Let's Talk Braid Outs-Yea or Nay!

janeemat

I've been in a braid out the last week since I've been on vaca. I'm enjoying it, but it seems like a whole lot of manipulation. I've also noticed that your ends may get tangled so it seems like I l'm losing more hair. I have to re-braid it nightly to maintain it. More pulling. Is this a norm? Are braid outs healthy for the hair. I do like the big hair look.

I love braid outs - they are beautiful! I detangle my hair thoroughly before putting in my cornrows initially and the next couple of nights I dampen each section with my moisturising spritz before rebraiding - I feel little to no snags or pulls while doing this.
Definitely not enough manipulation to worry about.

Last edited:
I looooove braidouts (well actually I do TWISTouts)..... There is some manipulation every night with the re-braiding/twisting, but IMO its much better than the alternative (using heat). My hair is thriving this way. I just make sure to use a creamy conditioner to help the hair glide and reduce tangling (I use good ol' VO5 Moisture Milks-it really allows the hair to glide back into the twists easily, even 14 weeks post)

I looooove braidouts (well actually I do TWISTouts)..... There is some manipulation every night with the re-braiding/twisting, but IMO its much better than the alternative (using heat). My hair is thriving this way. I just make sure to use a creamy conditioner to help the hair glide and reduce tangling (I use good ol' VO5 Moisture Milks-it really allows the hair to glide back into the twists easily, even 14 weeks post)[/quote]

I'm almost 11 wks post, so it really helps to hide the ng. Are you you re-wetting your hair each time before you twist it. I just add a little Jane Carter nourish and shine along with some FF glossing cream at night to re braid it. I always rollerset my hair, so heat is not an issue for me.

I love braid outs - they are beautiful! I detangle my hair thoroughly before putting in my cornrows initially and the next couple of nights I dampen each section with my moisturising spritz before rebraiding - I don't feel little to no snags or pulls while doing this.

I guess I need to really moisturize more before rebraiding to move some tangles.

I looooove braidouts (well actually I do TWISTouts)..... There is some manipulation every night with the re-braiding/twisting, but IMO its much better than the alternative (using heat). My hair is thriving this way. I just make sure to use a creamy conditioner to help the hair glide and reduce tangling (I use good ol' VO5 Moisture Milks-it really allows the hair to glide back into the twists easily, even 14 weeks post)[/quote]

I'm almost 11 wks post, so it really helps to hide the ng. Are you you re-wetting your hair each time before you twist it. I just add a little Jane Carter nourish and shine along with some FF glossing cream at night to re braid it. I always rollerset my hair, so heat is not an issue for me.

No, I don't usually re-wet it. i just throw about a quarter size amount of V05 into each section ( I usually make 5-6 twists) along with a dab of Dove Mousse and that usually is enough for me to twist that section without a lot of tangling. I only re-twist for maybe 2 nights in a row, then I must co-wash b/c the use of all that conditioner right near my scalp can lead to build-up if I don't.

I tried braid outs this summer. It seemed like they looked good for 1-2 days, then they looked a ham. I also didn't like how dry my ends seemed. I will revisit them when my hair gets much longer.

I agree, you should lighlty moisturise before rebraiding. Sometimes I apply a tiny amount of lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol (which I usually do on the initial day) to each section before rebraiding.

[/b]

I guess I need to really moisturize more before rebraiding to move some tangles.

I tried braid outs this summer. It seemed like they looked good for 1-2 days, then they looked a ham. I also didn't like how dry my ends seemed. I will revisit them when my hair gets much longer.

My hair is not dry at all. I guess it's all in the product you use. JC nourish and shine and FF glossing cream takes care of that.

Ive been doing twistouts I dont think its too much a manipulation to retwist every night. I also lightly mist with water apply a leave-in and oil before retwisting. I wash or cowash about the third day and start the process over. Just started doing this a couple weeks ago but luv it.

I feel like braid-outs are more manipulation and more time consuming than twist-outs. So I always opt to do twist-outs when it comes to my hair.

I love braidouts. The only way they are a nay is if you aren't moisturizing with them and if you rock them all the time. I rocked them all the time last year and suffered from dryness issues. Worn ocassionally with a good moisturizing reggie they are a definite YAY!

I learned that braidouts would have to be an occasional thing for me. I feel the same way about the manipulation as far as trying to keep it up for days at a time. If I do braidouts in the future it'll be to switch up from bunning when I'm deep into a stretch, but I wouldn't try to maintain the look after one day.

After reading the posts, I think they will be occasionally with me as well. This is too much work and manipulation daily. But it's a good switch up for a day or two. All this rebraiding every night when I can just do a simple bun is not for me. Thanks ladies!

braidouts work for me. I wear them almost exclusively. I have found a leave in/natural oil mix (silicon mix leave in, coconut oil, my hair is always soft) that allows me to keep the style for 2-3 days. After that, I slowly start to pull it back and into a messy bun. I'm able to keep it for one week and not manipulate for one week. If I'm wanting to wear my hair in a braidout everyday I will do it twice a week.

For me, my hair feels healthier, it is less manipulation for me and my hair loves it. I don't rebraid every night. I don't need to. I just lightly finger tousle it and pin it up with bobby pins after a couple of days, maybe at a scarf in the mix.

Last edited:
I love braid outs. I have been wearing them for the past 2 months almost exclusively. It last about 3 or more days. I detangle damp hair with a paddle brush. Followed by a leave-in followed by styling creme/ gel, I use KCKT. I then section into big braids approximately 10-15. I apply shea butter to the ends. I usually do this at night so that my hair has time to dry. But when I take them out it kind of unravels, my ends curl up. Everyday I reapply a generous amount of leave-in conditioner/ moisturizer. I sleep with my hair out on a satin pillowcase.

I attempted a braidout twice but yes my ends got dry and tangly by nightfall. As I rebraided and remoistured at night, I would pull out a lot of my ends.

I'm assuming I should've been using a water-based moisturizer as opposed to an oil-based moisturizer. I duno. :look:

When I did my twistout this summer, I did not retwist it each night because I felt that would counter the whole point of my low manipulation style. Instead I would gather my hair into a loose ponytail at the top of my head. Then sleep with a satin cap. That way the next morning I could let it out and finger-style it the next morning. I did this for three days and it came out nicely for me.

Although I did feel like it was dry despite the fact that I would spritz it daily with my leave-in, but then again my hair always errs on the side of dryness...

I think braidouts are great and I can't imagine how they are too much manipulation. I just don't wear them often because I prefer the fullness and texture of my natural curl or texturized curl to braidout texture.

Back