Little story to tell: Oils and flatironing

Luscious Locks

I'm going to let you ladies know right now: DO NOT USE OILS TO PRESS YOUR HAIR!!! Please. Here's why:

Last night, my sister (a natural) had me press her hair because she couldn't get to the hair dresser. My mother wanted to help do her hair too (my sister has A LOT of hair--so much so that she is known at our salon as the girl with all that hair) and came upon me pressing her out half way through the process. We had blow dried her hair straight with a stiff round boar bristle brush and then flatironed. My mother thought that she'd help us out and make the process go faster by slathering her hair in grease (CD's Mimosa) and flatironing in chunks so that I could later go back in and flatiron bit by bit...... Let me tell you--- her hair sizzled and dripped grease all over!!! Like after passing through her hair with the flatiron her hair was hot and stayed hot. It was shiny--but nasty soulglo shiny. :sad:You could tell a definate difference between the section I did all by myself and then the section my mom "helped" me do. My section, which unfortunately was in the back, was straight and healthy shiny. The greased sections didn't even straighten well. The section that i did actually had zero product on it, and it stayed straighter longer. She was really sad and mad the next day at work... all because of grease.:nono: Please stop the grease, and the keep the peace. No joke. It simply cooks hair, causes instant reversion (this defeats the purpose of a press anyway), and looks yucky.

Long, I know, but I hope this story helps someone. I wish I had pictures, but we finished at 1 am and my sister gets up for work at 5:30, and I get up at 6:30 so we were not beat for a picturefest.

Much love, and happy hair growing.

Last edited:
Thanks!

When i learned this a while back, i stopped using grease/oil to curl and press my hair too.

The logic is right. It's like cooking your hair in a hot frying pan. Can damage your hair.

I love grease, and know many who use it to straighten their hair, and its very healthy and long, you just have to know what you're doing....

Back