Ladies, please list regimens, product reviews and tips for starting locs

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
Last Tuesday I did double strand twists for my mom after she washed her hair, and I greased her scalp with Softee Coconut Oil Conditioner. She liked the twists so much that she wants locs in time for her birthday in December.

I twisted her roots with a little Better Locks Lock and Hold Gel last night. She also has the Better Locks Lite Almond Conditioning Oil. So far she's been wearing a satin bonnet every night and a hair net under her winter hats.

Her hair type is 3c. I had to cut her hair last week because she had stringy ends. My mom used to rip a wide tooth comb through the length of her hair, throw the broken hairs in the garbage, twist her hair into a bun and secure it with a push comb. :nono:

Her hair length now stretches to her shoulders. She needs a simple regimen. I attached a pic of her natural hair taken last November. Do you think it will be locked by December?

Since I'm her newly appointed loctician, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :grin:

Attachments

• MomsNaturalHair.jpg
    MomsNaturalHair.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 28
Well first off, congrats to your mom on deciding to loc! That's a big step to take but once she begins the journey she'll love the results. With locs it may take her 6-8 months for her hair to fully loc. Starting with twists is a great idea, just retwist every 6 weeks or so, try not to manipulate the twists themselves. As for washing do so on a biweekly basis~she can use a stocking cap method to wash her hair (this will not manipulate the twists), try not to use creamy conditioners because they cause build-up on the dreds making them look dull. Instead opt for hot oil treatments, she can use braid sprays for moisture. The loc and twist butter you use should be just fine. I would recommend that she spray with braidspray every day or every other day, don't manipulate too much and twist every 6 weeks or so; if the dreds feels dry then make sure that she baggies her entire head overnight (they will be so soft the next morning). That seems pretty simple to me, when she goes to bed, tie up with a satin scarf or bonnet.

Thanks for those tips Alli77. I'm going to search the forum for the stocking cap method.

I'm think of getting her the ORS Uplifting Shampoo and most of their natural products:
  • Herbal Cleanse (for dry shampoos)
  • Nature's Shine (after she finishes the Better Locks Lite Almond Oil)
  • Anti-Itch Scalp Oil
  • Lock & Twist Gel (after the Better Locks Gel is finished)
I'm not going to get the shea butter lotion because I read on another site that shea butter and waxes cause buildup. I think it's better for my mom to stick to one product line. The PJ style would drive her nuts. :lol:

How did I miss this thread! Y'all are talking my language over here! ...:D

Congrats to your mom on her decision to loc. For me, it's been the best hair decision that I've ever made. My hair is healthy, thriving, and growing.

Keeping it simple is the best advice I can give. When it comes down to it, you really have only three goals: 1) Keep it clean; 2) Keep it moisturized; 3) Maintenance the roots (to keep the roots from meshing and to maintain a cultivated look). Products should be kept simple also and I've found that natural is best. I never had much luck with the ORS line. For some reason I kept having allergic reactions to the products. For the few times though that I use commercial products I've found that the Jamaican Mango and Lime line is second to none.

I agree with Alli that she should probably stay away from creamy conditioners right now. Believe it or not, the BEST conditioner that I've found for my locs is diluted organic apple cider vinegar. It strengthens, adds sheen and shine, keeps my scalp from flaking, and doesn't encourage the twists/locs to unravel. The "recipe" that I've been using of late is in a color applicator bottle mix:

1 part Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar to 5 parts water
A squirt of aloe vera gel
A squirt of your favorite oil

Shake well and apply after shampooing. Let sit for 2 to 3 minutes, then rinse thoroughly.

In addition, to keep the fuzzies at a minimum and protect the hair from lint deposits, she should cover her hair at night. I use a loc soc (found one at Family Dollar for $3). A satin bonnet or satin scarf will work just as well.

Enjoy and watch her hair grow!

Keep us posted on your mom's progress. Pics would also be nice. I love good loc stories! ... :cool:

Wow Justice, my mom needs to see your album ASAP! Your locs are wonderful. I like the way you outlined your monthly progress too. My mom will be able to see the different stages. It's only been a week and a half, and she's already antsy about her hair locking...geesh!

Thanks for the ORS review. I think I've seen the Jamaican Mango and Lime line in a few stores. I told my mom about ACV rinses for locs after reading about it on another site yesterday, and she said she knew about that but she didn't know the proportions. Now I do. Thanks. :)

I need to review your album again and take notes before going to the bss. You have lots of good info.

I'll also take pics of her twists and post them this weekend.

Thanks, victorious! The really great thing that I've found with my locs is that once you get through the initial stages you get a growth spurt that is unbelievable! I need to update my album as I'm now at approximately 15 months. I can't believe the length.

Fire away with any questions that you may have as your mom progresses along in her journey. I researched locs extensively before I started mine and I keep up with everything that goes on on the hair boards in regards to locs, so I usually have some kind of clue about what's going on with loc issues. Loc maintenance is one of my favorite discussion topics.

