LOL...I guess its a setback then...

maghreblover

So I was very excited waking up this morning because I was getting my hair braided. :grin:

Now I'm just :nono:

I've been transitioning 19 months as of yesterday, so most of my hair is natural. This hair braider of mine complimented my growth, and began braiding. Before she braided each section, she combed it which hurt a lot and seemed to involve a lot of tugging. I complained and she was like, its because I don't comb my hair. It wasn't until she was nearly halfway through my head that I realised why...she was using a fine tooth comb.

And half of my head of hair was now ornamenting the floor. I freaked out and of course took over the combing (with my wide tooth comb, which she's now broken) from then on.

(I know some people will say I should've got up and left, but it wasn't a salon, it was my house. I couldn't send her away with a half done head of hair. And she's been doing my hair for years, but as I've now learned, she's not very good with natural hair)

She goes on with the hair, and suddenly she's telling me about how I should cut off my texlaxed ends, they are much thinner than my natural hair. I'm like yeah I will eventually cut them off, just not this year, I want to wait for my natural hair to get longer. Before I know it, she's grabbed the pair of scissors she used to cut the extensions and takes nearly 5 inches off a section of my crown. No consideration for texlaxed versus natural ends, no thought of evenness, NOTHING. she just cut it off.

At first I was like :blush:. Then I screamed at her till she didn't want to own a pair of scissors anymore. Then I shrugged it off and went on with my hair. :ohwell: I was actually pretty shocked about my reaction, I would've thought I would run mad. Maybe its cause I'm transitioning, I don't really mind.

She's finished my hair now and my scalp hurts like hell, and I usually hardly feel any pain on my scalp. I sang throughout the process how she should make sure its not tight. Guess my singing voice isn't good enough. :look:

I'm not even sure how I feel. I'm a bit meh, but also a bit sad.

I was nearing BSL last length check :grin: and my hair was thickening up. Now I feel like beneath these braids I may have two or three broken strands of hair and nothing else. I almost feel like giving up on this hair thing now.

Oh well, we live and learn :lol:

So good that you are still able to add smiley faces to this story...I think I'd still be crying....

OMG! You are such a good person... I don't know what I'd do if somebody cut 5 inches of my hair off even if it was going to get done eventually

She goes on with the hair, and suddenly she's telling me about how I should cut off my texlaxed ends, they are much thinner than my natural hair. I'm like yeah I will eventually cut them off, just not this year, I want to wait for my natural hair to get longer. Before I know it, she's grabbed the pair of scissors she used to cut the extensions and takes nearly 5 inches off a section of my crown. No consideration for texlaxed versus natural ends, no thought of evenness, NOTHING. she just cut it off.

At first I was like :blush:. Then I screamed at her till she didn't want to own a pair of scissors anymore. Then I shrugged it off and went on with my hair. :ohwell: I was actually pretty shocked about my reaction, I would've thought I would run mad. Maybe its cause I'm transitioning, I don't really mind.

This whoooole post had me :shocked:, but the part above had ME ready to throw something.

Please elaborate on the bolded. :rofl:

You're a good one....didn't kill her AND you seem to be taking it in stride? I hope you're not just in shock.

This whoooole post had me :shocked:, but the part above had ME ready to throw something.

Please elaborate on the bolded. :rofl:

You're a good one....didn't kill her AND you seem to be taking it in stride? I hope you're not just in shock.

Lol, thanks. Haha, I hope I'm not in shock. Probably helps that I can't see whats left of my hair since its hidden by the extensions.

I'm sorry this happened to you. You said your scalp feels tight? This has happened to me before (tight braids)and I took it out within a few days. You can have long term damage from a temporary style.
Good luck.

Pfffttt!!! She would've been out my house and on her merry way after she tried yanking that small toothed comb through. Half done hair or not. I would've taken the rest of those braids out and threw on a wig.

I'm sorry this happened to you. You said your scalp feels tight? This has happened to me before (tight braids)and I took it out within a few days. You can have long term damage from a temporary style.
Good luck.

thank you. I'm considering taking them out, but it would be so much money down the drain :( and i'm a poor student atm. don't know what to do. maybe i'll take them down and redo them one by one.

I'm glad that you were abled to take it in stride, but ME?....I would have "sat back"after I whooped her a$$! Sorry...God is still working on me. He knows my heart.

thank you. I'm considering taking them out, but it would be so much money down the drain :( and i'm a poor student atm. don't know what to do. maybe i'll take them down and redo them one by one.

I felt the same way and was in tears but I figured I rather cry & be broke now then cry later with a bald spot. Take it out and get a wig for now until your scalp heals. I know if your scalp is it in a lot of pain its a sign that the style can cause serious damage and you should let it rest for a while. I'm sorry this happened to you, ;-(

You're a trooper! OMG I would have chased her out of my house :angry2: with the scissors she assaulted my hair with!
You mentioned your head being in pain yet you're able to smile and shrug it off :huh: ....girl what meds did you take? :lol:

Like, she just cut off a bunch of hair??? What was her reasoning for that one?

She said 'You don't need it. Its not natural' when I had clearly explained to her already that I was transitioning and wasn't going to be cutting for a long while.

The only fair way for this to be resolved is if you invite her to see the movie Devil(so fitting for the person in question, wouldn't you say) this weekend, after you find your seats...tell her you need to go get extra napkins...leave the theater come back and sit behind her and cut off five inches of her hair (if you are feeling generous)...I probably would go for 7 since that is the number of completeness...toss it in her lap and say you didn't need it anyway...

