Ladies who use 100% pure coconut oil

tyte curlz

I am thinking about getting some and i want to know how u guys i mean gals use it. as a pre wash, after conditioning, leave-in, on the scalp on the hair or the ends. Can some one let me know please?

I use it as a prepoo- apply a generous amount and then baggy for a while- sometimes with a warm towel wrapped around the baggy. I do like the results (seemingly softer hair) after I wash.

I finally prurchased some yesterday. I used it last night after I applied NTM silk touch as a sealant. My hair was noticeably softer afterwards and had a nice sheen to it. My hair still had lots of body (from rollerset day prior) and was not weighed down or greasy. I love it.

I do plan to use it as a prepoo next time I wash.

tyte curlz said:
I am thinking about getting some and i want to know how u guys i mean gals use it. as a pre wash, after conditioning, leave-in, on the scalp on the hair or the ends. Can some one let me know please?

all of the above...I just love that stuff

starfish79 said:
all of the above...I just love that stuff

Does it help with dry scalp? I just use it to help seal in moisture from my leave ins. It gives great shine! :)

I use it as a pre-poo, mix it in my conditioner, and use it to seal after my leave-in, and to just add softness and shine to dry hair. I love this stuff!!

tyte curlz said:

All of the above!!! It's a great multi-purpose oil. And I find it to be quite moisturizing...it gives my hair the best shine, especially when I wear breadouts or just have it down straight. It's one of my favorite oils, besides jojoba oil. The brands I use are Spectrum's Organic Coconut Oil and From Nature With Love's Virgin Coconut Cream. :)

I use it to seal in my moisturizer or on dry hair to add shine. It gives my hair a shine like nothing else. Coconut oil is my favorite oil ever.

I used it for the first time this week in my henna treatment and I'm planning on using it once a week, along with olive oil, castor oil, and jojoba oil, for a hot oil treatment.

Lately I've been adding it to my conditioner when I do conditioner washes. It works like a charm in terms of relieving dryness.

MizAvalon said:
Where are you ladies purchasing your coconut oil from?
Mostly from a health food store. However I lucked up on some at a GNC recently.

Last edited:
MizAvalon said:
Where are you ladies purchasing your coconut oil from?

I get mine (Parachute brand) at my local Indian grocery store. I have seen other brands in natural food stores, and Asian stores.

Lusa said:
I get mine (Parachute brand) at my local Indian grocery store. I have seen other brands in natural food stores, and Asian stores.

Thanks Lusa! I'll try my local health food store, they would probably have it.:)

I found mine in K-Mart. I use it for sealing. I also apply it to the areas my phony pony or wig attach to my hair. It is applied with a soft child-size toothbrush.

MizAvalon said:
Thanks Lusa! I'll try my local health food store, they would probably have it.:)

No problem. One more thing, depending on what brand you find don't be fooled by labels that may read "Extra Virgin Coconut Oil". It's a marketing ploy since the coconut oil industry does not have the same production or harvesting regulations like Olive Oil that would determine the labelling that goes on the bottle/jar.

On the other hand "Virgin Coconut Oil" what you are looking for because it is achieved by using fresh coconut meat. Chemicals and high heating are not used in further refining, since the natural, pure coconut oil is very stable with a shelf life of several years. :cool:

I grew up in PNG and the locals used 100% pure Coconut Oil for their hair and their body. The coconut oil they used was 100% pure, and it doesn't look or smell like the 100% coconut oil I've seen here in the States. I'm not saying that the oils here don't work, it's just that I hate when things are proclaimed to be what they're not.

I agree w/ everyone else. It's a good multi-purpose oil and excellent for sealing. It's also a wonderful addition to the prepoo. Just be careful not to add too much, it can be runny!!! I found that out the hard way.

natieya said:
Does it help with dry scalp? I just use it to help seal in moisture from my leave ins. It gives great shine! :)

I'll ask again since no one answered before: Does it alleviate dry scalp?:)

natieya said:
I'll ask again since no one answered before: Does it alleviate dry scalp?:)

Bumping for an answer.

I use it as a prepoo and afterpoo for a leave-in/sealant while the hair is still damp. It's my new favorite oil, has replaced my once beloved Amla (because the mineral has NO benefit to the hair). I don't have a dry scalp so I can't answer that part.

Back