Ladies, is there a scientific reason why not relaxing...

LynnieB

causes shedding?

Has anyone ever found an "scientific" explanation for it?

Why does it happen?

Could the shedding just be normal loose NG hair tangling at the root and we have a tendency to try and "force" a comb or brush through it because we're not used to detangling unrelaxed hair (long sorry)?

Do you think that our follicles suffer from withdrawal symptoms (not trying to be funny)?

Could it be that we have to work a comb/brush through a bit more that it's just removing hair that was already ready to shed.

just finished washing/deep condishing - i'm not shedding any more hair than usual but had this thought while layering on that aubrey's :grin:

just curious about what your girls thought.

Hi LynnieB,

Do you mean in stretching out your relaxer touch-ups? If so you probably are getting breakage at the line of demarcation where your newgrowth ends and the relaxed hair begins. That particular area on the hair is very delicate and can break easily. Since these will tend to be of your longer hairs, it can look like shedding but it will actually be breakage.

If you can feel a bulb on the end of the hair it is shedding. Test your strands that you lose to be sure. If it is shedding you willl need to determine why, and is it normal cycles of shedding, or is it problematic.

If it is only breakage then you can stop it with care. A lot of the moisturizing info you see relaxed heads talking about is in reference to either preventing splits or preventing breakage at the demarcation line. The protective styles, gentle handling, moisturizers, sprays like scurl, all are geared to softening up your new growth so that the breakage does not occur.

HTH :)
Softresses

Last edited:
I have the same problem. I have always wondered about this. The closer I get to touch up time, the more I shed. I'm pretty sure mine is shed hairs. This is one of the reasons I don't like to go beyond 9 or 10 weeks. Once I get a relaxer, I hardly shed at all.

I think the difference in rates is based on shed hairs you SEE vs.shedhairs you DON'T.
If your hairis bone-straight, and a hair is shed while you are sitting at your desk at work, it's going to fall right out, land on your shoulder/back ofyour shirt/back of your chair/ and the next time you move, it's going to fall right on the floor.

If you have 6 weeks of NG, though, and a hair sheds, it's not going to go ANYWHERE until you comb it, and then you are going to see all of these shed hairs 'suddenly' appear - apparently a result of stretching, but really because they can't just 'blow away' anymore.

If you can confirm that your higher shedding rate is REALLY shedding, and not breakage like Softresses said, then it's most likely just the fact that you aren't SEEING the hairs that are shed.

*grins* if you work at a desk, see if you can put a big piece of white paper under your chair after a touchup - and at the end of the day, check out how many hairs are just laying down there - you might be suprised.

i have very minimal breakage but shed (bulbs) about 25-30 hairs a day...

i really was contemplating this shedding phenomona........especially since so many talk about it, maybe it's all normal :confused:

LynnieB said:
i have very minimal breakage but shed (bulbs) about 25-30 hairs a day...

i really was contemplating this shedding phenomona........especially since so many talk about it, maybe it's all normal :confused:

lol it may be normal and your just P A R A N O I D!!! :eek:

Lynnie B, I have the exact same problem and I just got finished washing my hair. There was so much shed hair. I could tell it was definitely shedding because it was curly at the root and the curly part was the same as my new growth. I have been stretching for 14 or 15 weeks now and the more I stretch the more shedding I see. I don't understand it either.

It is supposed to be normal for humans to shed up to 100 hairs a day. You may want to start to compare how much you normally shed each day for a while to notice your personal pattern. You will then know better what your shedding cycles are.

For example, I shed more in the spring than at any other time. I also shed a lot in the early fall, and I have growth spurts throughout the winter.

Keep in mind that the longer your hair gets, the shedding will look like more, even if it is the usual amount because the hairs are longer.

HTH

Softresses

ladies thanks.

definitely not referring to breakage - there's a huge difference between broken hairs and those that fall out from the root.

i know in my case i've always been a sheddy/hairy person but there are so many posts about it especially around touch-up times and from those that stretch about the shedding.

is there a real correlation between the two?

going a few rounds with alopecia really makes me more concious of it.

hehe.....just thinking out loud ladies.

nappywomyn said:
I think the difference in rates is based on shed hairs you SEE vs.shedhairs you DON'T.
If your hairis bone-straight, and a hair is shed while you are sitting at your desk at work, it's going to fall right out, land on your shoulder/back ofyour shirt/back of your chair/ and the next time you move, it's going to fall right on the floor.

If you have 6 weeks of NG, though, and a hair sheds, it's not going to go ANYWHERE until you comb it, and then you are going to see all of these shed hairs 'suddenly' appear - apparently a result of stretching, but really because they can't just 'blow away' anymore.

If you can confirm that your higher shedding rate is REALLY shedding, and not breakage like Softresses said, then it's most likely just the fact that you aren't SEEING the hairs that are shed.

*grins* if you work at a desk, see if you can put a big piece of white paper under your chair after a touchup - and at the end of the day, check out how many hairs are just laying down there - you might be suprised.

Ditto!

Also two hair like this : _____________
Looks way less than two hairs like this :~~~~~__________

Th newgrowth actually causes the shedded hair to look a lot thicker when together.

Back