Legitimacy/Purpose of (Certain) Doctoral Degrees and the Ministry

PaperClip

Whew.... Ok.... I'm going to just put this out there....

What's your take concerning honorary doctorates in ministry or doctoral degrees in ministry that some pastoral leaders are given, receive, or possibly earn?

In academia, there's a standard with regard to the legitimacy that such degrees are earned or awarded in the case to honor someone for their charitable works. Usually, people who are awarded honorary degrees do not use the title of Dr. in front of their name.

With regard to doctorates in divinity, these are usually not considered on the same level as say a professional degree, usually because of the rigor of the program or the program's lack of accreditation. Also, only universities can award doctorates, not a college.

Just curious about how this trend is growing to use the term Dr., esp. in Black churches?

P.S. A number of my girlfriends have earned doctorates (and I am working on my doctorate in education); we are active in our churches with blossoming ministries as well. Sometimes there is, how can I say, friction when it comes to the question of legitimacy of their degree attainment.

Thank you in advance for a kind and candid conversation.:)

Last edited:
I think it depends on the route of education one had taken to get the Doctorate in Divinity/Theology. There are many routes and paths to study, some being more academic than others.

Some schools have a theological/divinity school as part of their college (s) as well, so the manner of education is no differen that, let's say, a path in education.

Then there are the specifically designed seminary colleges that vary widely and have individual methods and so on, that may not have as much clout as if one had gone to say, Harvard for their Doctorate. A lot of people see these smaller schools as being "hokey" and strange because their meothod of teaching theology may not folow the same pattern as a large University, which can be significantly mroe rigerous and all encompassing in their teachings.

For example, at Harvard's divinity/theology college, one must have MASTERED a language like Greek/Hebrew/Arabic, studies abroad in the Holy Land, and so on and so forth.

As for other schools, they seem to rely on straight teachings from the Bible.

And the outcome? Well, that I don't know about. I think there' a rash of folks out to get their Phd because they feel that the redimentary passed around "knowledge" of the Bible/God isn't good enough, and they want to see for themselves, more. More of Jesus' life, how/where the Bible was written, the means/methods it was translated, etc.

A lot of people will say that getting such "extra" education is not helpful, or even harmful. Why, I do not know. I don't think there's anything wrong with learning spiritually or academically.

Honestly, I think those honorary degrees can be very misleading. They lend credibility to someone who may not have earned it. I have always been under the impression that you don't use Dr. if it's an honorary degree.

lauren450 said:
Honestly, I think those honorary degrees can be very misleading. They lend credibility to someone who may not have earned it. I have always been under the impression that you don't use Dr. if it's an honorary degree.
Yes, I feel the same way.

lauren450 said:

I couldn't had said it better. This a topic that both my husband and I have discussed to a great degree. In fact, my husband has stopped listening to certain pastor's that has an honorary degree.

LadyR said:
I couldn't had said it better. This a topic that both my husband and I have discussed to a great degree. In fact, my husband has stopped listening to certain pastor's that has an honorary degree.

How does the point of the honorary degree contribute to your husband not wanting to give listen to certain pastors?

StrawberryQueen said:
I think it depends on the route of education one had taken to get the Doctorate in Divinity/Theology. There are many routes and paths to study, some being more academic than others.

Some schools have a theological/divinity school as part of their college (s) as well, so the manner of education is no differen that, let's say, a path in education.

Then there are the specifically designed seminary colleges that vary widely and have individual methods and so on, that may not have as much clout as if one had gone to say, Harvard for their Doctorate. A lot of people see these smaller schools as being "hokey" and strange because their meothod of teaching theology may not folow the same pattern as a large University, which can be significantly mroe rigerous and all encompassing in their teachings.

For example, at Harvard's divinity/theology college, one must have MASTERED a language like Greek/Hebrew/Arabic, studies abroad in the Holy Land, and so on and so forth.

As for other schools, they seem to rely on straight teachings from the Bible.

And the outcome? Well, that I don't know about. I think there' a rash of folks out to get their Phd because they feel that the redimentary passed around "knowledge" of the Bible/God isn't good enough, and they want to see for themselves, more. More of Jesus' life, how/where the Bible was written, the means/methods it was translated, etc.

