Leave-ins, and daily moisturizers

QUEENJAMES231

I'm sure this has been talked about before, but i wasnt sure what to search, i tried daily moisturizers and leave-in vs moisturzers, but i couldn't find the answer to my question. I am currently using a leave-in, HE LTR, as my daily moisturizer. Is that enough or should I actually be using a moisturizer?

I only use a leave-in like giovanni direct or something like NTM daily deep conditioner. I do not think an actual moisturizer is always neccessary.

Which ever one, your hair prefers....

HE LTR is actually a protein leave in you should try a moisture based leave in like ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer, QB Amla and Heavy Cream or African Royale MOM Miracle Oil Moisturizer. You can seal using coconut oil or olive oil.

I love NTM silk touch leave in as a daily moisturizer but I also use ORS Carrot oil when my hair is really thirsty. I know of some people who will dilute a little VO5 moisture milks and use that as a moisturizer. OOh and at one point I would use a little lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol condish as a moisturizer so I agree with wavesofmotion..its really what your hair prefers :yep:

HE LTR is actually a protein leave in you should try a moisture based leave in like ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer, QB Amla and Heavy Cream or African Royale MOM Miracle Oil Moisturizer. You can seal using coconut oil or olive oil.

I dont think I have been paying attention - I didnt realize that HE LTR is a protein leave in .....:look:

For me personally, I cannot discern a moisturizer from a leave-in. They both moisturize technically and they're both left in. I have a rule of thumb. I look at the ingredients on a product that is meant to be left in the hair. If water is the top ingredient, it's moisturizing because water is moisture and can be sealed in. I know of some people who just use only water and seal with an oil or a butter and that's how they moisturize their hair. Now how the leave in/moisturizer affects your hair regardless of there being water is a different matter. What follows the water could mean how moisturizing it is. Just my opinion.

I've even read/heard that some people think that the difference is in the marketing---that moisturizers are marketed towards ethnic/curly/afro textured hair and leave-ins target straighter hair types to serve the same purpose. Different sides of the same coin.

I dont think I have been paying attention - I didnt realize that HE LTR is a protein leave in .....:look:

Girl, me neither! :lachen:

It's got hydrolyzed silk in it:

Ingredients: water/eau, stearyl alcohol, cyclopentasiloxane, cetyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, rubus idaeus (raspberry) juice, hydrolyzed silk, dimethicone, glutamic acid, fragrance/parfum, benzyl alcohol, citric acid, sodium chloride, edta, propylene glycol, dmdm hydantoin, red 33.

But it's never acted like a protein in my hair. I was applying it daily for a few weeks, and got no hardness or crunchiness. Just moisture. IMO, just because it has protein in it doesn't make it a protein product. It has more smoothing and conditioning agents in it than strengthening ones, so it's still a moisturizing product. After all, formulation and ratio of ingredients is important too, not just ingredients themselves. But I digress.

To answer OP's question, I'd say to just use what your hair likes. If it likes the LTR, then keep using it. If your hair hasn't been reacting so well to it, then try switching to another moisturizer.

Thanks cuz I do really love thats stuff, and I am on my second bottle now and my hair is doing great. I think I will keep using it, but just be on the look out for signs of protein overload..

Girl, me neither! :lachen:

It's got hydrolyzed silk in it:

Ingredients: water/eau, stearyl alcohol, cyclopentasiloxane, cetyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, rubus idaeus (raspberry) juice, hydrolyzed silk, dimethicone, glutamic acid, fragrance/parfum, benzyl alcohol, citric acid, sodium chloride, edta, propylene glycol, dmdm hydantoin, red 33.

But it's never acted like a protein in my hair. I was applying it daily for a few weeks, and got no hardness or crunchiness. Just moisture. IMO, just because it has protein in it doesn't make it a protein product. It has more smoothing and conditioning agents in it than strengthening ones, so it's still a moisturizing product. After all, formulation and ratio of ingredients is important too, not just ingredients themselves. But I digress.

To answer OP's question, I'd say to just use what your hair likes. If it likes the LTR, then keep using it. If your hair hasn't been reacting so well to it, then try switching to another moisturizer.

I use kbb hair milk or nectar as a leave-in, detangler, and a moisturizer. a little goes a long way...i really don't see the difference either.

It certainly doesn't act like a protein. It makes my hair incredibly soft and feels more moisturized than when I use my Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Cream.

For me personally, I cannot discern a moisturizer from a leave-in. They both moisturize technically and they're both left in...I have a rule of thumb. I look at the ingredients on a product that is meant to be left in the hair. If water is the top ingredient, it's moisturizing because water is moisture and can be sealed in. I know of some people who just use only water and seal with an oil or a butter and that's how they moisturize their hair. Now how the leave in/moisturizer affects your hair regardless of there being water is a different matter. What follows the water could mean how moisturizing it is. Just my opinion.

I've even read/heard that some people think that the difference is in the marketing---that moisturizers are marketed towards ethnic/curly/afro textured hair and leave-ins target straighter hair types to serve the same purpose. Different sides of the same coin.

IA. I use Trader Joes Nourish Spa Conditioner after wash, leave it in and seal with castor oil. Works just as well as my moisturizer.

It really is a marketing ploy, IMO. Used not only to target different demographics, but to make you spend more money (I'm not falling for it) :nono:.

I'm a natural. I leave in a litle bit of my conditioner after washing my hair each time and seal with a heavy oil like castor oil.

For daily maintenance, I add a little bit of a lighter oil like coconut oil to my hair and it feels moisturized.

op, you're good, there is not really a difference between a leave in and a daily moisturizer...
if he ltr works for you, keep using it by all means; you don't need anything extra

Back