Listen Up - I have info on Inidian oils

naturalmanenyc

I'm in the office today and a colleague brought in her daughter (7 years old & on winter break this week). This little girl has waist length, thick, black hair. My friend is African American but her husband is Indian.

I have the info. on which Indian oil to use:

Of course I asked what she is using in her daughter's hair and she told me Amla oil, a red oil (starts with an "sh" so I'm guessing shikaikai (sp?)) and a conditioner that is made of chick peas and jasmine. These products have made combing her daughter's hair so much easier. My friend says that these products have not worked on her hair but for her daughter they have done wonders. Everytime she brings her daughter into the office, her hair is much longer and she attributes it to the oils.

Update - the conditioner is Himalaya Protein Conditioner with chick peas & jasmine. Supposedly it can be purchased at Indian stores. They live in NJ.

My colleague uses the products for her daughters hair. She says that they have not worked well for her when she used the oils & conditioner for her own hair. My colleague has shoulder length hair that is streaked with reddish/blonde sections. It is dark brown at the scalp.

Last edited:
Well, I'm also AA and my DH is Indian and my daughter had waistlength hair by age three...BUT...no oils used here. I used to put straight up baby lotion in that child's hair to make it manageable (this was before the days of all these wonderful moisturizing lotions etc. and we were living in Europe with little access to AA hair products). In her case I believe it had a lot to do with hereditary factors and keeping it moistuized.

I'm in the office today and a colleague brought in her daughter (7 years old & on winter break this week). This little girl has waist length, thick, black hair. My friend is African American but her husband is Indian.

Of course I asked what she is using in her daughter's hair and she told me Amla oil, a red oil (starts with an "sh" so I'm guessing shikaikai (sp?)) and a conditioner that is made of chick peas and jasmine. These products have made combing her daughter's hair so much easier. My friend says that these products have not worked on her hair but for her daughter they have done wonders. Everytime she brings her daughter into the offie, her hair is much longer and she attributes it to the oils.

Thanks.......see if you can find out the name of the conditioner and try to confirm the oil. Damn chick peas???

Well, I'm also AA and my DH is Indian and my daughter had waistlength hair by age three...BUT...no oils used here. I used to put straight up baby lotion in that child's hair to make it manageable (this was before the days of all these wonderful moisturizing lotions etc. and we were living in Europe with little access to AA hair products). In her case I believe it had a lot to do with hereditary factors and keeping it moistuized.

I think so too. :yep: I would've been more interested in how the oils helped the mom's hair.

RWife - Did you mean that they did NOT work on your friends hair?

Does this mean that this blend of oils are NOT good for blacks?

Of course I asked what she is using in her daughter's hair and she told me Amla oil, a red oil (starts with an "sh" so I'm guessing shikaikai (sp?)) and a conditioner that is made of chick peas and jasmine. These products have made combing her daughter's hair so much easier. My friend says that these products have not worked on her hair but for her daughter they have done wonders. Everytime she brings her daughter into the offie, her hair is much longer and she attributes it to the oils.

RWife - Did you mean that they did NOT work on your friends hair?

Does this mean that this blend of oils are NOT good for blacks?

Not necessarily. :nono: Her friend just may not know how to use the oils or anything about black hair care for that matter. :ohwell: For all we know, her friend may not have even tried the oils b/c she assumed that they were for Indian hair and not black hair. :( Plus, who knows what that woman's hair looks like. The OP never said that the mom's hair looked nice. She only said that the daughter's hair does. There are many of us on this board that use those same oils and they work wonders on our hair. :yep:

Thanks, LLocs :yep:

Not necessarily. :nono: Her friend just may not know how to use the oils or anything about black hair care for that matter. :ohwell: For all we know, her friend may not have even tried the oils b/c she assumed that they were for Indian hair and not black hair. :( Plus, who knows what that woman's hair looks like. The OP never said that the mom's hair looked nice. She only said that the daughter's hair does. There are many of us on this board that use those same oils and they work wonders on our hair. :yep:

Well i believe theres been some curiosty about what ndian people do to their hair/their regimens (Why some people are using the teas, powderes, more coconut oil ect.)

She's saying that she knows someone who is married to an indian man, and that this is what they use on their daughters hair.

So for those people that indian products work well on like the daughter (not the mother), then maybe you can try these products since your interested......

Well i believe theres been some curiosty about what ndian people do to their hair/their regimens (Why some people are using the teas, powderes, more coconut oil ect.)

She's saying that she knows someone who is married to an indian man, and that this is what they use on their daughters hair.

So for those people that indian products work well on like the daughter (not the mother), then maybe you can try these products since your interested......

:lol: It's funny b/c I lived w/Pakistanis and Indians in college and they didn't seem to do anything out of the ordinary w/their hair. :nono: But, it was always very long and healthy. They knew about amla oil and told me that it is indeed a good product, but I never saw them w/any or use any. They used Pantene. :lol: Maybe the American ones usually only use it when their hair gets really bad?

Oh yeah and I agree. I'm definately interested in what they do. :yep: And I'm also interested in how that relates to black hair care. :yep: I want to try it too! That's why I came in here. I was hoping to hear smthg new.

wow, this conditioner sounds good. I would love to try it.

Amla and Jasmine oil I know for a fact will grow hair. I used to use it everyday with water to moisturize my braids and my hair became crazy thick.

Amla and Jasmine oil I know for a fact will grow hair. I used to use it everyday with water to moisturize my braids and my hair became crazy thick.
I agree about the alma oil. I just started using it last week and my hair is moist. I gonna try the alma powdwer and the jasmine oil. I think it has alot to do with the moisture. I think anyone hair with thrive with alot of moisture abd thats something I've learned the hard way

Bravenewgirl how did you use it? I just refreshed my jasmine oil two days ago but have not gotten to use it. I always have amla I do not run out of that. I loved Hash Castor oil which was what I thought regs was talking about. It help with my growth I belive but I only know one indian store that I could get that from.

Back