Ladies who stretch out relaxers - PLEASE HELP!!!

alibi

hair bored
What do you do with your hair if it's not in a protective style like braids or a weave?

My cousin is 11 weeks post relaxer, and she needs style options. She's been wearing a weave, which was an easy style to maintain, but she's about to take it out and doesn't know what to do w/ her hair. She wants to give it a rest from the weave for a while, but wants to know what's best in the meantime (i.e. Dominican blowouts, just flat iron/wrap, etc.)

Soooooo what have been your best style options while stretching out a relaxer? And what are you all using to combat breakage and dryness at the roots? BTW she's 4a. Thanks in advance!
wink.gif

twistouts work
smile.gif

It's sort of a protective style because there is very little manipulation, you can keep it moisturized easily without ruining the style and her newgrowth will probably blend in with it.

I'm only on week 10, and I'm in a bun, but I'd definitely recommend cornrows. Oh, you did say no braids. Hmmm...I asked a similar question the other day, and a bun was the response I received second to cornrows. It still feels like a great deal of manipulation, but I do think it's less than any other style. For moisture, I just got a spray bottle, and put in my favorite oils and just a little distilled water, and I spray it a few times each day. HTH
smile.gif

When I came out of braids I bought some perm rods (the light pink ones at Sallys) and rolled my hair with them. I had a giant curly afro & it was really cute, I got a lot of compliments on it.

I keep my new growth super moisturized to combat dryness, I love to use ORS Carrot Oil or even my Profectiv Healthy Ends (who said it was only for ends?!
laugh.gif
) on my new growth to keep it soft. I break out the Sta Sof Fro when times get really tough.

Now I'm back in braids, and I think that is the best thing for me to do, because I am 3c/4a and the new growth comes in THICK so I can not wear my hair straight unless I use heat which isn't something I want to do... HTH

I came out of braids two weeks ago- I'm sporting a wig with my hair cornrowed underneath. I spray my surge mixture on twice a day and keep my wig on- My new growth was too much for me to even fanthom doing anything else with it- I try doing braid outs but my hair was breaking when it was time to undo the braid out-

I managed to get to week 14 without wearing my hair in a protective style. I now have cornrow extensions as I am aiming to re-touch at 18-20wks and I think for me this is the easiest way to extend. IMO the only options would be protective styles such as buns, cornrows, braids, braid-outs etc.

Thanks for all the responses ladies!!! I will pass them along to my cousin, who's so impressed with us that she's going to join the forum!
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
I'll be sure to introduce her when she does.
smile.gif

For me, braidouts worked and then I wore a braided style (not extensions) which really worked through my 14th week of stretching. The new growth blended in nicely.
Any style that isn't straight should be fine, like bantu knots and twistouts (which was mentioned).

Back