Long 4c Hair Inspiration

But looser textures seem easier to maintain in its natural state... so I think curl typing is beneficial for those of us that cannot have the luxury of wash & go, pineapple repeat.

Straight hair majority of the time is not the goal of every natural.

:heart::gorgeous::drool:@Mische
Lovely head of hair!
Finger detangling is something I've been trying to stick with since the fall. Do you have any other retention tips you can share?
@yaya24 Thanks so much.

Aside from finger detangling:

1) Low manipulation - I wash bimonthly at best. I generally keep my hair stretched in a few braids that I pull back into twisted styles or low buns. Anything that keeps my hair protected but also stretched. I've found that braids work better than two strand twists. If I detangle and put my hair in two strand twists, it ends up tangled with my ends torn up somehow. So twists are a no go.
2) Daily moisturizing - I know some people say they don't moisturize between washes but... no. I moisturize and seal daily and part of that is because I do light finger detangling during the process to get shed hairs out.
3) Proper protection - This winter I wore satin lined wool caps from Caheez for the cold weather. When I get home, I toss on a silk scarf or bonnet since I'll be laying around the house.
4) Solid & reliable products - Shescentit, Oyin Handmade, Annabelle Perfect Blends are my staples
5) Proper balancing - I use chelating shampoo (Redken) and a medium protein strengthener (Komaza) every wash day

Looks like her hair started reverting the minute she stepped into the night air.
If she only straightens rarely, especially if she doesn't get it professionally straightened and doesn't know how to really lay it straight when/if she does it herself, it will. It takes a few consecutive straightenings to get it to stay for a while. Mine was the same. I even notice the difference if I blow dry 3 biweekly periods in a row versus once in 2 months.

So, '4c' is back in style for people, huh? I remember the heated debates, when i cared, lol. So I'm not sure if I'm 4b or 4c anymore, 'nappy' is sufficiently descriptive for me.

If she only straightens rarely, especially if she doesn't get it professionally straightened and doesn't know how to really lay it straight when/if she does it herself, it will. It takes a few consecutive straightenings to get it to stay for a while. Mine was the same. I even notice the difference if I blow dry 3 biweekly periods in a row versus once in 2 months.

So, '4c' is back in style for people, huh? I remember the heated debates, when i cared, lol. So I'm not sure if I'm 4b or 4c anymore, 'nappy' is sufficiently descriptive for me.

That video took me back to when I got my hair pressed some years back that took 4 hours and was puffy before I got home that night. I should have just threw that $100 out the window. I ended up relaxing a month later.

Did you grow your hair back out or are you maintaining a twa?

KinkyStyles1980 also has really gorgeous, looong hair.

:love::love:

I just hope my hair paying attention! I'll have 4 years sans relaxer in April and I'm fully expecting it to be where she is this time next year. Despite the fact that I don't ever protective style and hair is out latching on to everything 100% of the time :hair: :lol:

This is why hair typing is crazy without actual size guidelines with pictures and references. I am subscribed to the lady posted in OP because I think we have the same hair type type (4b 4c mix) because the very ends of our hair coil into small coils the size of pen springs or smaller and we both have strands that form small waves and zig zags. It's just hard to see on the length of the hair because of all the frizz and entanglements.

This thread (and typing) has me confused. So do you (anyone) consider 4c texture that which is undefined after washing AND with product? I've read some 4c's say that their hair won't define no matter what they put on it, w/out a braid or twist out or rod set.

This is why I like the curly girl method. It looks at undefined hair as frizz that needs hydration, not a type to be boxed into.

This thread (and typing) has me confused. So do you (anyone) consider 4c texture that which is undefined after washing AND with product? I've read some 4c's say that their hair won't define no matter what they put on it, w/out a braid or twist out or rod set.

This is why I like the curly girl method. It looks at undefined hair as frizz that needs hydration, not a type to be boxed into.

Typing doesn't help or hinder me but I see how it can be useful. I have 4c hair with a little 4b and now when I wash my hair, my strands are fairly defined whilst wet without product.

I do believe that all coils/ curls can look defined with the right techniques (bolded for emphasis) and products- not everyone IRL is scanning for ingredients that work for or against their hair. I've done enough heads of hair to believe that when folks say they can't get their hair to look defined, they must be doing it wrong:lol:.

I love me some MHM and agree with the hair benefiting from hydration, but undefined hair isn't necessarily dry. Combing will also disturb clumping and cause volume and frizz (not a bad thing).

Last edited:
Typing doesn't help or hinder me but I see how it can be useful. I have 4c hair with a little 4b and now when I wash my hair, my strands are fairly defined whilst wet without product.

I do believe that all coils/ curls can look defined with the right techniques (bolded for emphasis) and products- not everyone IRL is scanning for ingredients that work for or against their hair. I've done enough heads of hair to believe that when folks say they can't get their hair to look defined, they must be doing it wrong:lol:.

I love me some MHM and agree with the hair benefiting from hydration, but undefined hair isn't necessarily dry. Combing will also disturb clumping and cause volume and frizz (not a bad thing).

This. When I first started out here I would day my hair was pretty undefined. I tried MHM for a super short time and the technique involved (more than the products) made a difference to defining my coils. Even now I will sometimes try to rake the clay or conditioner or water through my hair.

