London Women- A New Salon *EXCITED*

Aviah

London Women- A New Salon *EXCITED* UPDATE***

So,
I was in Forest Hill, (South East London). I passed by a new salon, where a woman was handing out leaflets to people as they passed by. Now I'm sure you know that around here, everyone wants to get their hands in your head, and no one looks like they even combed, much less DC'd their own hair that month:ohwell:.

I digress, the woman was well put together, (hair looking decent) and gave me a leaflet. Having trimmed my hair for so long and not having it "evened up" I decided to go in and ask for a consultation.

Girrrrllll....
We talked protein and moisture, lye, and no lye (she was not trying to get me to relax my hair but she was really friendly so the conversation broadened), scissor-happiness, DCing, etc. I am excited, to say the least. Now I'm not ready to even up just yet I decided, but I'll DEFINITELY be looking to book an appointment when I am. It was such a relief to find a black salon, with the stylists hair looking decent, professional, friendly, and caring about the HEALTH of your hair and not just a quick buck for a great style.
***UPDATE***

There is now a website for this place, and I liked them so much I joined them!

http://www.elegancehairstudio.co.uk/

There goes my previous disclaimer!

Last edited:
I'm a student and in North West so its quite a long journey LOL. But it seems nice. If I'm ever in the area and have a hair emergency I know where to go

Me too, would be great to have somewhere that's recommended - I used to work in Pizza Hut in Forest Hill :lol:

I am in London until Sept so I will try and visit. I haven't stepped into a salon in 3 years, since I joined LHCF.
Forest Hill will be a long trek though. Thanks for the info.

So,
I was in Forest Hill, (South East London). I passed by a new salon, where a woman was handing out leaflets to people as they passed by. Now I'm sure you know that around here, everyone wants to get their hands in your head, and no one looks like they even combed, much less DC'd their own hair that month:ohwell:.

:rofl: :rofl: too funny

btw, just checked out your update pics--you're doing an amazing job with your hair

Me too, would be great to have somewhere that's recommended - I used to work in Pizza Hut in Forest Hill :lol:

Its still there!

I am in London until Sept so I will try and visit. I haven't stepped into a salon in 3 years, since I joined LHCF.
Forest Hill will be a long trek though. Thanks for the info.

If I go to them before you do (or even after) I'll post a review on the service.

:rofl: :rofl: too funny

btw, just checked out your update pics--you're doing an amazing job with your hair

lol thanks. But its true! You should see some of the things I see...

Thanks for letting us know. I do not mind the distance as everywhere is for me. It is refreshing to hear about a salon interested in healthy hair care.

Interesting *strokes chin* need a dusting
Do they do roller set Dominican style?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

fairyhairy
Do you mean roller set under the dryer and then blow out?

If so, then yes. However we do consultations before all appointments to decide what is best (in the interests of health and style) with you for your hair (to get a little background info on your hair etc).:yep:

Last edited:
Aviah I live about 15 minutes away from the salon.

I appreciate this isn't a 'natural' salon but have you witnessed staff cutting/shaping natural hair or is braiding and twisting the 'natural' element of the salon?

Aviah I live about 15 minutes away from the salon.

I appreciate this isn't a 'natural' salon but have you witnessed staff cutting/shaping natural hair or is braiding and twisting the 'natural' element of the salon?

Bublin
I have witnessed cutting of natural hair, though it depends on your consultation how it will be done. I guess you could say we service natural hair generally. Brazillian blowdry, straightening, braiding, twisting, detangling gently, loc twisting, etc. As you live so close, why not come and take a look and have a free consultation? It may answer your questions a bit better.

Last edited:
@Bublin
I have witnessed cutting of natural hair, though it depends on your consultation how it will be done. I guess you could say we service natural hair generally. Brazillian blowdry, straightening, braiding, twisting, detangling gently, loc twisting, etc. As you live so close, why not come and take a look and have a free consultation? It may answer your questions a bit better.

Sounds good Aviah and I will pop by very soon. I want my hair to have a nice shape whilst in a braid-out....right now it has no style/shape at all.

