Layering vs mixing

HanaKuroi

I like to layer my conditioners. I wonder if I can get the same results from mixing? Any opinions?

I will put a less slippy conditioner on topped by a slippy one. I like the smoothing that I get.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I prefer layering to mixing. I use my most effective conditioner first so that my hair absorbs that conditioner the most, then I top it off with a conditioner I'm trying to use up.

I also layer...I feel it controls the level of protein vs moisture that I'm looking for and where I'm looking to concentrate it and including oils in the layering I feel holds the conditioner in while I steam or otherwise.

I usually mix conditioners in my palm before slathering on my hair. I feel like I have better control over ensuring each strand gets the same mix.

If it is conditioner with oils/honey/glycerin etc., I layer.

IDK what this is, I do this for DD's waist length hair:

One condish on the scalp (that advertises growth) that is really slippy and a light reconstructor on the length for strength and to control breakage. If she needs more slip or moisture after letting the reconstructor soak in for a few minutes, I'll add the slippy condish to the length.

My hair is too short for alladat still. So I'll just put the slippy/moisture one on top of reconstructor when I'm short on time.

I mix my conditioner + additions in a bowl before applying.

Me too. Sometimes I warm up my oils and fold them in with the conditioner to make sure I dont have any oil pockets or anything. If im mixing conditioners that I want to use up, there's usually no method to madness. Just trying to get rid of it without tossing it in the trash

HanaKuroi (OP) I think it depends on your aim. I layer to save time so that I do not have to jump in and out of the shower eleventy million times. I layered (outlined below) and everything came out fine!

I'm a natural but when I was relaxed, I used to put AO condish on my dry hair first so DC would be my first step.

KinkyGenius Do you cleanse your hair first?

Step 1- 4 is outside the shower which is why I layer.
What I do:

1. Wet my hair - completely saturated
2. Slather in condish with slip - right now I'm loving L'oreals power moisture
3. light to medium finger detangle. My hair is damp now to start step 4
4. put in a "middle" condish, that has protein, to DC ie, AO GPB. Let that sit w/ or w/o cap for 30-40 min or longer depending on what I'm doing.
5. Rinse out Shampoo roots - I'm currently using the mudwash but I think the key is to not use a sulfate shampoo as it would undo your DC
6. Oil rinse
7. leave in and braid to airdry

hth

tuffCOOKiE
I usually layer conditioners for my prepoo, so it's done on "dirty" hair. I always prepoo with a light protein conditioner, then I'll either add a conditioner I'm trying to use up (#PJstruggles) or a slippery conditioner since I detangle before washing.

My final DC, which is always moisture-based, I use straight out of the container; no mixing or layering needed because it's just that dang good :lol:

KinkyGenius, that makes sense. I was wondering why you were layering but I see now that it's for slip and to "correct" some PJism :lol:

Can I ask what your slippery DC is?

Last edited:
@KinkyGenius, that makes sense. I was wondering why you were layering but I see now that it's for slip and to "correct" some PJism :lol:

Can I ask what your slippery DC is?

tuffCOOKiE
Girl yes, that PJism will have you putting 4 different conditioners in your head just to use them up and clear some space for more hair purchases :lol:.

The slippery conditioner I use for my prepoo is TRESemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth. It blows the popular Nourishing Moisture one completely out of the water, hands down. It is my HG slippery condish.

@KinkyGenius what DC are you using?

MileHighDiva
I am mad at myself for waiting so many years to try it but Hairveda Sitrinillah. It is simply heaven in a jar for me, no conditioner has ever left my hair so thoroughly moisturized and as a PJ let's just say I've tried a few. Before that one, I was using DB's Pumpkin Seed Condish but it just does not compare to that Hairveda.

@KinkyGenius I'm always scared to order that because of the potential smell. Does it smell orange like AIA Coconut Cowash or orange like a dreamsicle?

MileHighDiva
Definitely orange like a dreamsicle, but it's not overpowering at all. Idk if you even tried any of Claudie's products but her scents are offensively strong and they linger (she offers unscented as well), that's not the case with the Hairveda.

I ordered 3 jars of it during BF so I can send you a small sample of the Sitrinillah if you cover the shipping, just PM me if you're interested.

MileHighDiva
Definitely orange like a dreamsicle, but it's not overpowering at all. Idk if you even tried any of Claudie's products but her scents are offensively strong and they linger (she offers unscented as well), that's not the case with the Hairveda.

I ordered 3 jars of it during BF so I can send you a small sample of the Sitrinillah if you cover the shipping, just PM me if you're interested.

:yep::yep:
Loved the smell of this DC. Unfortunately, it took too much to cover my hair, and it did not moisturize as well as i would love. I used half a jar in one session.
I want to revisit it, only because i was having major porosity (high) at the time. Now that my hair accepts, and retains moisture better i wonder if it will work as well as others say it does. Decisions, decisions.

ronie

We normal to high porosity gals need protein in our moisturizing DCs to help our accept the moisture. Half a jar! :thud: Girl, that's 9 oz. in one use :nono: Does it spread well or have slip?

HanaKuroi

Sorry for high jacking your thread!

ronie

We normal to high porosity gals need protein in our moisturizing DCs to help our accept the moisture. Half a jar! :thud: Girl, that's 9 oz. in one use :nono: Does it spread well or have slip?

HanaKuroi

Sorry for high jacking your thread!

No slip that i can remember. Spreading was ok, but my hair kept drying up, so i kept adding more. Before i knew it, half of the jar was gone.
I get 3 to 4 solid uses out of my 8 oz jars of current staple DC's, and my hair is about 2-3 inches longer now.
I accidentally felt asleep with it on. After rinsing, my hair felt pretty soft, but after it airdried the moisture was gone. The softness could have been from the overnight effect.
Sorry OP.

Ladies :kisses: I do not get upset about stuff like this. I am taking notes. :)

I can't see any mentions on my IPhone. PM me if it is a must see. Allons y

tuffCOOKiE
Girl yes, that PJism will have you putting 4 different conditioners in your head just to use them up and clear some space for more hair purchases :lol:.

The slippery conditioner I use for my prepoo is TRESemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth. It blows the popular Nourishing Moisture one completely out of the water, hands down. It is my HG slippery condish.

I wish I could find the Vibrantly Smooth. I've searched everywhere. KinkyGenius

I do either depending on my mood.
When mixing: mix everything (conditioners, oils, honey) then apply
When layering: apply favorite product first, to make sure it gets in all the strands, put on a shower cap for about 30 minutes, then apply second product. Then back under shower cap. If they are leave in, i proceed to the sealing step at this point.
I tend to like layering better, but my method is too time consuming. Most of my current products work well alone anyways, so i only do this when i am bored, lol.

Back