A lot of people will say that getting such "extra" education is not helpful, or even harmful. Why, I do not know. I don't think there's anything wrong with learning spiritually or academically.

This is interesting... I know some guys who went to Yale Divinity School and left confused. One in particular started with the hopes of becoming a pastor then started questioning his faith... so he thought maybe becoming a politician would be better... :ohwell: I did not keep in touch so I don't know what he finally decided.

Another guy that I grew up with went to Oxford. He's still studying, but I think he will go into a field related to the ministry. And my cousin went to Howard Divinity School. He's in Christian counseling and I think he is still strong in his faith from what I know...

Then I knew others who went to small "backwoods" schools and come out "on fire"... Full of the Holy Spirit as some denominations would say...

I share all of these examples for one reason: I guess when people set out to obtain their degrees, they need to determine if they want an affirmation of their faith or do they know their faith is strong enough to be challenged. If they are not strong in their faith, I can see how a prestigious seminary could sway them back into a restless searching mode... A lot of professors at the most prominant universities question the main tenants of the Chistian faith.:confused:

lauren450 said:

I agree. :yep:

RelaxerRehab said:
How does the point of the honorary degree contribute to your husband not wanting to give listen to certain pastors?

If a certain pastor is saying that they have a degree but leave out the fact that it is honorary and most people are thinking that it is a degree that he has worked for then he is being dishonest by omission. If he is dishonest about that what else is he being dishonest being? Just something to think about.

LadyR said:
If a certain pastor is saying that they have a degree but leave out the fact that it is honorary and most people are thinking that it is a degree that he has worked for then he is being dishonest by omission. If he is dishonest about that what else is he being dishonest being? Just something to think about.

Ahh... ok... I understand now.... it's the deception versus the point of origin of the degree....

lauren450 said:

ITA

I also agree with LadyR post here: If a certain pastor is saying that they have a degree but leave out the fact that it is honorary and most people are thinking that it is a degree that he has worked for then he is being dishonest by omission. If he is dishonest about that what else is he being dishonest being? Just something to think about.

kelouis75 said:
This is interesting... I know some guys who went to Yale Divinity School and left confused. One in particular started with the hopes of becoming a pastor then started questioning his faith... so he thought maybe becoming a politician would be better... :ohwell: I did not keep in touch so I don't know what he finally decided.

Another guy that I grew up with went to Oxford. He's still studying, but I think he will go into a field related to the ministry. And my cousin went to Howard Divinity School. He's in Christian counseling and I think he is still strong in his faith from what I know...

Then I knew others who went to small "backwoods" schools and come out "on fire"... Full of the Holy Spirit as some denominations would say...

I share all of these examples for one reason: I guess when people set out to obtain their degrees, they need to determine if they want an affirmation of their faith or do they know their faith is strong enough to be challenged. If they are not strong in their faith, I can see how a prestigious seminary could sway them back into a restless searching mode... A lot of professors at the most prominant universities question the main tenants of the Chistian faith.:confused:

I think the more rigorous Divinity programs are necessary. If people are going to be teaching God's word then they need to have a deeper understanding of what they are studying. The Hebraic and Apostolic scriptures were written between 4000-2000 years ago in Middle Eastern and European languages. In order to properly convey the meaning of these texts it's imperative to know exactly what they are saying, but also the context and history behind what was written. I think it's also necessary for pastors to have a full understanding of the history of church doctrine, where much of it comes from and why.
For professors to question the main tenants of the faith is actually a good thing. I think lay people would be surprised to find out where a good deal of our theology actually comes from. Questioning does not always have to be a bad thing. A deeper understanding of the faith that Jesus and the Apostles left us with can come from questioning what Christians for centuries have held to be true. Just because the institutional church lables a practice or principle as doctrine and has done so for centuries doesn't necessarily make it right or true. I think the more rigorous programs like Harvard, Yale, Howard open up a wealth of information and knowledge that most would not see without learning the languages, history, culture, geography, etc of Scripture.

Back