Ladies are box dyes safe?

Glamiam

Im getting really tired of using a black rinse all the time, and just want to dye my hair black one time and never have to worry about it washing out.The only thing is that i've heard so many horror stories resulting from dyes but i've also heard that the safest color to dye your hair is black. Whats the best thing to do??:perplexed

I recently dyed my hair black with a boxed dye (i dyed over the salon's lighter brown shade) So far so good. I doubt you'll have any problems if your hair is currently healthy and you continue to take good care of it. Moisturize like the dickens :)

Please be very, very careful. I never had problems going from brown to black...but I had a mini-traumatic experience from the reverse. I'm still trying to recover and it was months ago. Luckily, I'm transitioning and any remaining damaged, relaxed ends will be cut when I BC. Currently, I'm just trying to baby them as much as I can.

i dyed my hair black and it got healthier. i used dark and lovely and my curls were POPPIN. i guess it was like a protein treatment. depends on the brand i think

Box dyes are fine. Easy to use, just follow the instructions. Keep in mind, black hair dye is a monster pain in the butt to remove.

As someone who is a former hair dye addict, I suggest sticking with the dyes formulated for women of color. Consumer Reports did an article a few months ago where they compared box dyes and interestingly enough, Clairol's Texture & Tones got the best rating.

Oh, and remember to grease/vaseline your hairline and the top of your ears so you won't stain them.

I'm a hairdye addict. I used to dye my hair when relaxed, and I still dye my hair now when natural. I've never had any problems with them.

In fact, a couple of months ago I bleached my hair and then dyed it. I was scared my hair was gonna be uber dry so after I rinsed off the bleach I cowashed my hair and coz my cuticles were really open my hair became overmoisturised. However, a mild protein treatment soon fixed that. My hair is fine now. So the reason for this story was... um I can't remember. Lol.

Like others have stated, if you look after your hair it should be fine. Just moisturise a little more after you dye it. :) HTH!

Thanks for the replies! and i agree about Clairol's Texture & Tones being the safest since it has no ammonia in it:yawn:

im a color addict and have been coloring for years! just be careful read the instructions and take care of your hair to keep it healthy as for texture and tones it was actually too strong for my hair and i wouldnt use that again:nono:

p.s. u can check my album to see a few colors that i have had :grin:

Back