LHCF Ladies are an Inspiration

mangojuice33

Hey ladies!
I just joined today and thought I would introduce myself properly.
My Hair Story
Then
As i child, I had hair . It was average, very curly, african hair. What type? Hmmm its difficult to say as i don’t really have round coils, its more of a double u shape that changes direction every couple of inches. It wasn’t long, and stubbornly refused to grow in any direction except UP! My hair was always canerowed (inverted cornrows) with my own hair.
As i got older, my mum wouldn’t let me relax my hair. At the time i was mad cos i had to put up with all the ‘I know a good hairdresser’ and ‘Are you to poor to do your hair?’ comments at school. Yeh it wasn’t fun at all. I bugged my mum to braid my hair wit extensions until eventually she went on strike and stopped braiding my hair altogether! So, I was forced to wear it OUT. And i mean OUT lol. Afro with a headband. No joke. It was met with horror at first but people eventually came round ... and I got some good free hair do’s from girls just wanting to practice their cornrow skills.
Once Uni came round, i took my first student loan cheque and went straight to the nearest salon to get micros lol. I must admit i thought i was hot... my signature look was 18 inch human hair micros, (before the recession when the prices went SKY HIGH) braided half way down. Black hair with streaks of copper. I kept those in for FOUR months at a time... im surprised i had a hairline! Washed every 2-3 weeks. After a couple of years i noticed that braiding time was going up and up, they were taking about 12 hours to put in! I realised my had got quite long and thick.... and thats when my hair obsession began. Early 2009, I took out my last set of micros and relaxed in febuary.
Right Now
I relax with Mizani Butter Blends regular every 10-12 weeks. Thanks to you lovely ladies I started stretching from the start!. As far as i can tell i think i will be APL when i relax 2 week of October. HOWEVER I am also due a trim (its been 8mnths) so who know how much will be hacked off?!?!?
To come
I would looooove to have healthy shiny bouncy BSL relaxed hair. Because of my fine texture, i would like to be able to wear wavy braid outs at a decent length. I have a huge head i need coverage!!
I would just like to thank you all for the wealth of knowledge that you take the time to share. Although im a newbie I already feel like I know some of you! You guys have inspiried me to be the best I can in all areas of my life, whether its my hair, health or spirit.
Whew!:drunk:

Welcome to the board! Happy wishes on your hair journey and I concur that the Ladies of LHCF are fabulous!!

Welcome abroad. It sounds like you have a system down that works for you. I can't give any relaxed hair advice b/c personally I don't see how anyone, especially a thin or fine haired person, can achieve thick full looking hair w/the perm. Overlapping the perm on previously relaxed hair seems inevitable- then it eventually breaks off (at the line of demarcation) or thins out (hence thin looking hair that most relaxers produce). The only way I could see this remotely being done is on long term stretches (like 6month). However, I think there are some ladies here that have done it with relaxing more often (how, I don't know!?).

Welcome welcome! Your hair already looks VERY healthy in your pic :yep:. Now that you've got the knowledge necessary to keep it healthy, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to reach your goal, and soon at that! HHG :grin:

Welcome abroad. It sounds like you have a system down that works for you. I can't give any relaxed hair advice b/c personally I don't see how anyone, especially a thin or fine haired person, can achieve thick full looking hair w/the perm. Overlapping the perm on previously relaxed hair seems inevitable- then it eventually breaks off (at the line of demarcation) or thins out (hence thin looking hair that most relaxers produce). The only way I could see this remotely being done is on long term stretches (like 6month). However, I think there are some ladies here that have done it with relaxing more often (how, I don't know!?).

The funny thing is, i only discovered i had fine hair after i relaxed it! As a natural bobby pins would completely disappear in it, so i was suprised at how much volume i lost. Luckily, the mizani relaxer leaves a lot of texture in my hair, so air dried, my hair looks like a blow dried natural. Im newly relaxed so i hope by being consistent in my regimen that i can avoid too much thinning down the line.

Welcome welcome! Your hair already looks VERY healthy in your pic :yep:. Now that you've got the knowledge necessary to keep it healthy, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to reach your goal, and soon at that! HHG :grin:

Thanks! I hope i can keep it that way. I should probably throw my flat iron down a well though!:nono:

Welcome to the boards! You are already doing GREAT!!!

so air dried, my hair looks like a blow dried natural. Im newly relaxed so i hope by being consistent in my regimen that i can avoid too much thinning down the line.

Fine haired big head here! :giggle:

How, exactly, do you do your relaxers? Timing, method of smoothing, time spent smoothing...

Welcome Mangojuice, you will love it here, there is loads of helpful information. The women here are great and by the way, I like your SN,lol probably because I love mangos:yep:

OK i dug out a starting pic. No laughing!!:lachen:

This is 2007. The length isnt bad but the ends are COMPLETELTY CHEWED. Mostly because of micro braiding. I used to flat iron the ends of the braids and of course my ends got fried in the process. My hairline is see through as well.

Attachments

• afrosista2.jpg
    afrosista2.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to the boards! You are already doing GREAT!!!

Fine haired big head here! :giggle:

How, exactly, do you do your relaxers? Timing, method of smoothing, time spent smoothing...

I have my relaxers done at the salon. I base my scalp the night before with a thick oil, like doo goo. I ask my stylist to start in the back of my head as this is where i get the thickest growth and most resistant hair. Application takes about 7 minutes (shes quite fast) and i let it process for about 12 minutes. If she looks like she dosent want to rinse it out i pretend to cry.... no one wants to get sued right ? lol :grin: And as for smoothing.... not much! I think thats what keeps the texture. I let her smooth round the edges but i prefer to just let the relaxer do its job. IMHO smoothing seems like even more trauma for the hair shaft?

Back