Ladies.... Im over it!!!

Sanndy

Okay Ive been without a perm for almost 4 years. Im sooo over with fighting with my hair :wallbash:after every wash/condtiontion my scalp is always sore several days afterwards. It is such a process ughhhh!

Im ready to perm my hair on top of it being more managable id love to run my fingers through it like the good old days:grin:

Can anyone recommend a good relaxer?

I know some of you are shaking your heads back and forth (secretly saying DONT DO IT) but im at my WITS-END...

Im gonna suggest Affirm Fibergaurd Lye.

Whats your hair type. Also, how are you planning to relax? (ie. texlax, bonelax)

Hi Sandy,

I don't have know the answer to the best relaxer but I think if you gave it a 4 year shot and its not working out for YOU, then seek another option. Please remember you have to live with any of your decisions, don't allow any outside pressures to influence your decision.

I'm sure the Ladies here on the LHCF will provide you with the best relaxer options!!!

Hi Sandy,

I don't have know the answer to the best relaxer but I think if you gave it a 4 year shot and its not working out for YOU, then seek another option. Please remember you have to live with any of your decisions, don't allow any outside pressures to influence your decision.

I'm sure the Ladies here on the LHCF will provide you with the best relaxer options!!!
Hot Chocolate, is that you in the pic? You don't have a relaxer? What am I saying, I flat iron, but I was just curious.

Whats your hair type. Also, how are you planning to relax? (ie. texlax, bonelax)
Thanks Thann,

Texture? RAW WOOL- that would be mine:grin: So Im def planning on doing a Bonelax

Try Phytospecifics (sp?) It's a great relaxer and not as harsh on the hair. Plus they use a lot of natural products in their relaxers. I think you should be able to do a search and find more info.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the best relaxer.... I like silk elements...... I just suggest a lye relaxer instead of no lye. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will turn out beautiful.

Last edited:
Silk elements may be better for your hair type than mine it is a good relaxer but it was too strong for what I wanted to achieve. I have fine hair, but I do reccommend SE regular lye.

Of all the relaxers I have used, I always liked Phyto the best, but it is no longer within my budget. I like Mizani and that is what I use now.

Best of luck!!

I agree with everyone about phytospecific. I went fully natural for about a year and just didn't like it at all. I use only phyto (mild formula) and it has been the best. My hair is never overprocessed so when I wash n go, I have loose curls and when I rollerset, it is bone straight with lots of body and thickness.

I tried the Phyto for the first time about 8 weeks ago and it's the best relaxer I have ever used! Expensive but definitely worth it :)

My hair in the pic was BEFORE the Phyto btw as it was a mess before I used it so don't let that put u off!!

I'm not sure about the best relaxer.... I like silk elements...... I just suggest a lye relaxer instead of no lye. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it will turn out beautiful.
I agree with going for a lye relaxer. I had success with Motions Oil Moisturizer relaxers, but I'm sure currently relaxed ladies could give you a better idea of what brand to go for. Sorry to hear being natural wasn't for you, but good luck on the rest of your hair journey.

Hot Chocolate, is that you in the pic? You don't have a relaxer? What am I saying, I flat iron, but I was just curious.

Luckiestdestiny, I wish that was me in that pic. That is destiny with any luck... I'm just beginning my hair journey and do not feel I'm in a position to advise anyone on what's the best relaxer. I have not relaxed since May and will not until consider it again until May 09.

I however identify with doing anything for a period of time and desperately wanting change.

I'm not going to suggest a relaxer because I don't have one. Instead, I'm curious to know why your scalp is so sore days after washing and conditioning it? I have never had that problem. Maybe there's something else going on besides having hair you find to be unmanageable? How do you currently take care of it?

I'm not going to suggest a relaxer because I don't have one. Instead, I'm curious to know why your scalp is so sore days after washing and conditioning it? I have never had that problem. Maybe there's something else going on besides having hair you find to be unmanageable? How do you currently take care of it?
Hello my Naija sis,
My hair is a lil past shoulder length but its so course. I give my hair a break by wearing lacewigs. I cowash with my braids in every other week and I take my braids down every 5-6wks. Its only when I wash my hair with braids-out is when i go though the self torture.

i never had a problem with having soreness in my scalp until i transitioned. Its the worst!!

IF I ever decide to wear my hair straight I will press. so that is my advice. Get a press. I hated dealing with the line of demarcation crap. Careful careful don't want hair to snap where the relaxer meets the naps.

You could even flat iron your own hair in between shop visits. And since you no longer care for the naps you can train your hair straight. It just takes a couple hard presses.

I left the chemicals for a reason...Beyond wanting naps. I don't ever plan to go back. This was written on my voyager.

Hey there, Sanndy :)

I haven't had a perm in 13 years, but I want to let you know that I understand your plight. About 3 years ago I was so frustrated with the care of my natural hair that I did a BC on natural hair! :lachen: I remember I was about to take out my micros and I literally stretched each braid and just cut it out at the base. I through some jell in it and went to a cookout looking fierce. I was just tired of all that hair and washing was a pain for both me and every hair dresser that came in contact with my hair. Since then my hair has grown to the middle of my shoulder blades. I was getting to that point again and I actually found this board looking for the best way to care for my hair once I relaxed because I just felt that enough was enough. Oil rinses and the hope that I can successfully roller set my fine 4a strands has given me new hope for my natural tresses. My hair has become so much more manageable since the knowledge I've gained here so I'm finding a new love and respect for my natural tresses. I think I'll keep 'em, but I'm still open to the possibilities of healthy relaxed hair should I chose so down the road.

That being said, with all of my research, I would go with a lye relaxer if I were going to go through with it. ORS Lye regular, Mizani and Silk Elements Lye all seem to be really popular with those that use them. And the hair of the women that sport them seem to be nice. I also went back and forth on whether I was going to do it myself or go to a professional. I think I'd decided that I would go t a professional but let a dominican salon do it. For some reason, I'd felt that they would be more likely to leave the necessary texture in my hair to have bouncy shiny relaxed hair instead of bone straight. Not bone, not texlaxed, but just right.

I wish you so much luck and joy with your healthy relaxed hair. I know you'll use all that you've learned here to have the hair that you desire.

Hello my Naija sis,
My hair is a lil past shoulder length but its so course. I give my hair a break by wearing lacewigs. I cowash with my braids in every other week and I take my braids down every 5-6wks. Its only when I wash my hair with braids-out is when i go though the self torture.

i never had a problem with having soreness in my scalp until i transitioned. Its the worst!!

Hello Sandy :)

I'm sorry to hear that you're having so much soreness. In my humble opinion, it seems that your hair is not getting enough moisture, especially if it's just co-washes every other week. In my experience, co-washes do not substitute for deep conditioning particularly for a coarser texture (which is what I have; I'm a 4B). In the past, the reason my hair hurt whenever I cut it or manipulated it in any way was due to a lack of moisture. What other products are you using?

This is the only piece of advice I have to offer. I'm still learning how to take care of my hair, even after being on this forum for 3 years, because I didn't really get serious until recently. Better late than never! :)

Hi there,

I am getting my hair relaxed with this later this month. Do you mind me asking if you relax bone straight or telax? I had a texturized done back in October w/DE lo lye(this is just crap) and it is both under and over processed in areas:wallbash::wallbash:. Do you mind sharing what you like about the Affirm fiberguard lye with me?

tia,
tishee

Back