ladies that wear full wigs

Evolving78

how do you protect your hair and hairline under the wig? do you use stocking caps, silk caps, liners? i'm scared that i will dry my hair out or rub out my hairline wearing wigs.

I moisturize and wrap my hair ten put it into a wig cap. I worry about thinning in the area of the wig too so I make sure not to wear it too tight (if neccessary I wear a scarf or headband to keep it in place. A stocking cap will also work. I think a silk scarf would make it too slippery and easy to come off even if worn under a wig cap. Some other ladies might have an idea though.

I moisturize as well, but I also apply castor oil to my hair line before I apply my wig cap.

I just wear the regular stocking cap-type wig cap

so is it best to just moisturize the hair really well first the put on a stocking cap? are stocking caps gentle? see i have worn wigs before, but at the time i wasn't think about the state and health of my hair and hairline.

I've been wearing wigs for years and do not wear a wig cap. They are drying. I've never had a problem with my edges coming out.

I have been using wigs as a protective style since July 08, so I can avoid heat and Co-wash 3 x/week. I wear a wig cap time to time, baggy my ponitail, my entire head or not wearing any cap at all as long as I keep my hair well moisturized and sealed. But when I come home or during the weekend I don't wear it, the wig is off.
So far so good no thinning edges or drying out hair. Love it.

Last edited:
2003/2004-ish I was using wigs as protective styles & I was anal about damage to my hair. I would wrap my hair & then wrap a piece of silk around my edges. I would then manuever a wig cap over the silk, making sure that it was still in place & protecting my edges. I never had a problem with thinning - it just took me a minute to get the cap exactly right over the silk but it was def worth the added protection.

Back