Ladies help!!!! My hair has been so dry lately!

Quita3514

Not sure why..but for the past month my hair has been really dry..I moisturize 2 times a day with hydrathermal natural growth lotion and seal with jojoba or olive oil. I wash my hair once a week and dc with heat with ors replenshing conditioner with added oils? Does anyone know why my hair could be so dry..I'm not sure if I should follow the ors replenshing conditioner with a moisturizing conditioner or what? Then I was thinkin my keracare leavin might be the culprit..not sure really what could be? I also wig up during the day as a protective style... Any suggestions would help?

www.startinfromsquareone.blogspot.com

I used to have that problem then I started to spritz my hair with water daily and sealed with an EO. You may need to cut back on the growth lotion some.

You're moisturizing and DC, which would have been my recommendation. You may want to consdier switching to some different products and see if that helps. Increasing your daily water helps.

Maybe it's time to clarify?.......And don't forget the Porosity Control! It's is the truth for correcting my moisture balance!

You're moisturizing and DC, which would have been my recommendation. You may want to consdier switching to some different products and see if that helps. Increasing your daily water helps.

Design Essentials has really turned my hair around when it comes to moisture. Every time I try to finish some of my other products and wash with something other than DE my hair is like straw.

Sent from my LS670 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I had to go back to basics cowashing daily! Which I hate but if that's what it takes...Also glycerin,safflower oil, and a deep conditioner mixed together is my emergency treatment when things are really dry to the bone...None of this happens when I have my Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1...Try those out..HTH

oil rinses are the devil for me. made my hair dry and crispy. cowashing, dcing, and moisturizing with water-based products help me. i shampoo to remove buildup, and do protein once in awhile.

oil rinses are the devil for me. made my hair dry and crispy. cowashing, dcing, and moisturizing with water-based products help me. i shampoo to remove buildup, and do protein once in awhile.

What oil did you use? I know hair reacts to different oils in different ways. Some have to search for the right oil or combination of oils. Shampoos, conditioners and deep conditioners make my hair feel hard (including the top recommendations and very expensive ones)...so, yeah, hair reacts different. My hair doesn't take well to synthetic products (which commercial shampoos/cond's are full of. Oil rinses are the ONLY thing that soften my hair.

Last edited:
Glycerine is the main ingredient in most hydratherma naturals products.

If you live in a dry,or cold climate, glycerine will rob your hair of every little bit of it's moisture.

Glycerine is the main ingredient in most hydratherma naturals products.

If you live in a dry,or cold climate, glycerine will rob your hair of every little bit of it's moisture.

I'm not so sure about this now. I seem to be able to use Scurl throughout the year no matter the climate. I have some theories about the chemistry of this ... But I think I'll look more into it before I start preaching lol.

OP, what's your moisturizing routine? As in step by step.

Last edited:
What oil did you use? I know hair reacts to different oils in different ways. Some have to search for the right oil or combination of oils. Shampoos, conditioners and deep conditioners make my hair feel hard (including the top recommendations and very expensive ones)...so, yeah, hair reacts different. My hair doesn't take well to synthetic products (which commercial shampoos/cond's are full of. Oil rinses are the ONLY thing that soften my hair.

ioil rinsed the other day with coconut oil and it made my napps kinda crispy :perplexed iguess ileft it in too long.. :look: my hair use to LOVE it when iwas co.washing and bunning daily.. it would be soo soft :love: not no more :nono:

This happened to me and I checked the pH of the products i was using... Deep conditioned over night n my hair felt alot better. Its going to be an ongoing thing for me to restore my moisture.. Good luck

Since Ors is a protein conditioner, you might want to switch to a moisturizing conditioner for a couple of weeks and see if taht makes a difference. When I first started using Ors, my hair thrived, but the healthier it got, the less protein I needed and it started to give me the same issues.

Since Ors is a protein conditioner, you might want to switch to a moisturizing conditioner for a couple of weeks and see if taht makes a difference. When I first started using Ors, my hair thrived, but the healthier it got, the less protein I needed and it started to give me the same issues.

This was my thought. ORS Mayo is awesome and does soften my hair but it is not a solely moisturizing conditioner so I have to switch it up. My hair's new baby daddy is Giovanni 50:50 Calming/Moisturizing Conditioner.

And when all else fails, an overnight DC works. No dry hair can stand up to that...as long as you use a totally moisturizing DC.

my hair doesn't like oils period. i don't use synthetic oils. my hair loves water-based products/ingredients. oils do nothing but sit on top of my hair. i have tried plenty of oils over the years, but your hair is different from mine, so what works for you, may not work for others.

I think the fact that you have to moisturize your hair twice per day may point directly at your moisture problem. I'm starting to think that truly moisturized hair shouldn't need daily moisturizing. The right staple products should decrease the amount of moisture "follow-up" you have to do on a daily basis.

My suggestions:
-overnight DC'ing (SO concur with LovinLea!)...just make sure you use a super moisturing DC that doesn't contain protein- ORS is a light protein conditioner
-Check the ingredients list on your growth lotion for medium to heavier proteins, and consider a different moisturizer. Try SheaMoisture Restorative conditioner, or Taliah Waajid Mist Bodifier. My hair tends to be very dry as well, and these 2 products help alot with my moisture retention.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Back