Living Proof Claims to Restore Your "Natural" Hair

NaijaNaps

What do you hair pros think about their claim to "restore your virgin hair." I'm not so sure about this.

Here's a link with Ted Gibson talking about some of the products:
From Stylist.com (Get your hair cut EVERY 4-6 weeks...Really?)

And here's the brand's website where they do mention the concept of porosity and kind of breakdown how their PolyfluoroEster molecule "acts like the natural protective layer on virgin hair and reduces porosity by 100%" Sounds good... maybe :rolleyes:

Has anyone tried these products? For 8oz at $28 they are PRICEY! That would be like 2 wash days for me :look:

Using a chemical to remove chemicals to restore virgin hair??? Um yeah, I am selling bridges myself, send me a PM and I will let you in on it.

:grin: Thanks!

@Coffee word is you're in the know. Spill it! :yep:

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:I have the regular poo/condish by Living Proof and I really like it. I have the Restore masque and the poo/condish are being delivered today. Since I haven't tried the Restore, I can't say much about it.

Using a chemical to remove chemicals to restore virgin hair??? Um yeah, I am selling bridges myself, send me a PM and I will let you in on it.

do you have the williamsburg bridge? i particularly like that area :lachen:

Eta: okay shooting from the hip....MAYBE they mean restore your hair back to it's healthiest state, meaning when it wasn't damaged by heat tools or color and whatnot?

that's a long claim though, a REALLY long claim.

hehe chuckling Coffee our resident product testee. Waiting for her stamp of approval first.

The claims are rather broad. I think they need to demonstrate the product in order for us to get an idea of its results. BTW, did anyone catch that you may use the product up to FIVE times in order to reach your desired results. That sounds like basically what happens with many new products - you use it for a number of times before you decide to keep or chuck.

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:I have the regular poo/condish by Living Proof and I really like it. I have the Restore masque and the poo/condish are being delivered today. Since I haven't tried the Restore, I can't say much about it.

Details please! What do you like about it? Did it make your hair 100% less porous? :spinning:

Eta: okay shooting from the hip....MAYBE they mean restore your hair back to it's healthiest state, meaning when it wasn't damaged by heat tools or color and whatnot?

that's a long claim though, a REALLY long claim.

Exactly! These companies need to stop being outrageous. It's probably a good product (it better be for all that $$$) but some of these claims deserve a side-eye

shoooot. i need to really get to mixing up bullisht, add extra "botanicals" that condition, curl define, and cure acne, brand it with somebody's long wavey "good" hair (ima use empressri :look:), package it in pank and feathers, get an expert to pray over it/bless it and pay for this tuition. hmph.

there were an asian thread to permanently frizz hair for havig an afro style... do you think "hair stylists" are able to do for selling such a "restore your virgin hair" ???? :O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is what it has to say on Living Proof:

Restore Shampoo
What it is:
A gentle cleansing shampoo that replenishes moisture and improves manageability.

What it does:
Restore Shampoo is formulated with Living Proof's moisture-controlling molecule, PolyfluoroEster, to restore the protective layer on dry or damaged hair and reduce hair's porosity by 100%. Restore makes dry or damaged hair look, feel, and behave like virgin hair. It also increases hair's resistance to breakage up to nine times while healing, protecting, and preventing further damage.

What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Sulfates
- Synthetic Dyes
- Petrochemicals
- Phthalates
- GMOs
- Triclosan

What else you need to know:
Virgin hair has a protective layer that is completely intact, which is why it is in such great condition. But frequent washing, heat styling and processing damages this protective layer. Hair becomes very porous and unable to seal in moisture. Living Proof scientists discovered a way to restore that protective layer and reduce hair's porosity. And because Restore can do this without weighing hair down, it helps stop the cycle of dryness and damage.

Research results:
- After five uses of Restore Shampoo and Conditioner, hair's porosity is reduced 100%.
- After five uses of Restore Shampoo and Mask Treatment, hair is nine times more resistant to breakage

PolyfluoroEster molecule
sounds like some suped up polyquat. Polyquats coat the hair, just like proteins coat the hair. If you have enough gunk plastered all over your hair strands, hell yeah they are going to float in water!

Nothing can permanently repair the hair. Once hair has been damaged, the only thing that will permanently heal it is to cut off the damaged hair. Proteins and polyquats are all temporary fixes and nothing meant to provide long lasting results because hair cannot repair itself.

It is like a cavity. Once you have a hole in your tooth, can more enamel "grow" in to replace the old enamel? No! You get a filling to fill in the tooth decay. Protein fills in the missing cuticle layers of your hair to restore strength but only temporarily. Don't fall for the hype.

Thanks for the extra information.

I remain skeptical about what this product can ACTUALLY achieve.

NC has an article on the polyesterfluro yabba yabba for you science people. This talk is way beyond me:

So what is it? Well, the short answer is that it is a modified fluoropolymer, which is a synthetic polymer made up of the typical carbon-based backbone, but with fluorine molecules either attached directly onto the backbone of the polymer or suspended from the sides of the chain as substituents. The fluoropolymer most consumers are familiar with is Teflon, or poly(tetrafluoroethylene).
:nono: source:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...living-proof-and-their-nofrizz-polyfluroester

My next question would be, why would I want teflon or a teflon like product on my hair? Seems a little bit much but I know nothing about this "top secret ingredient" but it doesn't seem like the author of this article does either (not in a bad way) so we are even:

The organization is understandably extremely protective of their intellectual property, as keeping the secret ingredient under wraps will help maintain their advantage in the competitive beauty products market. However, the CurlChemist has been digging in the trenches to discover what she can, so we can make some educated guesses about its structure, how that might affect its performance on our hair, and what sorts of expectations we can have for these products.

What's up with these companies and their secrets :ohwell:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlr...living-proof-and-their-nofrizz-polyfluroester

Last edited:
It is like a cavity. Once you have a hole in your tooth, can more enamel "grow" in to replace the old enamel? No! You get a filling to fill in the tooth decay. Protein fills in the missing cuticle layers of your hair to restore strength but only temporarily. Don't fall for the hype.

ITA! I think more people need to realize this.

Although there are some that will still choose to purchase products to temporarily fill the gaps. I guess the thinking is that continually, temporarily filling the missing cuticle layers can prevent further degradation to the hair shaft. Is this true?

The bottom line is once your hair is damaged, it's damage. Prevention is key.

ITA! I think more people need to realize this.

Although there are some that will still choose to purchase products to temporarily fill the gaps. I guess the thinking is that continually, temporarily filling the missing cuticle layers can prevent further degradation to the hair shaft. Is this true?

The bottom line is once your hair is damaged, it's damage. Prevention is key.
Not sure but I am curious to know the answer. I know that each hair strand has several layers of cuticles but I am not sure if using protein will aid in preventing further damage to them as cuticle layers are easily destroyed by activities such as shampooing, combing, and styling the hair.

Back