Leave in conditioner vs. Moisturizers

FemmeFatale

What is the difference? I have Cantu shea butter leave in and I use it just about everyday to moisturize and to slick my hair into a bun.

i think leave ins can also be used on damp hair whereas moisturizers are just for dry hair usage...could be wrong though

So is it necessary to use a moisturizer if you are using a leave in conditioner?

I used to use both, but for the past few months, I stick to my leave-in + oil to seal. My hair routine was becoming way to complicated and I found that the extra moisturizer wasn't necessary.

i use both usually my moisturizers are a little thicker than my leave ins. sometimes i use my leave ins to moisturize but i never use my moisturizers as a leave in

They really do the same thing, but often times LIs are thinner, containing more water, and moisturizers contain more oils rather than emollients. I've started using some of my more watery (ie not as heavy) moisturizers (like Qhemet Burdock Root Butter Cream) as LIs on wet hair and they work awesome. Sometimes I use heavier LIs (like Cantu) to moisturize dry hair before bed.

Note though - I'm natural and air dry so I wouldn't know if this applies if you are relaxed and blowdry...

there is no difference to me. a leave in conditioner helps to keep your hair moisturized. a moisturizer can be applied after you wash without using a "leave in conditioner".

Back