Ladies Living in Cold Climates...brrrrrrr

• Thread starter Thread starter ballet_bun
  • Start date Start date
B

ballet_bun

What are you doing this winter for your hair, so that it's not as stiff as an icesicle and as dry as a leaf
antlers.gif
? Any new or special products or procedures that keeps your hair looking beautiful ... in spite of the arctic like weather?

I know there was a post about winter haircare somewhere ... I think. I searched for it, but could not find it.

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

It's -34C today but sunny. (Always look for the positive.)
I cover my bun with a scarf, and/or wear a hat. I also add extra leave-in & EVOO after each wash (every other day) hoping it will help.

Rachel ...thanks for responding. I used to wear a scarf over my bun years ago ... I forgot that was an option too. It's been so long. Good idea!

Don't get me wrong ... I'm a snowbunny. I love the snow. I walked to the library a couple of weekends ago, during a little snowstorm here just for fun and enjoyed it. I just like hearing how others take care of their hair in such colder climates.

That day was a good excuse to cover my hair with a cute new hat I bought ... really cute. I love winter assescories
smile.gif

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

I keep my hair moisturized, especially my ends. I put a satin cap on under my wool hat. I wear a silk scar around my neck so that my hair won't touch my wool coat or sweaters. I wash and deep condition my hair weekly.

I'm in Pennsylvania, and it has been pretty cold here this winter. Whenever I go out, I wear my satin bonnet under my snow cap. I haven't had a problem with dry hair since I have been doing this. :-)

I wear my hair in the same styles as in the summertime and I use the same products too. The only thing that's different is that I don't wash as often. In the summertime I wash every other day but right now I wash once or twice a week.

Hey BB,

What has been working for me is frequent washing/co-washing and oils. I haven't applied heat in a while, I usally pull it back in a ponytail, oil it and tie it down with a scarf. I keep it in a claw clip with the ends tucked under. I'm bored but it looks really good.

I've been keeping my hair covered as much as possible indoors and out. My new best friends are Surge Revitalizer, S-Curl and olive oil. Combined, these moisturizers have kept my hair soft when it is exposed. So far, soooo good!

Lately, the temperature has been mostly between 0 degrees and 32 degrees F.

It's like the arctic where I live. I've just been keeping my hair in fat cornrows with a wig cap over them & wearing my collection of snoods. I still do conditioner washes every other day, though, with VO5 Fresh Vanilla Bean.

I just went out and purchased a humidifier because this month Black Hair stated we should add a humidifier to our home to replace lost moisture. I had no choice because every morning my face is so flaky and dry and my lips are chapped so I started wondering what the dry hair was doing to my hair. I also purchased a shower filter as well. I also wear falls which are called 3/4 wigs to protect my hair from the cold air. I just bought some baggies and will try to start doing that. I also bought some VO5 kiwi/lime conditioner to start doing CO washes.

Daily co washes seem to be doing the job for me. I live in Colorado it has not been to cold lately so I will know better when we have our next cold snap.

Well I live in Northeast Jerzee and lately its been freezing. I still wear my hair straight and out without a problem at all. I condition weekly with the Salerm wheat germ mask and this week I did a conditioner wash in the middle of the week with 10 en 1. Ive been going to the gym frequently so my hair loved that. Other than that on a daily basis I moisturize my hair with a Serum, Yes a Serum. Proclaim glossing polish, it contains oils like jojoba & sweet almond and many more. So at night when I wrap my hair, before I add the scarf I add the polish and brush over the top once more. I dont wear hats because after wearing one, one day I saw a couple strands in it n then I was like ummm ...maybe not!

I've decided that next week Im gonna get a wig to wear until March or April. Right now, I'm doing co washes at night with Herbal Essences Conditioning Balm, Suave Coconut, or VO5 Blueberries. After my co wash is done, I may apply grease, mango butter, or activator on my damp hair. After airdrying i put my silk bonnet on and go to sleep. In the morning I spray my hair with water to get it slightly damp and spray activator. My hair ends up being dry after the day is gone cuz i dont wear hats. When I wear hats my twa gets smushed so thats why i opt not to wear them. However when I get my wig, I plan to continue my routine except with the wig my har wont be exposed to the cold air.

No more morning conditioner washes for me.My hair froze this morning in the 10 min walk to school.It was very scary.It was completely frozen solid.The hair out the pony felt like a piece of wood literally.I was so scared I didn't really touch it for fear of breaking off my entire ponytail

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
No more morning conditioner washes for me.My hair froze this morning in the 10 min walk to school.It was very scary.It was completely frozen solid.The hair out the pony felt like a piece of wood literally.I was so scared I didn't really touch it for fear of breaking off my entire ponytail

[/ QUOTE ]
this is why i changed my routine to night time
smile.gif
. In the summer it'll be back to morning co washes

It's <font color="red"> 2 degrees </font> right now in NY!
I wear a satin doo rag under may hat evry day. I conditioner wash 2 times a weeek and use a shea butter leave in mixed with S-curl. My hair is doing GREAT so far.

I keep my hair under a satin cap, or a stylish silk scarf and /or a hat out doors and in school, and since Im in school all day these days, I am not pressed to have any particular look. So it just stays in a completely moisturized bun under all that stuff. I dont think anyone has even seen my hair since it started getting really cold.

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

Were you using any coconut oil?

[ QUOTE ]
soulchild said:
[ QUOTE ]
katie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

Were you using any coconut oil?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.I wasn't.Why do you ask?Does it prevent your hair from freezing?

katie, I just thought you might be using coconut oil because it can get hard in your hair when it's cold even if you melt it down before using.

Just remember....usually you are not outside for long periods of time. When you come in from the cold you the oils will melt with the warm air from inside.

When it's cold outside, I gotta do the honey and olive oil hot oil treatments. They really help my hair nice and soft during this rough weather.

Also, using humidifiers indoors helps keeps the hair from drying out from all the dry indoor heat.

I have braided up for the winter, I did this last year and it worked great. I think this is the ultimate protective style.

Now that I know the importance of moisture I am S-curling every night. I remember how much my hair loves the S-curl when I wear my twist-out. I even put on a plastic cap for an hour each night so I'm sure it's penetrating.

I also use a humidifier. This helps my skin too.

The whether is so bad, my ends are starting to look as though they're crumbling.
laugh.gif
And I just got a mega trim!
shocked.gif

I may be putting braids in tonight, folks. My hair just can't take this weather, and the ponytail is boring me out.

It was 0 degrees last night in NJ and I was out in that hideous weather. I have been doing the baggie method and whore a hat with a silk lining. So far my hair has been holding up just fine. Can't wait until this cold front is gone, it is getting on my nerves.
perplexed.gif

Instead of wearing two-strand twists for one week at a time, I'm wearing them two-weeks at a time.
I condition and rinse them in the shower every evening (after my workout), instead of in the morning. And I use castor oil or coconut oil on the ends.
Of course when I go outside, I wear a silk scarf and a cashmere hat.

Well, since the high around here has be 11F, I will definately be wearing a protective style, but I will not leave the house with wet hair. But I must say, the hair on my neck, warms it up

Back