Let's Talk: Protein/Reconstructor Treatments!

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
I recently read an article somewhere in the blogsphere, about protein treatments and reconstructors.
I found it interesting how the writer compared & contrasted regular protein treatments and "reconstructors."
Rather than revive an old thread, given all the new products and techniques I was curious what LHCFers have to say.
I have always known I use these at different times, for different reasons but couldn't explain until recently why.
My main takeaway from the article was: reconstructors = wet heat, protein treatments = dry heat.
What are your thoughts?

Sent using LHCF app

Reconstructors have smaller molecular properties than 'traditional' protein treatments so they penetrate to actually attempt to repair the structure of the hair.

While protein is more of a protectant/strenghtener.

I always do my Protein Rx's under the dryer (something I got from Chicoro).

I have also been doing my Reconstructor(s) the same way. Perhaps I need to revisit that.

I do my Moisturizing DC'ers with 'wet' heat i.e. Steam.

I use a light reconstructor each wash day.

And a Protein prior to relaxing and after or whenever I feel it's necessary.

Last edited:
I recently read an article somewhere in the blogsphere, about protein treatments and reconstructors.
I found it interesting how the writer compared & contrasted regular protein treatments and "reconstructors."
Rather than revive an old thread, given all the new products and techniques I was curious what LHCFers have to say.
I have always known I use these at different times, for different reasons but couldn't explain until recently why.
My main takeaway from the article was: reconstructors = wet heat, protein treatments = dry heat.
What are your thoughts?

Sent using LHCF app

What does that mean wet heat? dry heat?

I only use reconstructors.When you say protein treatments are you talking what some would call a hard protein treatment like aphogee 2 step?

Wet heat is steamong or putting on a processing cap before going under a dryer. Dry heat is a blowdryer or bonnet/hood dryer, intending to dry the hair.
When I find the article, I will add the link/copy & paste it here.

All of my protein treatments specifically say "Protein Conditioner" or something to that effect. I've never used AphOgee's 2 Step but I love their 2 Min Reconstructor and Balancing Moisturizer. All of my reconstructors have "Reconstructor" in its title or description.
I would consider "protein" specific descriptions as protein treatments; Aubrey Organics GPB is a protein treatment, as well as: Greek yogurt, eggs, GVP Strengthening Treatment. I would consider anything with 'Reconstruct" in the description a reconstructor, such as: AphOgee 2 Min, AphOgee Green Tea, GVP Reconstructor.

What does that mean wet heat? dry heat?

I only use reconstructors.When you say protein treatments are you talking what some would call a hard protein treatment like aphogee 2 step?

Sent using LHCF app

I am probably using all the terms wrong. I call CJ Repair Me or Bask Whiskey Soak protein treatments. I have no idea if they are reconstructors, protein treatments, or something else.

I've also read that reconstructors are more multi-purpose/multi-dimensional than protein treatments. Have you found this to be the case?

When you do your protein treatments with dry heat, do you allow your hair to dry/mostly dry and leave it in or wash it out?

What are your fave protein treatments and reconstructors?

Reconstructors have smaller molecular properties than 'traditional' protein treatments so they penetrate to actually attempt to repair the structure of the hair.

I do my Moisturizing DC'ers with 'wet' heat i.e. Steam.

I use a light reconstructor each wash day.

And a Protein prior to relaxing and after or whenever I feel it's necessary.

Sent using LHCF app

Last saturday i used DE Restore Vitamin treatment. I would place it in the category of a reconstructor (correct me if i'm wrong) I applied and left in in for 11/2hrs with a steam cap. It did make my hair feel stronger and i didn't go under a dryer. I will try it under a dryer next time Mid week next week other than that.

I like it but i'm still shopping for more reconstructors and protein treatment because my fine strands love protein.

I use Giovanni Nutrafix as my reconstructor and although it says reconstructor on the tube, I consider this a moderate protein treatment.

My hard-core monthly protein treatment is 2oz of Neutral Protein Filler, a dash of silk amino acids and 1oz distilled water sprayed directly on freshly co-washed hair and under my hood dryer for 30 minutues on low.

I rinse then detangle with Cure Care Conditioner which has hydrolyzed keratin as the 2nd or third ingredient. I imediately follow with my Whipped Shea Aloe Emulsion which is an amazing moisturizing treatment and a DC the day after rinsing out the WSAE.

The result is super strong, super moisturized 4a natural almost brastrap length hair with SICK curl definition...

CJ seems more like a protein treatment because it's higher on the ingredients list and uses keratin. And Bask seems more like a reconstructor because protein is lower and it uses plant protein (quinoa). But by name alone, I'd have guessed the reverse.

Do these do different things for your hair?

I am probably using all the terms wrong. I call CJ Repair Me or Bask Whiskey Soak protein treatments. I have no idea if they are reconstructors, protein treatments, or something else.

Sent using LHCF app

After looking at the ingredients, I would think this is more of a reconstructor too.
Sounds like a contender for my replacement. Any drawbacks? :grin:

Last saturday i used DE Restore Vitamin treatment. I would place it in the category of a reconstructor (correct me if i'm wrong) I applied and left in in for 11/2hrs with a steam cap. It did make my hair feel stronger and i didn't go under a dryer. I will try it under a dryer next time Mid week next week other than that.

