Letting a Man Be a Gentleman: A Little Story

auparavant

The most curious thing happened today before I entered the mass. Well, I've injured myself and developed a bursitis in my knee and also have one in my hip and it flares up badly sometimes, making me limp. We arrived in the top lot to park, got out and proceeded to head for mass down the lot and stairs into the church entrance. Before that though, I beeped to secure the car and this older man heard the beep and looked at us. He was coming from the second upper lot behind us but further down. So, we would have had to catch up to him for him to come behind me. But he went past us to enter it behind us.:look:

All this time, I was thinking, "great, my kids are starting to speed up and I'm limping now and this guy behind me is watching this and not hurrying up around me." I kinda went slower and signaled to my kids to wait but they sped up again. I moved to the side...he still didn't go in front but patiently waited on the path. I thought, "finally, I've reached the stairs and now he's gonna go around me." Nope, he waited and I slowed down even further, mentally sweating in frustration. In a few secs, my kids were in.

Finally I reached the last step and breathed a sigh of relief and before I knew it, he had rushed to say, "allow me to open the door for you," with a big smile on his face. Now, I'm used to doing this for myself these days so I told him it was okay, that I had it, and I grabbed the door open but made sure to thank him. It happened so fast and I was hurrying to mass. When we got inside, I dipped my finger for holy water and he was thinking I was going to go into the far door to the sanctuary. He was still attempting to open the door for me. And as we were all late, several of us allended up standing in the back and I glanced over and saw him, listening intently to the homily, hands humbly crossed in piety. I thought he was going to go sit with his family....no family. :look: I thought to myself, "that man was a prototype of sorts and they must still be out here."

It got me thinking about my situation in life now and slowing down to allow someone who is a gentleman to be....a gentleman. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is the one. He could well be married or crazy. But it was the act of kindness I noticed and am speaking on. Of course, watch out for the creepers and whatnot but when it's genuine, allow it to be. There are still good men out there.

Last edited:
"Guardian Angels..." are all around us.

Your gentle story is special and it reminds me of how often we're unaware that God is 'there' in answer to our prayers. His Word says, He is our 'rear guard', always behind us to watch over and protect us.

The message that God is sending you today is...

"You're not in this alone.... this 'walk' that you have in Me, you are not alone. And though some days seem strained with pain, and you find yourself 'limping' through. You're not going to fail, nor fall, nor stumble, I am there, I am always... with you.

You are just that 'special' and loved. " :love2:

In Jesus' Name, Amen and Amen.

These men are out there. They are like rare gems but they exist. I remember a time when I just KNEW the kind of man I was dreamt of was a fable, a myth, a fictional Jane Austen character. :look: God corrected me on that one :yep:

This reminds me of a situation in my life. I was like when one gets used to be stabbed in the back and end up fighting off someone just raising their hand to wave at them.

Good people are still around, just rare like jewels. May be it's time for you to ease off being the "I got this" and just allow God to be your rareguard and open the right doors for you.

Back