Ladies, I need a Ceramic Flat Iron Routine......

Quill

Hi y'all, I would like suggestions from everyone, but preferably those who have used heat in their hair regimen and have managed to retain length. I bought a ceramic flat iron 3 weeks ago, and I can see that I'm loving this thing too much, thus I need to exercise some disipline, less I go bald
shocked.gif
. BTW, this is the only heat I use in my hair, since I'm am an advocate of air drying.

I need to know:

-What is the average amount someone can safely flat iron per week?

-What's the best heat protectant you have found?

-And what special attention do you pay to your ends to keep them sealed?

Thankya
wink.gif

P.S. If anyone wants to post full routines, please feel free to do that too.

Hi Quill
Years ago when I was relaxed I used to air dry my hair then straighten it with a big jumbo curling iron. I had no damage from doing this weekly. I also used wild growth oil.

I think since my hair was relaxed it didnt take that much heat to straighten. The blow dryer was my worst enemy and my reason for not retaining length. Now that I am natural it takes more heat to straighten my hair.

Keep in mind (you probably already know) but everyone's hair is different and some ladies can blow dry and flat iron and press reguraly without seeing any damage at all.

I am not one of those.

But to answer your questions:
I would only use a flat iron once a week maximuim to be safe.

The best heat protectant is the New Image Damage Free from sally's. It was supposed to be discontinued but you may still be able to find it.

And as far as the ends of my hair go I make sure to not overdo it with the flat iron. I sometimes use a heavy grease like Dax to protect them then curl with the curling iron.

HTH

I agree that the blow dryer is really bad for hair. I must say that i don't feel like moderate heat 1-2 times a week is that bad provided the rest of your regimine is solid, including hair already healthy. If your ends are in bad shape already I def would not do it.

I use Redkens So Long Heat Treat...It is a Top Notch product and will seal the ends, leaves the hair with body and shine and does not build up. The bad side...not too bad though
smile.gif
It is about 13-14 bucks for 5 oz BUT a little goes a looooooooong way, if you use it right. I could use a bottle for 6-7 months (twice a week).

You can take a look at my hair and see what you think. Until mid April I used heat everyday. Last week I did revert back to using heat once per week (I just don't have time to rollerset more than once a week) Curling iron, flat iron its all thermal heat and Heat Treat will protect your hair.
smile.gif

HTH

I think once a week would be all you would need for use. I usually blow dry my hair on low/warm and then I use a light oil to flat iron my hair. I use the Profective Healthy Ends everyday and just recently I've decided to use my African Pride scalp and hair spray (one of my earlier PJ items, collecting dust) instead of the distilled water mixed with an oil to help keep it moisturized. I've been doing this for quite some time and my hair is pretty healthy considering.

I am not using anything as far as a heat protectant. I would love to find a good one other than just plain leave in conditioner-I want something that is really phenomenal. I'm hoping the Mizani Thermastrength that I'll be trying soon will be the one-although I heard it's very expensive. We'll see.

Re: Ladies, I need a Ceramic Flat Iron Routine....

Yeah, responses!

Thanks so much for the advice...once a week huh? Ok
ooo.gif
will adjust that, especially with medium to fine hair like my own, you can end up with "nothing" pretty quickly.

While I'm asking questions, is it normal to get a little smoke coming off the iron? Or does this happen only if you have too much product in your hair?

and PS- MissM please let us know how the Mizani Thermalstrenth works out. I picked up some Ion Ant-frizz Solution yesterday, and I will be experimenting with that mixed with Infusium 23.

Oh, and make sure you are only using heat on clean hair. If you are smelling smoke, likely your hair is either -
1) loaded down with too much product, or 2) hasn't been washed in a while. Either way your need to get some of the products off the hair. Using heat on dirty hair is not good for it. When I use heat it is only after my hair is washed and air-dryed. A heat protectant is lightly applied and the ends are slightly oiled.

Oh, and make sure you are only using heat on clean hair. If you are smelling smoke, likely your hair is either -
1) loaded down with too much product, or 2) hasn't been washed in a while. Either way your need to get some of the products off the hair. Using heat on dirty hair is not good for it. When I use heat it is only after my hair is washed and air-dryed. A heat protectant is lightly applied and the ends are slightly oiled.

HTH

Back