Let's Talk about Bantu Knots

C(squared)

Hi Ladies,

I recently put some bantu knots in my hair myself for the first time and I LOVED them! Of course, practice makes perfect but I wanted to know from you all who do them and get great results:

1. Do you bantu on wet or dry hair?
2. What products do you use for hold, to eliminate frizz and moisture?
3. How many days do you get out of this style...if more than 1 day, how do you take care of it at night?

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Hey! Ive only tried it a few times and I really liked the results EXCEPT when I did it on freshly washed hair. It took TOO well and instead of being soft waves...Im not sure what I got but it was WRONG!!! LOL I find that it works better when my hair is dirty. And to answer your questions....Ive only done it on dry hair. 2. I LOVE coconut oil...reduces frizz and gives lots of shine. 3. I find it only lasts that one day. I have to redo the knots everynite. Good luck!

Last edited:
I love them also.

I do them on wet hair and since my hair is short and I'm transistioning I do small knots and let dry over night.

On this last set I did I sectioned my hair into four sections. On each section I use my homemade leave in conditioner spray and mane and tail leave in conditioner. I then on each section applied some Black Sassy setting cream ( I'm at work and can't think of the exact name) and proceed to knot that section. I have also used ORS Lock and twist gel with good results.

This set I have actually been able to go 3 days. At night I just add a little moisturizer and a bonnet and go to sleep. In the morning some oil and fluff with a head band and I'm at the door.

I have only done it about 2x in the first few months of my transition. I am going to revisit again this weekend. I plan to use Miss Jessie CP for hold. It will probably last me about 3 days. I do it on freshly washed hair while it is still wet. The only think is my hair takes forever and a day to dry.

To maintain overnight, I clip my front up in two pig tails and out a bonnet on. In the morning, I take the clips out, and shake and go (atleast that what i do with my twist outs.)

Thanks, Ladies! I getting some good tips! I think I'm going to try them on wet hair this time. Maybe they will set better!

Hey,

when my hair is straightened I'll bantu on dry hair with no product just some coconut oil on the last 6 inches or so of hair

When curly, i moisturize with cantu, then use coconut oil and twist it up.

At night when straight, i'll make a low bun or two or 4 and then put on my bonnet and secure the bonnet with a scarf around the perimeter.

If curly, at night i'll pile it on top of my head and put on a bonnet w/ a scarf tied around the perimeter.

I love them too. When I do them, I do it on dry hair. But I put lots of moisture, and seal with oil.
SAM_0006med-1.jpg

SAM_0014med-1.jpg

SAM_0012-1.jpg

exotic mommie I HEART YOUR HAIR! Great job! Maybe you should think about doing a tutorial for it.

ooooooh exotic mommy that's super pretty

Wow! Thanks for the pics, exoticmommie! They look great! How many knots do you put in your hair?

Thanks ladies:grouphug:

I actually followed another YT tutorial.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAtKlpN1BJE

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt0kIhWAiKk

I love them... I will come back to post pix later

I do them on dry hair in 6-8 knots, wet hair takes tooo long to air dry. On wash day I blow dry to about 75% dry
I use Hawaiian Silky 14-1 to set the curl, I will have to try a little ecostyler for hold
I re-knot nightly to maintain the style, spryaing on the Hawaiian silky

I love them! I've been doing bantu knot-outs since beginning my healthy hair journey over a year ago and I the last time I did bantu knots I actually wore them as a style for a couple of days before undoing them.

I always do them on wet or damp hair. When I first started doing them, I would moisturize and use pantene relaxed and natural wrap & set spray for hold. I would also add some shea butter to the end to keep them smooth and unfrizzed. Most recently, I've been doing them with giovanni direct leave in and ecostyler krystal gel.

In terms of technique, it's important to hold the hair taught and make sure it'd detangled and smooth. It also helps to twirl the sections of hair before forming the knot. I always do twists, which I then bantu knot and I find it helpful to twist the hair as I form the knot. Also, it's important to make sure the knot is set in such a way that it will form neat spirals or waves when undone. It's always important to make sure that the ends are tucked under neatly, preferably forming a perfect circle at the base of the bantu knot. Bantu knots must be allowed to dry thoroughly, otherwise they'll get frizzy/puff up or lose their set curl.

When you undo them, oil your fingers first with shea butter or coconut oil and undo them/pull them apart carefully.

I can get 3-5 days out of style. I'll sleep with them loose, pulled up loosely in a puff or pin-curled/re-knotted under a bonnet.

Depending on how you want the style to fall, you might want to try a flat twists with bantu knots at the end. This will set a twist out pattern with curly/spiraled ends and ensure that your hair falls into a desired shape.

Here are some pics:
Bantu knotted twist out during first month of transition on relaxed hair
IMAG03832-vi.jpg

Salvaged bantu knotted twist out during 12 month of transition
100_0442-vi.jpg

100_0439-vi.jpg

Bantu Knots on natural hair using ecostyler gel
100_0746-vi.jpg

Undone after two days and styled using hairpins
100_0772-vi.jpg

Last edited:
I did them once and the shrinkage was unbearable...my hair was like necklength from em...i wasnt crazy about that look, but I wet my hair with a spray bottle as I went along and used ORS Lock and Twist Gel (I believe its cone free) and I braided instead of twisting (learned it on yt) and released em the next morning, the curl pattern was beautiful and the hair was shiny and soft but there was too much shrinkage...i would luv to get mine like exotic mommie's!

Back