I told her that I thought her hair was gorgeous & she was really gracious and nice about it. I'd feel funny asking for like her regime though.

2nd Siting: There's this black lady who I sometimes see on the metro who has waist length unrelaxed hair and people stare like this
shocked.gif
when they see her it's amazing and she's like a 4C!
smile.gif

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
ms_kenesha said:
2nd Siting: There's this black lady who I sometimes see on the metro who has waist length unrelaxed hair and people stare like this
shocked.gif
when they see her it's amazing and she's like a 4C!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
grin.gif
How long must her hair be if she straightened it. mmm
sleeping.gif

me dreaming about waist length natural hair

what these sitings do is dismiss the negative and discouraging myths that have been relatively reinforced in general for years. But obviously, some are not allowing themselves to be stereotyped anymore by anyone. Keep posting. This is very excellent positive encouragement and reinforcement of our good hair care practices.
smile.gif
smile.gif

My aunts..... sigh. how i love yet envy them lol

I was in jamaica for a visit,, if youve ever been there outside the tourist traps,,, youll realise most jamiacan have short hair or weaves,, so it must have looked surreal when my three aunts all with NATURAL waist lenght hair, my mother (with brastrap length), and i (shoulder lenght at the time) were walking down the market place.You should have seen the stares and whispers and ......catcalls lol

i promised them that next time i visit i was going to have waist length hair as well. an im well on my way. Im at brastrap right now... thank gawd. i dont have far to go.

I was in jamaica for a visit,, if youve ever been there outside the tourist traps,,, youll realise most jamiacan have short hair or weaves,, so it must have looked surreal when my three aunts all with NATURAL waist lenght hair, my mother (with brastrap length), and i (shoulder lenght at the time) were walking down the market place.You should have seen the stares and whispers and ......catcalls lol

[/ QUOTE ]

And yetANOTHER generalization. I don't know what part of Jamaica you've visited, but where I'm from and where I've been the women have strong, healthy hair. Not all of them have long hair and not all of them have short hair... So please, before you post a generalization about an entire population of people, make sure that you have enough knowledge to back it up.

Thanx

fine i wont generalize.. in downtown manndiville(sp?) when i went shopping on a certain day in aug of '02, there were not too many ppl with shoulder length or longer hair.

SweetNic_JA said:

[/ QUOTE ]

And yetANOTHER generalization. I don't know what part of Jamaica you've visited, but where I'm from and where I've been the women have strong, healthy hair. Not all of them have long hair and not all of them have short hair... So please, before you post a generalization about an entire population of people, make sure that you have enough knowledge to back it up. Thanx

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing. My mother is Jamaican and I find that most Jamaicans have very nice looking hair. My cousin has the prettiest, thickest head of hair. She has always taken care of it with rollersets since she was young. I have always envied her for that. Jamaicans REALLY know how to take care of their hair!!!
smile.gif
Funny that now that she lives in the U.S. her hair isn't as healthy looking as it used to be!!!
frown.gif

Girl, you are too funny!!! I understood what you meant when you said MOST...not all. That's cool though, people shouldn't get all caught up on little stuff like that. Anyways, that's good that you're hair is growing. In no time you'll have hair like your aunts and mom and the next time all of you go back to Jamaica, everyone will look like this
shocked.gif
again. You go girl!

Em gurl, would you be kind enough to ask your mom and aunts for their hair regimes and post it on the board? We love us some long hair here on the Long Hair Care Forum.
wink.gif
Thanks.
wink.gif
Bonjour.

I have a Dominican friend with very beautiful hair. She is probably like a 3a (like Dianna Ross's daughter). It's natural and it reaches inches below brawstrap unstreched. I can't imagine it's length when she stretches it. Anyway her hair always looks good and the other day she turned to ME for advice about hair. I was suprised because she seems to have a good thing going - whatever she is or isn't doing. Anyway she was interested on how to battle dryness (her hair never looks dry to me). I told her about condition washes and she's going to give it a try.

As for other sitings, I have seen many. I saw this woman with THE MOST BEAUTIFUL HAIR. She had dreads all the way down to her butt!! I was in awe. They were well maintained an beautiful. Another siting was a while ago in highschool. There was this girl (about a 4a/b/c ) with very long, thick hair that passed her bra strap when it was in a high pony tail. There are many others but those are the too that stand out the most.

EMUGIRL...there's no sweat. Just letting u know that generalizing isn't the best thing to do...
naughty.gif

I have a close friend who hair is very long(bra-strap) and I will be posting her pics soon. She straight AA, no mixed blood 4b hair. I do her relaxers all the time. Check out the post I just did on how often to pull relaxers through and give me your opinions.
Not trying to jack the thread
drunk.gif

She's my inspiration
smile.gif

Thanx

I usually see super long hair, but mostly on children. I saw an AA child with really long hair. She had 3 braids into her and then it was tied back into a ponytail. It looked like natural 3c/4a. It touched her butt!!! OHMIGO!!!! Honestly I never thought that black hair (4a/4b) would grow past bra strap length.

How True,,,Mahalia...... A girl who lives in my building shares the same length of hair as mine. But hers is slightly thicker.......It is so beautiful........

SherryLove

I saw this girl whose hair just toched her wasit or another girl past bra strap. And this girl in my school who is friends with me. We both have the same texture but her hair is past her elbows kinda. Even though she is really short. But still whoa.

Thanks Allandra. I am so slow. Doi!!!!! I am supposed to know it is African American. I usually thought it had something to do with bi racial hair. Thank You Allandra.

I saw the most beautiful head of long thick relaxed hair just 2 weeks ago. It was at a hair salon where I had bangs cut.

Her hair was approx one inch close to bra strap. She had subtle permanent colour put in while there that day. I had to comment on her hair it was just so nice. So I asked what conditioner she uses. I mean hey, I had to ask didn't I? She said Motions Moisture Plus and Keracare for shampoo. I asked how she dries her hair and she said she rollarsets.

Its a long time that I've not seen a lovely head of thick long relaxed hair like hers.

Back