Talk to you soon! ... :)

Hey, could you guys give me some info on starting dreds with relaxed hair and coloring locs? I was going to get dred extensions for awhile then color it and start locing it but I really need more info on the entire process. Any links or info would be much appreciated.

Hey metalkitty! Long story short, relaxed hair and locs don't mix ...:( ... Sorry to have to break the news to you. The reason is that you need your hair to mesh, matt, and tangle in order for it to loc effectively. When the hair is relaxed, all of the "curl bonds" in the cuticle (Alli could probably explain this better than me) are broken and it's just too straight. The only starter method that you can use to loc relaxed hair is Sisterlocks (www.sisterlocks.com) which is a rather expensive process and requires the services of a specially trained Sisterlocks consultant. Even then, at some point the relaxed hair will need to be trimmed off, and to start the process you're still going to need at least an inch or two of new growth.

If you're interested in other starter methods that you can use once you've allowed your perm to grow out some (and along with this once you've cut the permed hair), ask away and I can give you some info and provide some links. In the meantime, here's a great site that gives a good overview of some starter and maintenance techniques: http://www.daezhavoo.com/howtolocyourhair.html

P.S. On another thought, Bradelocz might be a less expensive option than Sisterlocks for you while you still have permed hair (http://www.bradelocz.com/), and the permed ends will still have to be trimmed away as the hair grows as this part of the hair will never loc.

Hope this helps!

Edited one more time to add: I have read of folks who either got loc extensions or "yarn locs" added over the permed hair and then just maintenanced the new growth as if they were locking it until their own hair got long enough by their personal taste to cut off the processed ends. Lots of them had a smooth transition by doing it this way. Let me know if you want to talk about this method a little further.

Last edited:
Justice4alw said:
Hey metalkitty! Long story short, relaxed hair and locs don't mix ...:( ... Sorry to have to break the news to you. The reason is that you need your hair to mesh, matt, and tangle in order for it to loc effectively. When the hair is relaxed, all of the "curl bonds" in the cuticle (Alli could probably explain this better than me) are broken and it's just too straight. The only starter method that you can use to loc relaxed hair is Sisterlocks (www.sisterlocks.com) which is a rather expensive process and requires the services of a specially trained Sisterlocks consultant. Even then, at some point the relaxed hair will need to be trimmed off, and to start the process you're still going to need at least an inch or two of new growth.

If you're interested in other starter methods that you can use once you've allowed your perm to grow out some (and along with this once you've cut the permed hair), ask away and I can give you some info and provide some links. In the meantime, here's a great site that gives a good overview of some starter and maintenance techniques: http://www.daezhavoo.com/howtolocyourhair.html

P.S. On another thought, Bradelocz might be a less expensive option than Sisterlocks for you while you still have permed hair (http://www.bradelocz.com/), and the permed ends will still have to be trimmed away as the hair grows as this part of the hair will never loc.

Hope this helps!

Edited one more time to add: I have read of folks who either got loc extensions or "yarn locs" added over the permed hair and then just maintenanced the new growth as if they were locking it until their own hair got long enough by their personal taste to cut off the processed ends. Lots of them had a smooth transition by doing it this way. Let me know if you want to talk about this method a little further.

You're so much help! Could you elaberate about loc exstensions though. I'm a bit afraid of having shorter hair, there's a way of getting dread extensions locing or latching the new growth until its shoulder length and I could cut off the relaxed part? I hope I explained that clearly enough. I was also wondering what the best and gentlest way to have color locs was?

Last edited:
Here are the pics of my mom's twists:

Attachments

• Mom's Twists - Back.jpg
    Mom's Twists - Back.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 11
  • Mom's Twists - Left.jpg
    Mom's Twists - Left.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 11
  • Mom's Twists - Right.jpg
    Mom's Twists - Right.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 8
I do a variation on Carolyn Gray's 6-week regimen, where you use a different type of conditioner each week (protein one week, hot oil the next, reconstructor yet another week); but I substitute products I have come to love, like Elucence shampoo/conditioner instead of the Motions products she uses (she does recommend other products in her new book). I do have an extensive vitamin regiment but I have slacked off on it at times. I keep my hair conditioned and pulled back on most days, maybe style my hair w/flat iron 1-2 times per month, if that. Color my gray ONLY once/month with semi-permanent, And I steer clear of relaxers b/c they haven't been kind to my poor fragile hair in the past. I think my hair is bra-strap by now (3/2006).

metalkitty said:
You're so much help! Could you elaberate about loc exstensions though. I'm a bit afraid of having shorter hair, there's a way of getting dread extensions locing or latching the new growth until its shoulder length and I could cut off the relaxed part? I hope I explained that clearly enough. I was also wondering what the best and gentlest way to have color locs was?

Hey again, metalkitty! I'll be back to answer your question about the dred extensions.

Back