Ladies Who Relax and Color and who have healthy hair

czyfaith77

Ladies, could you please tell me what are you all doing to maintain healthy hair. How often do you touchup relaxers and color (I understand not simultaneously if you use a permanent dye), what type of relaxers are you using (I plan to remain with Silk Elements)? Basically, I want to know what are your routines. What have you learned from your experiences?

I think I am getting the hang of it (I was scurred because of times past but now I am actually loving it. I will just have to figure out the best time to relax. ) I condition regularly (condition washes, deep condition with a heating cap, and Infusium Moisturising Leave-in for color treated hair.). Oh, and when I do a major chemical treatment I use Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair and I follow up with a moisturising conditioner i.e Silk Elements Moisturising Conditioner (actually though it is a reconstructor I favor Aphogee Keratin Reconstructor, it makes my hair fairly soft and pliable. I like it better than Nexxus Humetress.) I found out in times past that color processing and quick curling ironing are not a nice match so therefore, I use my Caruso rollers which does a nice job. Occasionally I give my hair a break by wearing wigs that are the same color (more or less it is not for a break but, because I want to opt for a short hair due and a wig is fully workable).

Another quick question, is it better to relax first and wait or is it better to color first and then wait the time period in between the chemical services?

Word of wise that I did learn that the box does not tell you, when you are first coloring your hair, work the hair and save the roots for last. If you do the roots first,the color on the roots is actually processing longer while you are working it through the rest of the hair. Because it is staying on longer it cause the roots to be brighter or darker (depends on the color) than the rest of the hair. Also, the roots are going to dye faster than the rest of the hair due to body heat thus, saving the roots for last and keeping an eye on the color as it changes is best. I will do this next time. It took a few washes for the color of my roots to tone down some. I imagine this is also why some people experience breakage starting at the root. I learned this info. from a very well informed sales rep at my BS store that I ask for advice and by calling the company that makes the hair dye that I chose (the lady with the company was okay but you have to beware of them a little because they try to keep you within their product lines- She was trying to tell me what relaxer best worked with the hair dye and of course it was one of their-one that doesn't really work on my hair.)

I color my hair pretty often I must say and there are a couple of helpful things I have learned. Relax your hair first and then color later. I wait three weeks after I relax when I want to color. During those three weeks no heat and I wash and deep condition twice a week. I also do a protien treatment. Try searching for Tracys Bootcamp for colored girls. She has beautiful relaxed and colored hair and is one of our color gurus.

Another thing about coloring and you roots; Remember that your ends are more porous than your roots and they won't need as much processing time as your roots. Your ends will really soak up the color that is is why most coloring instructions tell you to start at your roots first.

I use Bigen (no peroxide/no amonia) so this is not really a problem for me..I can relax & color on the same day...but I only recommend Bigen if your hair is dark (mine is jet black)..I do plan on going lighter in the future so I would love to hear some replies.

I have relaxed colored hair and although I wont be dying my hair black anymore due to thr porosity of my hair (color doesnt stay) .. Alot of Deep conditioning/protien treatments as well as waiting 4 weeks between each process :)

I self relax and use Bigen. I can use it the same day or whenever. I lost all my hair when it was permanently colored first then relaxed 2 wks later. This was done by a professional:eek:

I now only color the new growth. Bigen color stays good looking for a long time so I don't have to worry about color damaging my hair:)

gymfreak336 said:
I color my hair pretty often I must say and there are a couple of helpful things I have learned. Relax your hair first and then color later. I wait three weeks after I relax when I want to color. During those three weeks no heat and I wash and deep condition twice a week. I also do a protien treatment. Try searching for Tracys Bootcamp for colored girls. She has beautiful relaxed and colored hair and is one of our color gurus.

Another thing about coloring and you roots; Remember that your ends are more porous than your roots and they won't need as much processing time as your roots. Your ends will really soak up the color that is is why most coloring instructions tell you to start at your roots first.

Thanks so much Gymfreak. Also, keep a lookout for our NC meeting I have to post to find out when folk want to meet. We will meet in Sept. We usually meet in September.

sherylin123 said:
I use Bigen (no peroxide/no amonia) so this is not really a problem for me..I can relax & color on the same day...but I only recommend Bigen if your hair is dark (mine is jet black)..I do plan on going lighter in the future so I would love to hear some replies.

Thank you for your info. I will use this for my friend for I dye her hair for her and she favors black. Me on the other hand prefer honey tones. Right now my hair is like a cinnamon with some gold lights. Not exactly what I want but I learning to perfect my dying and relaxing technique without damaging my hair. I will persist until I get it just right. ;)

KhandiB said:
I have relaxed colored hair and although I wont be dying my hair black anymore due to thr porosity of my hair (color doesnt stay) .. Alot of Deep conditioning/protien treatments as well as waiting 4 weeks between each process :)

Thanks Khandi. Very helpful. Cute little boy. Are you home or is it a day care? I own and operate a day care.

tenderheaded said:
I self relax and use Bigen. I can use it the same day or whenever. I lost all my hair when it was permanently colored first then relaxed 2 wks later. This was done by a professional:eek:

I now only color the new growth. Bigen color stays good looking for a long time so I don't have to worry about color damaging my hair:)

Does Bigen have anything in a lighter color?

I relax and use henna because it both colors and conditions the hair. I henna both the roots and entire hair everytime 'cause I want the strengthening benefits as well as color. I relax every 12 weeks and henna once a month.

When this color grows out, I will be sticking to my natural black hair for a while. If I ever put in another color, I will use semi-permanent. Permanent color treated hair + relaxed hair takes more time and care and extra treatment than just relaxed hair. You have to be sure to keep your hair moisturized and strong. Deep conditioning and protein treatments will become your best friends.

TSUprincess04 said:
When this color grows out, I will be sticking to my natural black hair for a while. If I ever put in another color, I will use semi-permanent. Permanent color treated hair + relaxed hair takes more time and care and extra treatment than just relaxed hair. You have to be sure to keep your hair moisturized and strong. Deep conditioning and protein treatments will become your best friends.

ITA. That is why I opted to henna instead of using chemical dyes - I already have my hands full with relaxed hair and I don't want to do any more "damaging" processes to my hair . . . .

Back