I hope the salon owner is paying you for all this advertising :yep:

Have to say I am happy with the results! Went for a wash, press and trim.
One of these days I will go beyond neck length :lol:

Attachments

• image-3767281307.jpg
    image-3767281307.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 71
fairyhairy your hair looks nice and healthy...and I would say you're Shoulder not Neck Length.
Did they use a flat iron or marcel press?
How much did it all cost?

@fairyhairy your hair looks nice and healthy...and I would say you're Shoulder not Neck Length.
Did they use a flat iron or marcel press?
How much did it all cost?

Hi Bublin.

Thank you!

lol know you know you can't claim shoulder length unless its hits a certain point :look:, don't let me start one of those threads :lol:

I requested a flat iron press
£37 for wash and press - this included leaving on the conditioner for about 5-10 minutes

£7 for a trim - this was my main reason for going as after a certain point my hair starts tangling at the ends and I have a terrible habit of picking my ends off :spank:

She did recommend Moroccan oil for the ends but I think any oil should work as long as I do it every other day

I visited Elegance Hair Studio this evening after reading some of the posts here. I have to say I was not impressed at all.

I have been transitioning for 14 months now and feel like am at a crossroads, struggling to continue with the transition and not quite sure whether I want to go ahead and BC. The purpose of the consultation was for me to speak to an hair expert and get some information and advice on keeping the hair healthy whether natural or relaxed and make an informed decision for myself.

I saw a stylist called Nadine whom I did not find to be personable and she was rather patronising. After explaining my situation, she says something along the line of "well I cannot make the decision for you" (she repeats this several times throughout the brief consultation). All the while I'm thinking "DUH! Of course it's not your decision, that's not what I have asked for?!".

I asked what services they had to carter to natural hair and help in managing it. She didn't actually answer the question, instead she advised that my hair was very course therefore I would not be able to remain natural and would end up texturising.

She gave a lot of advice in relation to caring for relaxed hair, a lot of which was good - moisturising, treatments etc (all explained to me as though I am an idiot and couldn't possibly understand the concept). She also mentioned something called "hair memory" which I have never heard of before. Apparently, this is whereby your hair remembers when it's relaxer touchups are due and breaks off if they are not done on time! I thought this was hilarious!

I expected a more open-minded and knowledgeable approach from this salon which I believed was all about the hair health. I was very disappointed and felt it did not live up to the expectation I had based on what I have read here.

I visited Elegance Hair Studio this evening after reading some of the posts here. I have to say I was not impressed at all.

I have been transitioning for 14 months now and feel like am at a crossroads, struggling to continue with the transition and not quite sure whether I want to go ahead and BC. The purpose of the consultation was for me to speak to an hair expert and get some information and advice on keeping the hair healthy whether natural or relaxed and make an informed decision for myself.

I saw a stylist called Nadine whom I did not find to be personable and she was rather patronising. After explaining my situation, she says something along the line of "well I cannot make the decision for you" (she repeats this several times throughout the brief consultation). All the while I'm thinking "DUH! Of course it's not your decision, that's not what I have asked for?!".

I asked what services they had to carter to natural hair and help in managing it. She didn't actually answer the question, instead she advised that my hair was very course therefore I would not be able to remain natural and would end up texturising.

She gave a lot of advice in relation to caring for relaxed hair, a lot of which was good - moisturising, treatments etc (all explained to me as though I am an idiot and couldn't possibly understand the concept). She also mentioned something called "hair memory" which I have never heard of before. Apparently, this is whereby your hair remembers when it's relaxer touchups are due and breaks off if they are not done on time! I thought this was hilarious!

I expected a more open-minded and knowledgeable approach from this salon which I believed was all about the hair health. I was very disappointed and felt it did not live up to the expectation I had based on what I have read here.

Wow, she sounds clueless.

She also mentioned something called "hair memory" which I have never heard of before. Apparently, this is whereby your hair remembers when it's relaxer touchups are due and breaks off if they are not done on time! I thought this was hilarious!

[/QUOTE/]

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Slll mini using LHCF

ntm103 I'm really sorry to hear you had this experience. I also realise this post is VERY late, as I have just renewed my membership again. At the time Nadine was a new stylist (who no longer works there) which I don't know too much about, and have never seen her work . I do know the older stylists, Nisha and Sabrina who both do very good work. This isn't to excuse what was said to you as some of it was very poor information. Did you report this to the manager?

Back