Ladies with Fine/Thin Hair What Products Work For You?

divinefavor

I am very interested in knowing what products you all are using from shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins, moisturizers, oils, relaxers, etc. How often do you wash, deep condition and do protein treatments. Have you found that following a regimen has helped your fine hair in terms of volume, moisture, thickness and length?

I'm just curious because I have so many products in my closet. Every time I hear of a product here on the boards I want to run out and buy it. But, then I think, hmm some of the people here have thick hair, coarse hair, fine hair, relaxed hair, natural hair etc. Products that people with thick hair or natural uses may not work the same for me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Well right now I am on a mission to grow my hair back. I cut it off to about chin lenght 2 weeks ago. I have always had issue with my middle so this time I decided that I want to try something a little different when growing my hair out this time. I want to start doing weekly lite protein treamtment. I think that fine tresses need more protein that normal tresses to keep it strong.

The products that work for me are:

Elucence MB Shampoo
Elucence MB Conditioner (leave-in and deep conditioner)
Elucence Exteneded Moisture Repair Treatment (Lite Protein)
Elucence Silk Elixir

Keracare Hydrating Detangling Shampoo
Keracare Humecto

Design Essentials 6n1 (Lite protein)

Nexxus Emergencee (Heavy Protein)

My Honeychild Herbal Cocktail (with a creamy leave-in)

ORS Olive Oil Lotion

Phytorelaxer

divinefavor said:
I am very interested in knowing what products you all are using from shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins, moisturizers, oils, relaxers, etc. How often do you wash, deep condition and do protein treatments. Have you found that following a regimen has helped your fine hair in terms of volume, moisture, thickness and length?

I'm just curious because I have so many products in my closet. Every time I hear of a product here on the boards I want to run out and buy it. But, then I think, hmm some of the people here have thick hair, coarse hair, fine hair, relaxed hair, natural hair etc. Products that people with thick hair or natural uses may not work the same for me.

Good points because I used to run out and buy every product I heard about in the hair magazines. Pity these companies don't pay us to try their products because I should be rich by now.:cool:

Anyway, a member of my family has fine hair so I can tell you some of the hair produts she uses (the ones I have seen, this list is not exhaustive). However if I find out any other products she uses I'll post them:)

She uses Care free curl gold products to keep her hair moisturised after shampoo, they are also non-greasy.

When you buy hair products, look for products that won't weigh your hair down as they have the tendency to make the hair look thin and limp. Look for products that add body and volume to the hair.

shampoos - Nexxus Biotin shampoo, Creme of Nature shampoo for fine & limp hair, Tresemmé

conditioners - Soft and Beautiful moisturizing soufflé conditioner & Soft & Beautiful Hair Moisturizing complex conditioner, conditioning mousse (adds volume)

leave-ins - Elasta H-Two (from time to time), Care free curl gold hair and scalp spray (for dry curls & body waves, provides body and sheen, light & long lasting)

moisturizers - Care free curl gold instant activator with moisturizers (for natural or curly hair), Nexxus cysteine creme (I think that's what it's called - green tube)

oils - Jojoba (mostly) & carrot oil

relaxers - no relaxer, her hair is texturized because relaxer makes her hair look too thin. Texturizer gives soft waves and hair has body. Currently using S-curl, will change to Vitale next touch-up.

She shampoos and conditions hair once/twice a week.

I think the thing that helped her most with her hair was texturizing instead of relaxing, this has really helped in terms of hair volume and retaining length.:)

Last edited:
These products work for me

Shampoo
Lanza Protein Plus for fragile hair(for strength) old formula
Nexxus Vitress Biotin(strenth)
Elucence (moisture)
Breakthru (moisture)

Conditioners
Elucence (moisture)
Kenra (moisture)
UBH Conditioner
Nexxus L Cysteine Treatment (strength)
Nacidit Olive Oil or Advocado

Co washes
Suave Milk& Honey
Daily Defense Tender Apple
Pantene Full & Thick

Protein light Conditioner
ORS Hair Mayo
Crom Emergencia
Aubrey's GPB

Heavy Duty Protein
Dudley DRC 28-best ever tried and effective

Leave in
Lacio Lacio
Salerm 21
Nioxin Bliss(stength)

Moisturizers
UBH Moisturizer
ORS Olive Oil
Castor Oil
BBD Stretch Creme-smells yummy

Surge-detangling and strength
Nexxus Biotin Creme for hairline

Last edited:
I started using Sanniyah's Lemongrass Shampoo- It is great, It does not have SLS which causes your hair to have that dry feeling.

