LACK OF MOISTURE AFTER RELAXING

kjeneen

Question:

After texlaxing my 11 week post roots this weekend, I am having a tough time retaining moisture even AFTER using Roux. Getting my hair hydrated through deep conditioning is not the problem, it's when I air dry, it comes out all dry and stiff.:nono:

Any suggestions?

try using a silicone-free conditioner as a leave in. i use suave naturals tropical coconut when i air-dry and my hair dries soft and shiny. HTH!

Ditto on the low cone usage. My hair always comes out stiff when I use a cone-laden leave-in while airdrying

How often do you dc? What conditioners are you using? They may not be truly moisturizing your hair

Ditto on the low cone usage. My hair always comes out stiff when I use a cone-laden leave-in while airdrying

How often do you dc? What conditioners are you using? They may not be truly moisturizing your hair

I dc 1-2x per week using....OMG, I just went blank on the name. Anyway, it's the citrus smelling condish that comes in the yellow-orangish packet....uhmmmm, it Olive Oil something or other...so yes, I use that with a plastic cap under a dryer for 25-30 minutes.

try using a silicone-free conditioner as a leave in. i use suave naturals tropical coconut when i air-dry and my hair dries soft and shiny. HTH!

OOOOOOOO, thanks. i hadn't thought about that. And it just so happens I have a nice supply of Suave Coconut condish at home. I can't wait to get out of class this evening to do a co-wash & air dry using the same:grin:

Thanks hypek!

It could also be the relaxer you are using. I know that for me certain brands dry my hair out after using. :nono:

^^^ chelating only solved this problem. I believe it's something in the no-lye that I was using.

Last edited:
Question:

After texlaxing my 11 week post roots this weekend, I am having a tough time retaining moisture even AFTER using Roux. Getting my hair hydrated through deep conditioning is not the problem, it's when I air dry, it comes out all dry and stiff.:nono:

Any suggestions?

If you use a no-lye I would suggest using a chelating poo, most no-lyes are notorious for leaving calcium deposits in your hair. I would leave the shampoo on my hair for 5-10 minutes. After this do a deep conditioning with a very moisturizing condish like silk elements moisture treatment. You can even add things like evoo and honey to it to make it more moisturizing. After that do the porosity control and see how your hair feels. Another explanation for the dryness could be relaxer residue left in your hair. For a cheapie but goodie chelating poo try ORS aloe shampoo, it'll also get rid of any remaining relaxer residue you may have. HTH!

I used to have that happen to me. I airdry my hair in a pony and my ends are fine and dry and brittle. However, I tuck in the ends and the hair is been fine every since.

But is chelating recommended so soon after relaxing? I just relaxed on Saturday and I don't want to worsen the problem by stripping my hair.

Also, just as an update, did try using Suave condish as a leave-in (thanks hypek) and it helped a lot, but I'm still not there yet. I'll wait to see what you guys have to say about chelating just days after a relaxer.

Are you Co-Washing? And what other Products are you using? I think Co-Washing has really helped me in addition to Deep Conditioning. Alternating Protein & Moisture Treatments also balanced My Hair Out Tremendously.:yep:

I have a Tendency to have dry hair anyway. So, in addition to DC Treatments (with Heat) I implemented Co-Washing instead of Shampooing and it has made a difference. Also, I make sure my Leave-In is Moisturizing as well.:yep:

I only now 'Poo when I need to Clarify to rid myself of unnnecessary buildup.

And I always, always, keep my roots (NG) area super moisturized with me Daily Moisturizing Treatment. Because I know I suffer from dryness.

You could also try Baggying with something moisturizing as well. All of this helped Restore My Hair and Delivered it from Dryness.:grin:

Back