ETA: Sorry this happened to you and may the braids she put in your hair have been done with magical growing weave that will make your hair grow 6 inches in 2 months...Amen

Last edited:
The only fair way for this to be resolved is if you invite her to see the movie Devil(so fitting for the person in question, wouldn't you say) this weekend, after you find your seats...tell her you need to go get extra napkins...leave the theater come back and sit behind her and cut off five inches of her hair (if you are feeling generous)...I probably would go for 7 since that is the number of completeness...toss it in her lap and say you didn't need it anyway...

ETA: Sorry this happened to you and may the braids she put in your hair have been done with magical growing weave that will make your hair grow 6 inches in 2 months...Amen

Loool, AMEN TO THAT!!!

I'm sorry, but are you saying that she tore through your hair with a fine tooth comb, then cut off 5 inches without permission, and then you let her keep doing your hair, and then PAID her? :perplexed:ohwell::look::blush::ohwell:

I can't think of a single good thing to say...that's waaay beyond scissor happy.

I'm sorry, but are you saying that she tore through your hair with a fine tooth comb, then cut off 5 inches without permission, and then you let her keep doing your hair, and then PAID her? :perplexed:ohwell::look::blush::ohwell:

I can't think of a single good thing to say...that's waaay beyond scissor happy.

Hahaha, that is basically what happened though. I did want to stop her all together, but partly because of financial constraints and other reasons i didn't. i do wish i had now though. my scalp hurts, even though i've rebraided loads of them. will keep rebraiding till it stops.

i've defo learnt my lesson, i'll say that for sure. I've also learnt that if someone grabbed a bunch of my hair and cut off five inches, I wouldn't actually die (contrary to how i felt before), nor would i kill the culprit (don't wanna go to jail :lol:)

It's all good i guess. :D I'll probably just have to baby whats left of my hair. Not too bad since I actually love doing my hair.

Last edited:
.....listen, do you hear that? huh? It's me opening a gallon size jug of whoop ***, I'm just sayin.....you know 5 inches is 5 inches whether relaxed, natural, texlaxed, synthetic, Extensions plus, indian remy, well u get my point

Did she comb through each section she was about to plait, or larger parts? The same thing happened to me when I was about 12mths post. That was part of what ruined my transition!

I would have certainly knocked her out. Yup, call the police on me *****. You just cut off my hair without my permission. That's assault, and if it's not, it should be.

Girl you are better than me. Cause let somebody do some stuff like that to me and its gonna be problems, problems. Ugh I cant believe she cut your hair after you specifically told her you werent gonna cut until a later date.

Did she comb through each section she was about to plait, or larger parts? The same thing happened to me when I was about 12mths post. That was part of what ruined my transition!

both. its really sad coz i had 19 months of natural hair.

how much damage was there when you took all the braids out? I've only taken them down one by one to redo them and its hard to assess the damage coz I don't know how much hair she used for each section. its visibly thinner though :(

Note to self: learn how to braid your own hair.:bookworm:v I would have left. I am not shy about how I want my hair cared for. You are so good, girl.

This is why I'm SO scared to go to the salon for anything! I haven't been since I BC'ed. And OP, I would have given her some "diva time...."

So I was very excited waking up this morning because I was getting my hair braided. :grin:

Now I'm just :nono:

I've been transitioning 19 months as of yesterday, so most of my hair is natural. This hair braider of mine complimented my growth, and began braiding. Before she braided each section, she combed it which hurt a lot and seemed to involve a lot of tugging. I complained and she was like, its because I don't comb my hair. It wasn't until she was nearly halfway through my head that I realised why...she was using a fine tooth comb.

And half of my head of hair was now ornamenting the floor. I freaked out and of course took over the combing (with my wide tooth comb, which she's now broken) from then on.

(I know some people will say I should've got up and left, but it wasn't a salon, it was my house. I couldn't send her away with a half done head of hair. And she's been doing my hair for years, but as I've now learned, she's not very good with natural hair)

She's finished my hair now and my scalp hurts like hell, and I usually hardly feel any pain on my scalp. I sang throughout the process how she should make sure its not tight. Guess my singing voice isn't good enough. :look:

I'm not even sure how I feel. I'm a bit meh, but also a bit sad.

I was nearing BSL last length check :grin: and my hair was thickening up. Now I feel like beneath these braids I may have two or three broken strands of hair and nothing else. I almost feel like giving up on this hair thing now.

Oh well, we live and learn :lol:

I DONT EVEN WANT MY MIND TO THINK ABOUT THE HURT I WOULDA PUT ON HER. :lachen:

I just read today about a little 14 year old girl, never had a haircut ( for religious reasons) hair was down to her knees. teacher walks up to her with scissors and cut her braid! 7 inches gone, then she proceeds to laugh and says she didn't like the girls hair. WHAT?! there are little hair demons attacking hair, lol

OP you are really a calm and patient person. I have to say that you really handled the situation maturely. I just don't understand why she felt that YOU didn't need something that was on YOUR own head. I'm just curious I mean was it bothering her to braid it? I would have flown off the handle if she chopped off 5 inches of my hair...natural or not. I'm glad you are able to have a positive attitude about it OP.

Back