Let's talk cheapie conditioners.........

MissMusic

So, we're always talking about the great, awesome, to die for shampoo's, deep conditioners, leave-in's, etc. Instead, let's talk about the cheapie conditioner's, the underdog's:

What's your fav cheapie conditioner?
What do you use it for?
What do you add to it, if anything?

Suave Lavendar!!!!!!!!!!

What do you use it for?
I use it to pre-poo and co-washing

For pre-pooing I add jojoba oil/grapeseed oil and sit under the dryer for 10 minutes.
For co-washing I add honey and castor oil.

Whats your favorite Cheapie

Right now I have two, Herbal Essences LTR and the Dangerously Straight conditioner

What do you use it for?

Co washing

I don't add anything

I use Cantu rinse out shea butter conditioner ($3.99). I love it, but i've heard good things about tresemme vit E so i might try that out soonish.

I use the cantu rinse out for co-washes :)

ETA: i dont add anything to it

Suave Vo5 strawberries and cream is my favorite.

I use it to cowash and I mix it with my Pantene mask to deep condition

I sometimes add honey and heated oil

Got too many, but top 3 in no certain order:
  • Suave Tropical Coconut
  • Suave Juicy Green Apple
  • V05 Strawberries n Cream
  • Sunsilk Hydra TLC
What do you use it for?
Co-washes
Honey in them all, except for the Sunsilk one.

LeKair Cholesterol Plus, WRTC

What do you use it for?
LeKair I use for pre-pooing/DCing, WRTC I use as a final conditioning rinse.

LeKair I like to mix w/ORS Replenishing conditioner & oil, WRTC I use on top of my in-shower conditioner when detangling.

Tresemme - I use the condish on my daughters' hair, for their co-washes.
Garnier - my daughters' cowashes
Mane-n-Tail - again same
Dove- again same
CHOLESTEROL - is always a staple here!!!! For prepoos, co-washes, DCs, mainly on my girls, and recently I added it to my relaxer, and that was my best relaxer yet!

They have THICK natural hair that soaks up bottles of condish, so I buy what is on sale. I use most of them on dry hair as a prepoo, to help soften new growth.

I have been adding coconut oil or EVOO to their co-washes, and mine, and that seems to be a nice addition...adds great slip, great for detangling.

Got too many, but top 3 in no certain order:
  • Suave Tropical Coconut
  • Suave Juicy Green Apple
  • V05 Strawberries n Cream
  • Sunsilk Hydra TLC
What do you use it for?
Co-washes
Honey in them all, except for the Sunsilk one.

^^^^what does the honey do? is it like an extra moisturizer or something?

Do you guys think that White Rain and Suave are the same?

I used to wonder the about the same thing. I think they are the same.

To answer the question, I like to use suave for my co-washes

Last edited:
Suave Humectant is in constant rotation. I use it to co-wash and prepoo. When I pre-poo with it, I add EVOO or castor oil. And I just found out that they're selling it in a bigger bottle. WOOOHOOOO!!!!

Suave Humectant
HE LTR
I haven't found any others I like yet

What do you use it for?
pre-poo and co-washing

For pre-pooing I add coconut oil with heat
I add nothing for co-washing

White Rain Tropical Coconut
Hebal Essense LTR and Break's Over

What do you use it for?

WRTC for Henna Glosses
HE LTR and BO for Condition wash

Yep, MCrzyGr is correct on the moisture and slip as for my reasonings behind using honey.

Also as for Suave and White Rain being the same, I thought so too, until I smelled both Tropical Coconuts from the lines, and they smell somewhat different to me. It could be just me, I dunno.

Ladies that add honey to your cheapies, how do you do it? Do you just pour it inside the bottle of conditioner? Mix it together with the conditioner in your hand? Also, do you have any particular brand of honey that you use or does it not matter?

Ladies that add honey to your cheapies, how do you do it? Do you just pour it inside the bottle of conditioner? Mix it together with the conditioner in your hand? Also, do you have any particular brand of honey that you use or does it not matter?

I warm some (enough to liquify), pour it into the bottle (most bottle's aren't full), and then shake. I use the cheapest grocery store honey. I just read the ingredients to be sure that there's only honey.

VO5 Silky Experiences Lavender Luster. It smells so good.

What do you use it for?
Co-Washing

:nono:, nothing at all

Don't laugh, but I pour my condish into a baby bowl, add some honey on top, and stir it up real smooth with a baby spoon!! :lol::lol: My baby don't use 'em no more so I figured I'd find some use for it later, and that's what I'm doing LOL:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

And oh ETA: I use the honey shaped like a bear!:grin:

Last edited:
I warm some (enough to liquify), pour it into the bottle (most bottle's aren't full), and then shake. I use the cheapest grocery store honey. I just read the ingredients to be sure that there's only honey.

Thank you! I think I'm going to give this a try. I need all the moisture I can get.:yep:

Don't laugh, but I pour my condish into a baby bowl, add some honey on top, and stir it up real smooth with a baby spoon!! :lol::lol: My baby don't use 'em no more so I figured I'd find some use for it later, and that's what I'm doing LOL:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

And oh ETA: I use the honey shaped like a bear!:grin:

Whenever I hear "honey" I always think of that little bear! :lol:

Lekair,Queen Helene and VO5{the different fragrances..ahhhh} plus cheap as dirt! Lekair and QH for conditioning shampoos..sometimes mixed with dominican cons or DPR-11 for deep cons. I love using the VO5 for conditioner shampoos; good results and I can save my precious$$ NEXXUS.

Last edited:

What do you use it for?

My fav cheapie conditioners:
Mane n Tail - use it as a CW
QH Cholesterol - use as a prepoo or DC
Tressemee - use as a prepoo, CW or add to DC
ORS OO Replenishing pak - use as a prepoo or DC

I've added coconut oil, JBCO, avocado oil & sweet almond oil to my conditioners in my prepoo.

Suave Humectant is in constant rotation. I use it to co-wash and prepoo. When I pre-poo with it, I add EVOO or castor oil. And I just found out that they're selling it in a bigger bottle. WOOOHOOOO!!!!

How big? lol. The biggest bottle I can find around me is 22.5 ounces.

my fav. cheapie conditioner is Suave milk n honey.

I use it for pre-pooing... I mix it with Amla oil and cover with a plastic cap for an hour before I shampoo.

I love these conditioners: White Rain Sunflower Fresh, VO5 Honeydew Smoothie and Juicy Mango Passion and Breck Restorative conditioners. These conditioners are all found in the dollar store or Big Lots and have awesome ingredients and I mean a string of great hair-friendly things -- like panthenol, vitamin e, vitamin a, aloe vera, horsetail, rosemary, chamomile, wheat protein, silk amino acides -- all kinds of fruit extracts (melon, mango, papaya, etc) high up on the list, not at the bottom. I mostly use to co-wash, but I also use to deep condition to which I add yogurt, honey, powdered herbs, whey protein and MSM.

Back