Lifeless Hair

mrselle

My hair is lifeless. My hair has been the same length, give or take a couple of inches my entire life…except for when I was pregnant with my daughter. My hair was gorgeous back then. I’ve always had problems with breakage and I’ve never been able to grow out the sides of my hair past my shoulders, or even to my shoulders. I’ve always had fine hair, but over the past two years my hair has become even finer. I can’t wear my hair in a bun, I can’t wear my hair in a ponytail, I can’t wear my hair down because it doesn’t “stay”. My regimen is pretty simple and I don’t manipulate my hair a lot, but my hair is still lifeless. I attempted to go natural, but I found it difficult to maintain and style my hair. This is my current routine:

Wash my hair once a week, followed by a deep conditioner and sit under a hooded dryer for about 15 – 20 minutes.

Roller set my hair and sit under the dryer until hair is dry (about 1 hour).

Take out the rollers once my hair is dry and wrap my hair.

As far as styling goes, the only heat I use on it is once a week when I sit under the dryer.

The products I use:
KeraCare shampoo and conditioner
ApHogee 2 minute protein reconstructor
Mizani Nighttime Treatment

I see a stylist about every six weeks. He does good work, but I feel like he may do a little too much manipulation. He blow dries my hair and then uses a flat iron to curl and style my hair. I try not to go too long between trims, but my hair is all different lengths. The left side is longer than the right side, the back of my hair in the middle looks like it is breaking off. I’ve considered just trying to do my hair myself, instead of going to my regular stylist because even after I get my hair done the next day it is back to being lifeless.

Any ideas on what I need to starting doing, stop doing, etc…?

Assuming you're still relaxed ---

Visit the relaxer buddy thread and relaxed thread for interaction with ladies who are relaxed and might be experiencing similar issues.

Stretch your relaxer to a point where you are comfortable to ensure you are not overporcessing the hair. I stretch for 10-12 weeks on average.

Have your stylist rollerset your hair when at the salon to minimize direct heat.

Aphogee 2 minute weekly -
Mizani overnight - every night?

Are these both proteins? Maybe your hair doesn't need as much.

More moisturizers, less protein...just a quick thought

Aphogee 2 minute weekly -
Mizani overnight - every night?

Are these both proteins? Maybe your hair doesn't need as much.

More moisturizers, less protein...just a quick thought

I was thinking the same thing. All of those conditioners sound protein based. It could just be a case of moisture overload. Try something strictly for moisture and DC with that for a few weeks with heat. If you add EVOO to the condish it will moisturize even better.

Wrapping can cause breakage and the sides of your hair to be uneven. It caused this problem with my hair. I was told to alternate the direction in which I wrapped. But I stopped wrapping altogether.

The relaxer was another problem that caused my hair to be limp......

Do you massage your scalp? massaging your scalp daily will help it gro and your hair won't lay flat to your head if that's what you mean by lifeless

And I had the same problem with my stylist using heat, every 2 weeks I went and got a wrap (hooded dryer, blow dryer, AND flat iron) and everytime my ends "had to be" clipped from the heat damage so do feel like you should do your own hair or go to a different salon

when I started doing my own hair I stopped wrapping I noticed my crown was getting damaged from the lack of moisture and when I needed a T/U the combing into the wrap caused more damage then the heat did

*~SCKRI23~* via LHCF app

Last edited:
Not trying to spill no tea on this thread, but I had the Exact same problem as you did....then I stopped relaxing, and that problem stopped. Transitioning was really hard for me too, because my natural hair is an entirely different beast than my relaxed hair (a problem that fixed itself when all my hair fell out from postpartum shedding...). What kept me natural was feeling how Alive my hair felt! It just felt so much stronger, and healthier. Whenever I find a stray relaxed piece, I always note how limp it looks...sad straight end, that just doesn't feel as nice.

That being said, I also agree that you may need more moisture and less protein. I'd DC weekly with a moisture CD,many that helped my hair a lot. Also, stop wrapping...that definitely works against your hairs health as well.

Back