Learning howto braid- for real!

Ladybelle

So, after I ordered videos, watched youtube, sought advice on LHCF, listened to tutorials and practiced & practiced some more... I still wasn't comfortable with my braiding skills so I went to searching for someone who could teach me hands-on and was fortunate to find Maria, a lady from Nigeria who actually teaches braiding for a very small fee.

And, I must say - the method(s) employed by Maria is somewhat different than what I have seen in other vids, or youtube tutorials. It's truly an art form! What I have learned from her over the past few days has been worth every single penny!! :yep::grin:

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. Thanks for reading!!!

Lucky. :yep: I really wish I could braid/cornrow well enough to do a good job on my own head or someone else's.

Sooo....where are you located and how can we find Maria?

You are lucky to have someone to teach you.

I was thinking about buying a mannequin head from Sally's and practicing with that. I wish I could find someone to teach me. My mom lives in another state.:sad:

That's what I'm thinking! :grin:
All the videos & tutorials out there aren't helping me either!

I was thinking about buying a mannequin head from Sally's and practicing with that. I wish I could find someone to teach me. My mom lives in another state.:sad:

I bought one of the Sally's mannequin heads,....and nothing. She just sits, barely used, on my dresser with my wigs. I need one with a texture more similar to my own. :yep:

Can you share what you're learning, please? I hate feeling like I'm the only back woman who can't braid!:ohwell::wallbash::rolleyes:

I found Maria on Craigslist, she is in Georgia. I drove 3 hours from Alabama for three days of training. She charged $100.00 for three days. I searched online for other braiding courses but they were either too far away or cost too much. I think you're in New Jersey but if anyone wants her number, just PM me. Right now, she's doing it from her house but wants to one day open her own school. There were three other people in class with me.

Can you share what you're learning, please? I hate feeling like I'm the only back woman who can't braid!:ohwell::wallbash::rolleyes:

Sure, I don't mind sharing. Maria allowed me to video tape some of the lessons, she asked me NOT to share them with anyone, but I plan on doing my own when I get home.

I will say this-- it's all in the hands. How fast you are depends on well you can maintain your hands. You may know that already but I did learn that what some of us call cornrows are really French braids & there is a big difference between the two. You can't really do a good job french braiding an updoe'd ponytail or adding extensions. It just doesn't look as good.

Also,there is a reason for every single thing you see them do at the braid shops. Like combing the weaved hair & pulling the ends. Curling hair with yarn is really pretty simple.

It's hard to explain it all without demonstrating the techniques so stay tuned for the videos.... :yep:

I really take for granted my being able to cornrow/braid hair. I am Nigerian and I am curious to know what she is calling a french braid....

This?

Or This?

I really won't mind teaching people how to braid free of charge, I am amazed at how many ways there are out there to make money.

It's good to know you learned how to cornrow/braid :yep: Looking forward to seeing your videos.

Last edited:
Sure, I don't mind sharing. Maria allowed me to video tape some of the lessons, she asked me NOT to share them with anyone, but I plan on doing my own when I get home.

I will say this-- it's all in the hands. How fast you are depends on well you can maintain your hands. You may know that already but I did learn that what some of us call cornrows are really French braids & there is a big difference between the two. You can't really do a good job french braiding an updoe'd ponytail or adding extensions. It just doesn't look as good.

Also,there is a reason for every single thing you see them do at the braid shops. Like combing the weaved hair & pulling the ends. Curling hair with yarn is really pretty simple.

It's hard to explain it all without demonstrating the techniques so stay tuned for the videos.... :yep:

This is very nice of you! I really need to learn how to braid.

That's what I'm thinking! :grin:
All the videos & tutorials out there aren't helping me either!

I bought one of the Sally's mannequin heads,....and nothing. She just sits, barely used, on my dresser with my wigs. I need one with a texture more similar to my own. :yep:

I bought one too and it's sitting up in one of my closets. They really need to make one with afro-textured hair. The parts are never right and the hair is too silky.

I know how to cornrow but was looking to do other things but here is a site you that offer videos for braids/weaves etc. http://www.braidsbybreslin.com/ The owner is also a member here and offer 10% discount code is LHCF.

I have alot of her videos and they are very good. They are sooo professional. I have been watching them again because I too want to braid well enough to do my own and charge people. I also want to be able to start weaving too.