For Conditioner i use Queene Helene Cholesterol. I shampoo and then put this stuff in my hair and rinse it out. I also deep condition with this Queene every week. When I do Hot oil treatments, I use Sanniyah's Lemongrass Conditioning Hot oil Treatment.

For Leave in Conditoner I use SheaMoisture Leave in Condtioner- its main ingredient is Shea butter. I also Use Organics Leave In hair mayonnaise.

I know that grease is not that good but the grease that I have main ingredient is shea butter. It is called SheaMoisture SheaButter herbal Pomade. I use it for the scalp but after i use it all up, im going to switch to Sanniyah's Lemongrass Oil.

Since the left side of my hair is thinner than my right side, I use Organics Hair Therapy Fertilizer

For a daily moisturizer, specifically for the ends, I use organics Sheabutter.

I did my first phyto about 2 weeks ago with success, im sticking to that.

I wash my hair every week with deep conditioning. I do the Hot Oil Treatment when my newgrowth is getting out of hand. To dry my hair, I sit under the dryer until my hair is half way dry. Then I moisturize my scalp and hair. I use rollers if I want a curl, I will only use heat when my newgrowth kicks in.

To get the body in my hair, I roller wrap it. I am now staying away from holding sprays because the alcohol in them makes my hair dry. I use hair rollers because they hold curls better than a hair curler does.

By using this regimine my hair is becoming more healthly...I began my journey about a month ago but I am saying my official date about 2 weeks ago because i got a relaxer using phytorelaxer and I have not been using heat since. I hope that I will have great results this time next year.

I'll just echo some of the products mentioned here already:

Aubrey's GPB
Carefree Curl Gold Activator (excellent moisturizer for protective styles like buns/ponytails)
Pantene's Full and Thick Conditioner
Creme of Nature Moisturizing Shampoo
NTM shampoo/Daily conditioner/leave-in
Jojoba oil and shea butter
Keracare Humecto Conditioner
Nacidit Olive Oil and avocado conditioners (dominican)
Capilar Sole and Cinnamon Conditioner (dominican)
Joico Kpak (medium protein)

Shampoo:
ElastaQP Creme Conditioning (regular)
ElastaQP Bodifying (clarify)

Conditioner:
Suave Professionals Humectant

Protein treatment:
ElastaQP Breakage Control Serum followed by ElastaQP Mango Butter

Leave-in:
Motions Nourish

Moisturizer:
S-Curl No Drip

Oils:
Mixture of Hot 6 Oil, Motions Salon Herbals Oil Sheen, & EVOO (pre-poo)

Other products:
Citre Shine Gel
Silk Elements Glossing Polish

Check out my journal for more details on my regime.

Hope that helps! ;)

Shampoos- I rotate between AO honeysuckle rose moisturizing shampoo, Nexxus shampoo (moisturizing and hair thickening), Mane and Tail shampoo, Avalon Biotin hair thickening shampoo and Creme of Nature ultra moisturizing shampoo.

Conditioners-I rotate between AO honeysuckle rose moisturizing conditioner, GPB, Nexxus, Mane and Tail conditioner, Jason Naturals conditioner and Vo5 conditioners.

leave-ins- African Pride leave-in conditioner and tonic, Asha's silk rose elixir, Nexxus volumizing leave-in conditioner and AO leave-in conditioner & curl activator.

moisturizers: Scurl activator, Elasta qp mango butter, AO moisturizing jelly, Myhoneychild type 4 creme, Dudleys PCA, Myhoneychild caribbean activator, honey, Surge and Profectiv

Oils: Jojoba, castor, avocado, vitamin E,coconut oil, Alma herbal hair oil (pre-poo oil treatment) and Sulfer8, glovers and WGO mix.

Relaxers: Designer Touch mild texturizing relaxer and motions short hair texturizer.

I wash once a week. Deep condition once a week. I do protein treatments one week before texturizer and one week after texturizer. I also do pre-poo pil treatment once a week as well.

I try to use mostly hair products with natural ingredients and any hair products that promises to thicken my hair. (Surge, sulfer 8 mix, shapleys MTG). I also take a number of vitamins on a daily basis.

HTH:)

Back