Ladies who dye hair plum or burgundy, do you get a halo effect

donewit-it

I look a hot mess right now. I dyed my hair Plum using Texture and tones last night. (And this weekend.)

My roots are extremely light, and my hair shaft is darker. I can only see the color on the rest of the hair in the sunlight.

What can I do to correct it.

Mind you I originally dyed my hair Sunday using two bottles. I noticed that my roots were lighter and I went back and bought two more bottles to correct it, thinking I hadn't gotten all of my hair. Same results. I AIN'T putting anymore dye in my hair anytime soon. My hair is strong, but not that strong.

Help me

Last edited:
I just figured out what happened.

My natural color is not jet black. More so dark brown.

The light roots are how much my hair has grown since I dyed it. Silken black a few months ago.

Okay....But I still need suggestions on how to fix it.

Please help me

There is really not much you can do if you're not planning on dyeing it again. The choices would be to do a corrective color on the roots with the same one you used before, except add a few capfuls of black to the mix.

Or color the whole head a darker color, applying it to the roots first.

I don't usually like box color because they tend to be unpredictable and it's kinda hard to correct them.

Plus most of them usually contain at least 20 volume peroxide. By using a professional color like Miss Clairol you can use a weaker strength like 10 volume.

By doing this it will deposit color only, and not lift and more color from the hair. This will lessen your chances of damage. Good luck, HTH.

I just came back to add, the reason your roots also came out lighter was not only because of the darker color that had grown out. If you applied it there first your body heat made it process faster.

When using a dye that lifts I suggest applying it to the roots last. By going in a second time doing the same thing again would only not help or worsen the problem.

Last edited:
Meant without sass,

When you look at my roots, what do you think? Go head I can take it.:grin:

I was just loooking at them in the mirror. Could it be flyaway hair (My baby hurr).

When I get home, I'm going to try applying gel, to lay them down. Maybe it will disguise the color.

I really don't want to dye it again. I was even looking at a color corrector or remover (I've never used one).

Thank you so much for your help, but your first comment went over my head. I am a box girl LOL:grin:

Meant without sass,

When you look at my roots, what do you think? Go head I can take it.:grin:

I was just loooking at them in the mirror. Could it be flyaway hair (My baby hurr).

When I get home, I'm going to try applying gel, to lay them down. Maybe it will disguise the color.

I really don't want to dye it again. I was even looking at a color corrector or remover (I've never used one).

Thank you so much for your help, but your first comment went over my head. I am a box girl LOL:grin:

:lachen:No sass taken, I really can't tell looking at it in a pic. I'm wondering what it looks like out in the sun.

Just know that the color remover in most cases will further lighten the hair even when mixed with water. I know this from experience.

Also depending on how you use it, could make matters worse. Don't believe the hype about it bringing your hair back to it's natural color.:nono:

Once the plum and black dye are lifted off you could be left with a color that's totally unflattering. And you would still have to dye it again.

In the salon these are usually used before doing a corrective color, but rarely left as is.

If you can't live with your roots and don't want to recolor again I would advise growing it out while wearing a headband. At least till you feel it's safe to color again.

I would use the color remover as a very last resort.

Yeah, I did some further research on the color corrector:nono:

I just put some castor oil on my edges thinking they were gonna lay down, but my hair is too fine around the edges that they remained the same.

I'm just gonnat leave it alone until I feel comfortable dyeing it again.

Actually I received a gift certificate to get a natural hair wash and style and I'm trying to get an appointment for this weekend. Maybe they can do something to it.:perplexed

And I know, no cutting.

Thanks for your help.

The pictures are pretty clear, so if you can't tell, maybe it doesn't look that bad.

I asked a co-worker at work and he said he hadn't even noticed.

My sister will tell me the truth. Let me send her a picture mail.

Thanks again.

I sent the picture to my sister and asked her if it looked a mess and its uneven.

She replied. Yes, have Michael Bianc work it out:perplexed

I will be making an appointment asap

Hi DWI - before applying color to my hair - I always apply Neutral Protein Filler - I let it sit for about 20 minutes (no rinsing) and then apply the color over it...I found that the color goes on so much better and evenly....

I used Clairols T&T Blazin Burgundy today and I didnt get quite the color I wanted but Im going to throw a semi perm on top to make it a little darker. I lost track of time and kept it on a little longer than I wanted but its not to bad.

Back