Lets Be Real...Is it the stylist or you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your opinion on a stylist destroying your hair and causing a major set back after just one visit?

After my experience last weekend, I don't think it is possible. Last weekend a stylist did the following to my hair poo-clarified, clarified with heat, air dried loose under the dryer, round brush blow dried, marcel flat iron straight, and curled with a ceramic iron. Now my hair was beautiful in the end, but dry as hell to the touch. After the hair style wore off, I conditioned my hair as usual with Kenra MC. And my lovely locs were still healthy and I didn't experience any breakage.

So if your hair was healthy before going into the salon can one visit really ruin your hair? I just don't think so!

okay so maybe your hair is thicker and stronger than others. just like mine. although i was relaxing and using heat like it was going outta style, i could easily achieve APL whereas my sister can't get past SL with the same practices (her hair is thinner and her strands are finer).

i mean, that's like saying all women should be able to deliver a baby with no complications... in theory yes but sometimes perfectly healthy women STILL die of complications during labor and delivery.

Yes

Chemical damage - relaxer or hair color is incorrectly applied
heat damage - no heat protectant or using the wrong products with heat appliances, styling hair with heat
problems at the shampoo bowl - bad detangling and rough shampoo

All these things can cause setbacks ... breakage, excessive hair loss, burns, excessive dryness

I do think sometime people blame things on the stylist .... but that isn't always the case

Sometimes it's a stylist and sometimes it's the client or a combination of both. When I was natural I went to get my hair braided and the stylist was all "pretty waves and curls" and then began to COMB through my hair with a fine tooth comb :eek:! As soon as she started I stopped her and told her that if she wanted to use the tail of the comb that is fine but she will NOT be combing through my hair with that comb. She made some smart remark but oblidged.

I take personal responsiblity for what happens to my hair. No marcels or hot combs, no overlapping of my relaxer and no gels :nono2:. If a stylist can't oblidge, i will leave and find someone who will. Shoot I'll even bring my own products. My hair is and always has been healthy and can "take a beating" but why take that chance? Especially with heat and chemicals. It's really a toss up and anything can happen if you/the stylist aren't careful. Consider yourself lucky. Oh and just cause the damage isn't visible now, doesn't mean that it isn't there. :hair:

Only time will tell, but so far so good :drunk:

On visit to the hair salon set me back 1 1/2 years :perplexed

Wash and condish
dry under hooded dryer
blow dry
flat iron with no heat protection...

looked great for about 1 month... then all hell broke loose. :wallbash:

Ok, this thread has been reported twice already. Please keep it civil. To the poster insulting the OP about her Fotki album, BEWARE. Your treading a very fine line, and are flippin off board rules about insulting members. Let this serve as your warning...

Thanks for the warning. Sometimes the risk is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back