Ladies I have a question

mj11051

First Good Tuesday Morning and here's my question. I'm going to have an interview for a job I truly want, should I get my hair blow dried for the interview or just wear my afro puff? Please help TIA MJ

Ummm personally I wouldn't rock a puff. I believe it may cause a distraction and take away from whats important...you and your qualifications.

I too say the pulled back puff.

Hey, you are still keeping the job you recently started and loved, right? You seemed so happy.

I do really love this job, however it's a temp position and the other job is permanent position and I had applied for it first. It's in accounting and it's in downtown Chicago

I say it depends on the job you are going for. I had two interviews in the last 2 weeks and one of them was a more professional enviroment so I straightened my hair and the other was more relaxed so I wore it in its normal state

I'd say wear it down :grin:..
I had an interview downtown Chicago yesterday and I wore my hair down for that purpose but later on that day when I got home I put it right back in a bun... It is unfortunate that as women of color we are put into a category on first glance but that is the reality of the world in which we live in.

I do really love this job, however it's a temp position and the other job is permanent position and I had applied for it first. It's in accounting and it's in downtown Chicago

Appears you have applied for a professional position, i would blow dry for the interview.

Personally I would wear it straight. You can always changed it back later. Just make sure that you still take care of your hair.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm of a differing opinion here, but why does straight hair = professional?

OP - How would you LIKE to wear your hair? They're hiring YOU not your hair. Just make sure that you don't pick out a fro to be 20 inches in circumference or something. Wear a smile, a good suit, and do your interview research. I wish you luck.

Str8 hair does not = professional/polished etc. IMO. Wear your hair in a way that makes you feel comfortable and confident. As long as it is clean your qualifications should do the talking not your hair.

I dunno. I've never pressed my hair for an interview. I always just make sure my hair is neat and tidy and out of the way. When I had braids, I pulled them back into a neat bun. When my hair was out, I smoothed it back and plaited my scrawny pony tail and tucked it under. It's funny but I've never thought of my hair as being a hindrance to anything. If I were you, I'd make a pulled back combed out puff; not a twist-out puff or a braid-out puff, but one that's combed out and patted into a neat package. But that's just me.

Most importantly, do whatever makes you most comfortable coz if you will be worrying about how your hair is perceived, you might be distracted and not do well in the interview.

Str8 hair does not = professional/polished etc. IMO. Wear your hair in a way that makes you feel comfortable and confident. As long as it is clean your qualifications should do the talking not your hair.

While I agree with this, we still live in a subjective society. The firm could be everything you want in a workplace, but the HR manager could be ultra-conservative (often the case). Why add a subjective factor they can judge?

I think once you get the position, you can wear your hair in any professional style you please. But let's not forget, this world is still not fully "Ours to Lose"...there's still barriers to entry (regardless of skill, education, etc.) that have to be addressed - and package perception is the biggest one...

They even had an segment on Good Morning America about this...white folks with curly hair are deemed less intellectual. It's a realistic bias that exists, and I don't believe we should fool ourselves into believing you can just "do you" and all will fall into place. Gotta play the game to win.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm of a differing opinion here, but why does straight hair = professional?

OP - How would you LIKE to wear your hair? They're hiring YOU not your hair. Just make sure that you don't pick out a fro to be 20 inches in circumference or something. Wear a smile, a good suit, and do your interview research. I wish you luck.

Unfortunately, qualifications do NOT do all the talking. There are still people who are not going to feel as comfortable with an applicant who is too "different" from what the interviewer considers the norm. There are people who still associate any form of an afro with Black Nationalists and radicals. Hopefully you don't interview with any of them, but if I want the job I don't run the risk.

If you want to prove those people wrong, educate them AFTER you have the position -- but GET the position first by going in for the interview in a manner that can't be considered "unacceptable" by anyone.

Also, to the OP, there are other options than just a puff or wearing it straight. You can wear twists, tuck the puff in for a bun, wear a wig, get some braids... please don't feel as though you only have a few limited options.

It's ok to have differing opinions. I await the day when I can sue the large international corporation that I work for because they don't like my hairdo's...or don'ts for that matter :) I would finally be rich!

If you have no choice like I did, wear a braid out that is pulled back, the employers didn't even seem to notice my hair...and I did get a job.

Good luck on your interview...just to add my own 2 cents, I think a puff can be professional, or maybe you could try a puff bun like mwedzi does in her youtube tutorial.

Back