Sent using LHCF app

I've not noticed that reconstructors have keratin lower on the list. But I haven't been paying attention. The 4 Naturals Reconstructor and the ION reconstructor both contain keratin, but not sure where they are on the list.

How often do you use the Nutrafix?
Is the only difference you feel between reconstructors and protein treatments the strength of the protein?
What does Nutrafix do that your Neutral Protein Filler concoction can't?
Sorry for all of the questions and thanks in advance for answering. :)

I use Giovanni Nutrafix as my reconstructor and although it says reconstructor on the tube, I consider this a moderate protein treatment.

My hard-core monthly protein treatment is 2oz of Neutral Protein Filler...

The result is super strong, super moisturized 4a natural almost brastrap length hair with SICK curl definition...

Sent using LHCF app

ITA about protein being lower on the list in reconstructors. That makes sense since they tend to have more than just strengthening properties. I also notice that reconstructors use plant protein more often.
I started using Hask Placenta Instant Hair Repair to compare to AphOgee's Green Tea and though they're both leave-in reconstructors, I get totally different results...

I've not noticed that reconstructors have keratin lower on the list. But I haven't been paying attention. The 4 Naturals Reconstructor and the ION reconstructor both contain keratin, but not sure where they are on the list.

Sent using LHCF app

CJ seems more like a protein treatment because it's higher on the ingredients list and uses keratin. And Bask seems more like a reconstructor because protein is lower and it uses plant protein (quinoa). But by name alone, I'd have guessed the reverse. Do these do different things for your hair? Sent using LHCF app

They act pretty similar. Leave my hair soft upon rinsing it. If I had to choose one, I will probably go with the Repair Me because it works immediately.

ETA: There are also plant based keratins. CJ also lists this as a reconstructive treatment. Perhaps another category :lol:

Last edited:
How often do you use the Nutrafix?
Is the only difference you feel between reconstructors and protein treatments the strength of the protein?
What does Nutrafix do that your Neutral Protein Filler concoction can't?
Sorry for all of the questions and thanks in advance for answering. :)

Sent using LHCF app

kxlot79

• How often do you use the Nutrafix? It's in my bi-weekly DC mix.
  • What does Nutrafix do that your Neutral Protein Filler concoction can't? Nutrafix alone is not enough to keep my superfine strands strong: Neutral Protein Filler (NPF) is like pure protein for my hair. Heat opens my cuticles so it can penetrate deeper. I add the silk to balance the hardening effects of the NPF, which was one of the reasons I adored Aphogee's Green Tea Keratin Reconstructor (there's that word again!) but since they changed the formula, I had to find a cone-free alternative. NPF + SAA is that alternative.
  • Is the only difference you feel between reconstructors and protein treatments the strength of the protein? To me, yes. All I know is that Nutrafix does not have keratin in it (it has hydrolyzed soy or wheat) and I figure anything with keratin in it and pretty high up on the ingredients list, like NPF and Cure Care Conditioner, has to impart some major strengthening. But maybe some else can chime in on the specifics of that...
HTH!

They act pretty similar. Leave my hair soft upon rinsing it. If I had to choose one, I will probably go with the Repair Me because it works immediately.

ETA: There are also plant based keratins. CJ also lists this as a reconstructive treatment. Perhaps another category :lol:

:yep:. Giovanni has a FABULOUS product called 2Chic that has phytokeratin and Argan Oil. It's the conditioner in the purplish bottle and you can find it at Whole Foods...

After looking at the ingredients, I would think this is more of a reconstructor too.
Sounds like a contender for my replacement. Any drawbacks? :grin:
Sent using LHCF app

kxlot79 Not at all i am going to use it again soon but so far i :love: it and for the price, I wish there was a bigger bottle of it.

I grabbed my pen and paper to take notes of reconstructors with great reviews that i my mind n heart likes.

For my strong protein treatment every 6 weeks or so, I use Komaza Protein Strengthener. When I need a good protein boost, I use SD's Mocha Silk Infusion as a reconstructor.

ETA: When I don't feel like dcing, I just spray Aphogee Green Tea & Keratin Reconstucturizer as a leave in after washing, then put a moisturizing leave in on top of that.

Last edited:
Um... Can you name one?
As I understand the substance, keratin is an animal by product or animal-derived protein. I think keratin can't be isolated from plants because they don't even produce it... :look: Unless you know something I don't... In which case, please share!

There are also plant based keratins.

Sent using LHCF app

I've also read that reconstructors are more multi-purpose/multi-dimensional than protein treatments. Have you found this to be the case?

When you do your protein treatments with dry heat, do you allow your hair to dry/mostly dry and leave it in or wash it out?

What are your fave protein treatments and reconstructors?

Sent using LHCF app

kxlot79

I allow my Reconstructors & Protein Rx's to get hard under dryer (no plastic cap).

I usually do about 20 minutes.

