Little curly ends popping off

tru4reele

So I just got my hair trimmed really good. About 1.5-2 inches all over and my hair is the healthiest and thickest it has ever been.

I thought my hair would be easier to detangle with the splits cut off but it's not. It's worse. My hair is even curlier/coilier now and I can't take it! My hair is 4A fine strands but very dense. I'm happy that I can now do twists without rollers on the end but It takes forever to detangle. My hair tangles back up as soon as the comb is worked through. There are are also little curly hairs on the floor after I wash and detangle like my ends are popping off.

I could do wash n go's but that usually means ssk's and tangling.

It's getting to the point where I'm just thinking of doing a BKT so that I can better manage it. I don't trust anyone else to wash my hair and that's the most frustrating part to me. What's going on here? I need help. Anyone else have hair like me?

What do you have in your hair while you are detangling? How big of a section are you trying to detangle?

My hair is really coily. Yes the hair is going to shrink up and curl back up when you let it go but you shouldn't let it go. You need to detangle and then bantu knot it up or put in twists or do something with it.

When did you have your hair trimmed? Its possible that what you see is the trimmed hair that was left behind.

If that is not the case,

When you comb you have to start being more careful. Dont look to getting out all the tangles because afro textured hair is always going to tangle. I use a metal pick now on my daughters hair and that is the best thing for hair. I use it in a picking motion down the section. Ive also started using a bit of grease (Dax, the ingredients are pertroletum, evco and castor oil)

My daughter has fine hair as well and those two things have greatly assisted in retention.

Yes :nono: fine hair problems... When was your last protein or reconstructor?
I did one yesterday. The 2 step one. I've never had any problems with it. This is my second time washing my hair after the trim. I noticed the same amount of tangling and little hairs with and without the protein treatment.

Last edited:
What do you have in your hair while you are detangling? How big of a section are you trying to detangle? My hair is really coily. Yes the hair is going to shrink up and curl back up when you let it go but you shouldn't let it go. You need to detangle and then bantu knot it up or put in twists or do something with it.

I use It's a 10 leave in and I tried some Mane n Tangle detangle spray for the first time. It made it a little better.

I use It's a 10 leave in and I tried some Mane n Tangle detangle spray for the first time. It made it a little better.

Yeah to me it sounds like you are detangling when your hair isn't coated and instead of gliding through your hair, your tool is pulling the ends. Even if your ends are super curly, the product helps the tool to glide.

If you can detangle when you condition that really helps. And after your detangle then put it up some type of way so you don't have to detangle it again.

It just sounds like you need a better detangling regimen.

Yeah to me it sounds like you are detangling when your hair isn't coated and instead of gliding through your hair, your tool is pulling the ends. Even if your ends are super curly, the product helps the tool to glide. If you can detangle when you condition that really helps. And after your detangle then put it up some type of way so you don't have to detangle it again. It just sounds like you need a better detangling regimen.

I think you are right. Thanks!

Yeah to me it sounds like you are detangling when your hair isn't coated and instead of gliding through your hair, your tool is pulling the ends. Even if your ends are super curly, the product helps the tool to glide.

If you can detangle when you condition that really helps. And after your detangle then put it up some type of way so you don't have to detangle it again.

It just sounds like you need a better detangling regimen.

I agree with this. t's weird that you're having issues after getting a trim.

I don't really use combs or tools to detangle, but when I do it has to be on hair that's saturated with conditioner. I would never even try to detangle my hair unless it is very pliable and full of a product to help ease the strands away from each other. And I use tiny sections. It takes forever!

I'm a finger detangler. It was hard at first, but now it is pretty easy. I think the more often I do it, the easier it is.

I would go through with your fingers first and then use a tool. Especially if you have actual knots and tangles you can see; use your fingers to separate them instead of the comb. Even if you do it quickly, your fingers will be gentler and then you can follow up with a tool if you prefer.

Aphogee 2-step can also be harsh on my hair. I have to seriously moisturize after and keep any eye on my hair.

Have you tried to "tension pull" while combing with a wide tooth comb. Suggest combing in 1" sections. Pull section taught. Comb the ends of the hair first, then move up the shaft, slowly.

The other thing I noted with my 4C hair is that I have been a bit heavy handed with product. Saturation just makes it worse. A pea sized portion of product is all that is needed and well worked through with the hands. I always pull my ends while apply in product to smooth it out and ensure product gets there.

Also, I have been bagging my hair every night, so it's nice and moist in the morning.

The hardest lesson I have had to learn is that the curliness is the natural state of my hair even when it is the most healthy.

Last edited:
Back