Congratulations! I can't wait to see the videos. Make sure you post a link to them.:grin:

Congrats on learning how to braid. It's a great skill.
I was lucky that my mom braided hair and taught me, but if she hadn't. I don't know what I would have done.

I really take for granted my being able to cornrow/braid hair. I am Nigerian and I am curious to know what she is calling a french braid....

This?

Or This?

I really won't mind teaching people how to braid free of charge, I am amazed at how many ways there are out there to make money.

It's good to know you learned how to cornrow/braid :yep: Looking forward to seeing your videos.

the 3rd pic is what we call "european" braid in my country.
the 1st pic, we called regular braid. it was very popular when i was young. now, it's all about the european braid, the smaller the better.

Good for you asuperwoman. I can braid well but i just learned to do the twists. I did senegalese twists on my own hair yesterday.

Any of you ladies in the DMV area can PM me. I'll teach you free of charge, that's how I learned :)

This?

Or This?

the second one looks like what Maria called a french braid - funny, she is also from Nigeria like you. If I understood correctly, it's HOW you braid them that makes the difference. Say, could you add extensions to those braids without changing up your hand position???

There are many ways like you said to make money- I had nobody to teach me hands on how to braid so I was willing to pay to learn & improve.

I know how to cornrow but was looking to do other things but here is a site you that offer videos for braids/weaves etc. http://www.braidsbybreslin.com/ The owner is also a member here and offer 10% discount code is LHCF.

I have some of Braidsbybreslin dvd's and I agree they are very well done, professional & etc- but I just needed that hands on instruction. They were a great starting point for me, but I'm not sure I could start charging people money with just her dvd's. Maybe that's just me though...Some things I couldn't see or ask on the video and spending time with someone who was able to show me what I was doing wrong was definitely beneficial for me. I will say that when we got to the Kinky Twist part of the lesson, I was already ready thanks to a Braidbybreslin dvd.

Good for you asuperwoman. I can braid well but i just learned to do the twists. I did senegalese twists on my own hair yesterday.

Any of you ladies in the DMV area can PM me. I'll teach you free of charge, that's how I learned :)

You must be good to be able to braid your own hair. It's also kind of you to pass on your skill FREE of charge. Each one, teach one. I know once I get really good, I'm gonna teach anybody who wants to learn.

I have alot of her videos and they are very good. They are sooo professional. I have been watching them again because I too want to braid well enough to do my own and charge people. I also want to be able to start weaving too.

Congratulations! I can't wait to see the videos. Make sure you post a link to them.:grin:

Oh I'm not making videos this is a site you can order videos.

I never really pay attention to the positioning of my hands when I braid/cornrow.... The next time I cornrow with extensions (have no idea when cos the last time I did this was years ago), I'll see if I do anything different.

HHG, look forward to seeing your vids.

the second one looks like what Maria called a french braid - funny, she is also from Nigeria like you. If I understood correctly, it's HOW you braid them that makes the difference. Say, could you add extensions to those braids without changing up your hand position???

There are many ways like you said to make money- I had nobody to teach me hands on how to braid so I was willing to pay to learn & improve.

I'll definitely be paying close attention to this thread because I really want to learn how to braid and cornrow my own hair.

Can't wait to see your video, OP! :yep:

I want to do twist. Someone did them for me this time but I want to learn on my own. I have been looking at the youtube videos and studying them. I'm in Delaware. Can you give any tips on how to do the twist and on braiding. Maybe one day I can travel to you. I'm not far but I get lose easier.

I want to do twist. Someone did them for me this time but I want to learn on my own. I have been looking at the youtube videos and studying them. I'm in Delaware. Can you give any tips on how to do the twist and on braiding. Maybe one day I can travel to you. I'm not far but I get lose easier.

I know we all learn differently, but the most important thing in braiding that I was messing up on is the grip. If you're initial grip is off or bad, then it's a wrap. Finding a gripping method that works will do wonders with your braiding.

With the twist, the key is to make sure in addition to twisting the whole thing, you have to individually twist each piece of hair as you rotate one strand around the other. otherwise, they will unravel or look more like bushy dreads instead of twists.

HTH, but stay tune for the vids.

eta: Hopefully by the time you decide to travel here, I'll be good enough to actually teach you how to braid!!

Last edited:
I go to Maria for her to do my Senegalese twist. She is the ONLY person I will ever let braid my hair!

She is good. Be sure to tell her I am recommending her on here!!! I'm also glad to know that I learned from the best. Oh and tell her, two people have already pm'd me for her number.

Back