Lightening natural hair

LovelyBrownSkin93

Sooo I hate to say it but I'm kinda bored with my hair right now .. :nono:. I'm a 3c/4a natural and I want a lighter brown for my hair and I'm just wondering what would be the safest way to get what i want and keep my hair health? Ive heard of using lemon but i don't want my hair to dry out .. any suggestions?

I would steer clear of lemon juice and hydrogen peroxide. They will lighten your hair over time, but you can also get major damage from the process. I would just look at commercial hair color, or even see if there's an Aveda salon in your area that you can get a consultation for color at prior to doing anything. Color requires LOTS of maintenance, patience, protein and moisture. I have colored my hair several times, and just finally decided to stop. If you are bored with your hair, REALLY think over getting color. It requires a lot of upkeep and if you're not up to it, it can really be a bad thing for your hair.....

I've heard of cinnamon adding some lighter tones. I haven't personally tried it, but a search here or on fotki might give you some info.

Ive done cinnamon, and it worked a little but its a process that has to be repeated .. and washing all that cinnamon out can suck!!! But thanks, ill have to look into it, Ive just seen some DISASTERS when it comes to color and natural hair lol. Thanks ladies

Clairol Luminize is a good product to try too. If you search there are a couple threads on it. :) It lightens gently and isn't damaging.

Aveda's color is I believe 99% all natural. I use peroxide ..but only in salons. I haven't had any damage but everyone's hair is different. I wouldn't suggest doing it yourself or using any type of boxed brands. I would go to a salon that uses professional coloring systems.

Back