In no particular order:
Claudie's Reconstructor
SSI Okra
AG Reconstructor
Tigi Dumb Blonde
Affirm 5n1
Nexxus Emergencee
Nexxus Keraphix
Giovanni Nutra-Fix
MyHoneyChild Honey & Horsetail Reconstructor

Protein:
Claudie's Renew Protein
Cathy Howse UBH
Affirm Sustenance
Dudley Hair Rebuilder
*Have HV Methi Set (haven't used)
SSI Fortifying
Aubrey Organics GPB

I know I'm missing some......:look:

Far as Multi-Dimensional, I use a Reconstructor each Wash-Day. I use Protein Rx as needed.

Um... Can you name one? As I understand the substance, keratin is an animal by product or animal-derived protein. I think keratin can't be isolated from plants because they don't even produce it... :look: Unless you know something I don't... In which case, please share! Sent using LHCF app

Here ya go:

FSS Plant Keratin PF features hydrolyzed proteins derived from wheat, corn and soybeans, which combined can enhance moisturization and conditioning properties of a wide variety of skin care and hair care applica*tions, in addition to, providing film forming and anti-irritant benefits to leave skin and hair hydrated and healthy.

http://www.formulatorsampleshop.com/Plant-Keratin-PF-p/fss20624pf.htm

After doing some detective work, I have come to the conclusion that companies are playing fast and loose with word association! If someone with a stronger background in chemistry/biology could pipe in, that would be fantastic.

Cosmetic grade/commercially available keratin is animal-derived. (The most popular source being sheep's wool.)

Product descriptions claiming "plant-based keratin" are using "keratin" and "protein" interchangeably.

The name of this product is "Plant Keratin" but in the ingredients it's all "hydrolyzed corn/soy/wheat" in other words *plant* protein.
Even "phytokeratin" is playing on consumers' word association because this is a commercial, not *scientific*, designation in a similar way as the product referenced below. When I looked up exactly what "phytokeratin" is, I frequently ran into "proprietary blend of corn/soy/wheat (*plant*) protein" meaning some commercial formula of plant proteins.

The only class of proteins similar to keratin in terms of cornification or molecular structure I could find was silk protein (and that comes from insects, not plants).

Thanks to all the input from you lovely ladies, I've come to the conclusion that the formulation of a product is going to impact my hair more than whether it's plant or animal based or even if it's a reconstructor or protein treatment. A plant-based protein (or reconstructor) product with a higher concentration of active ingredients could be much stronger on my hair than an animal-based protein (or protein) product with the active ingredients way lower on the list. And I doubt I ever would have come to this idea without the investigation prompted by this discussion.

I felt compelled to share these ideas in case LHCFers are vegan or have allergies or know their hair to have adverse reactions with specific ingredients.

Sent using LHCF app

Last edited:
This was *extremely* helpful! :grin:
Thanks so much for your detailed response!
Even with all the research I try to do on most of my products, it can't replace a good LHCF thread on product use and interactions! :bighug:

...I figure anything with keratin in it and pretty high up on the ingredients list, like NPF and Cure Care Conditioner, has to impart some major strengthening. But maybe some else can chime in on the specifics of that...
HTH!

Sent using LHCF app

I've been researching reconstructors for a few weeks now trying to decide on the best one to buy and I'm noticing that none of the ones I've looked at have similar ingredients. I've checked out (or have used before)
Apogee 2 min(mostly veg proteins)
CJ Repair me(keratin protein)
Giovanni Nutrafix (still looking for the protein in this one)and
Affirm 5 n 1(collagen protein)

Aubrey Organics GPB is my favorite anything, it is a protein reconstructor DC. Reconstructors saved my hair :yep:

Im a straight hair natural and I use nexxus emergencee followed by humectress to keep my strands strong. After wearing a blowout emergencee makes my curls come back

lamaria211 said:
I've been researching reconstructors for a few weeks now trying to decide on the best one to buy and I'm noticing that none of the ones I've looked at have similar ingredients. I've checked out (or have used before)
Apogee 2 min(mostly veg proteins)
CJ Repair me(keratin protein)
Giovanni Nutrafix (still looking for the protein in this one)and
Affirm 5 n 1(collagen protein)

Giovanni Nutrafix ingredients. I guess it is the glycine soja, but what else?

Aqua (purified water) with *rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) oil, *nettle (Uritica dioica) oil, *thyme (Thymus vulagris) oil, birch leaf (Butela alba) oil, *chamomile (Anthemis nobilus flower) oil, *clary (Salvia sclarea), *lavender (Lavandula angustifolia), *coltsfoot leaf (Tussilago farfara), *yarrow (Achillea millefolium) oil, *mallow (Malva sylvestris), *horsetail (Equistetum arvense) oil, *soybean protein (Glycine soja), cetyl alcohol (plant derived), stearalkonium chloride, tocopherol (vitamin E), trace minerals, citric acid (corn), sodium hydroxymethyglycinate, grapefruit seed (citrus derived). Certified organic in accordance with California Organic Foods Act of 1990.

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

Back