I knew I was 4c before but with some hydration (while washing) it has become much easier to see.

I'm a 4b not a 4c. So far my e patience is my hair doesn't really define. Perhaps I don't know why I'm doing. Perhaps I'm unwilling to use products that I have sensitivities to.

Once we get something working its easy to dismiss others issues. But until we actually do someone else's hair we really don't know.

There are a lot of variables and its just not the same for everyone. Sometimes even if we can get definition its best t worth it sue to knots and tangles or other issues.

I think lack of definition has less to do with hair type than it has to do with some other characteristics of hair. I've seen 4b and 4c with defined curls.

So I've looked around to get some idea of how Andre Walker defines the 4's. Should have done this from day 1, especially if I planned to describe my hair as a "4".

I haven't read his book but according to http://www.curlcentric.com/hair-typing-system, "Type 4 Kinky Hair: Type 4 is “kinky” or more appropriately full of tight coils (tightly curled hair). Typically, Type 4 hair is also extremely wiry and fragile. Often times, it appears to be coarse, however it is really very fine, with several thin hair strands densely packed together. Note that type 4 hair is one the most common hair types found in black hair (african american hair).
  • Type 4A hair is full of tight coils. It has a “S” pattern when stretched, much like Type 3 curly hair.
  • Type 4B hair has a less defined pattern of curls and looks more like a “Z” as the hair bends with very sharp angles.
  • Type 4C hair isn’t a part of the Andre Walker Hair Typing System. Please see the “what’s missing” section below for more information.
...Type 4C, like Type 3C, isn’t an actual hair type according to Andre Walker’s Hair System. His comments are actually very simple regarding Type 4 (Kinky) hair – if you can see a definite curl pattern, then you have Type 4A hair. If you can’t identify a defined, specific curl pattern, then your hair type is 4B. I would imagine that the Type 4C hair type was created by a member within the natural hair community – just like the Type 3C hair type."

This makes more sense to me as it is curl-pattern specific like the curly girl method. I think 4c was created by women who perhaps didn't understand his "system" or just wanted to add to it.

So I've looked around to get some idea of how Andre Walker defines the 4's. Should have done this from day 1, especially if I planned to describe my hair as a "4".

I haven't read his book but according to http://www.curlcentric.com/hair-typing-system, "Type 4 Kinky Hair: Type 4 is “kinky” or more appropriately full of tight coils (tightly curled hair). Typically, Type 4 hair is also extremely wiry and fragile. Often times, it appears to be coarse, however it is really very fine, with several thin hair strands densely packed together. Note that type 4 hair is one the most common hair types found in black hair (african american hair).
  • Type 4A hair is full of tight coils. It has a “S” pattern when stretched, much like Type 3 curly hair.
  • Type 4B hair has a less defined pattern of curls and looks more like a “Z” as the hair bends with very sharp angles.
  • Type 4C hair isn’t a part of the Andre Walker Hair Typing System. Please see the “what’s missing” section below for more information.
...Type 4C, like Type 3C, isn’t an actual hair type according to Andre Walker’s Hair System. His comments are actually very simple regarding Type 4 (Kinky) hair – if you can see a definite curl pattern, then you have Type 4A hair. If you can’t identify a defined, specific curl pattern, then your hair type is 4B. I would imagine that the Type 4C hair type was created by a member within the natural hair community – just like the Type 3C hair type."

This makes more sense to me as it is curl-pattern specific like the curly girl method. I think 4c was created by women who perhaps didn't understand his "system" or just wanted to add to it.

Last edited:
I hope my post didn't come across a dismissive of others issues when it comes to defined coils/ curls. There can be many things at play when experiencing a lack of definition but I do believe that all coils can be defined, if that's what you are looking for.

My coils do not fit within the confines of Andre's system regarding size of coil or definition. My coils are smaller than 4a and not all look like zig zags or undefined (what is said of 4b).

I have type 4b hair with sections of type 4a in the back. My 4b hair is moisturized, healthy, and has no (very little) curl definition. My type 4b hair consist primarily of fine wavy zig zags that prefer to frizz then coil. While my 4a hair will clump and coil pretty easily.

My observation of my 4b hair and clients whom I've identified as having 4b hair tends to be curl defininition resistence. However, a wave defininition can be created with the proper techniques, even then, once completely dry the hair will want to de-wave/de-clump and frizz. The upside to 4b hair is that due to the lack of springy coils and curls, the hair is very easy to stretch via twist and or braids without a lot of shrinkage or "snap-back".

Thanks for sharing her video! I just suscribed. I cannot believe she is 36?! Mind blown.
KinkyStyles1980 also has really gorgeous, looong hair.

:love::love:

I just hope my hair paying attention! I'll have 4 years sans relaxer in April and I'm fully expecting it to be where she is this time next year. Despite the fact that I don't ever protective style and hair is out latching on to everything 100% of the time :hair: :lol:

@Mische, like we say down here in the Bahmas "Well mudda sickit!" Your hair looks drop dead gorgeous. Hoo, I want hair like that:yep:

Oh yeah right, in regards to the video in the original post - I am subscribed to her videos and I agree with others that she has a very sweet spirit. It is so great and inspiring to see fine 4a/b/c hair can grow that long.

Back