Lace Wig Primer

sunshinelady

I've been seeing a lot of interest in lace wigs on here, so I thought I would add a few things.

1. You can order directly from a Chinese vendor, which will usually cost you less than $250. However, if you do, you are taking a risk. The cons of going with a Chinese vendor:
  • Custom wigs may not fit correctly.
  • You may not get your wig at all and you have very little recourse.
  • If you work for the government, they will ask you if you have made any overseas transactions. China will come up.
  • There is usually a language barrier.
  • Usually have to use Western Union
Going with an American vendor, usually a middle person who ordered from China, you have the following benefits:
  • No language barrier
  • can use Paypal
  • Easy to contact (but beware)
  • Overnight shipping for stock wigs
  • Can report them to the Better Business Bureau
  • Some will accept returns
The Cons
  • You still may have problems with your wig
  • Follow-up customer care can be spotty, depending on who you use
  • You will likely pay at least $100 additional dollars this way.
Black Hair Media has a wealth of information about vendors, care and application instructions, so I highly recommend going there before making a purchase from any vendor.

2. Always measure your head at least 3 times. I have messed up numerous times and regretted it.

3. Review people's fotkis to determine textures that interest you. You do not want a super shiny wig.

4. ALL wigs tangle and if someone promises you a tangle-free wig, then they are lying and you probably shouldn't purchase it. Curly wigs, in particular, tangle quite quickly and require extra upkeep. They are very beautiful tho'.

5. If you are new to lace wigs, get French lace. It is thicker and the grids show a little easier, but is more durable than Swiss lace.

6. Do NOT cut your lace until you know that it will fit how you wish. If you cut the lace, you will not be able to return it.

7. Lace wigs require maintenance, just like your hair. You will need to shampoo and condition them to keep them wearable.

8. For newbies, I recommend going with an American vendor until you get the hang of things.

That's all I can think of now, but I will add more later. If you have questions or want help, feel free to PM.

Last edited:
Can I remove it daily like a wig?

You could, but it takes a lot of work to put one on, so you probably don't want to. If you are looking for something that you can take off, get a lace front wig, the back is like a regular wig and only the front has to be adhered.
You could also look into a New Hair wig. It only requires a little hair left out.

You could, but it takes a lot of work to put one on, so you probably don't want to. If you are looking for something that you can take off, get a lace front wig, the back is like a regular wig and only the front has to be adhered.
You could also look into a New Hair wig. It only requires a little hair left out.

Oh, coolio :wacky:

As your application gets better, you will be able to remove and adhere daily. But like sunshine said it is a LOT of work. I've been wearing LF for 2 years now and I remove daily most of the time.

True, true. My shortest application was 15 mins. Can't do that every morning.

IF you don't remove daily, how long do you keep it in? It seems like it would come off when you sleep. I still don't see how the glue is strong enough to attach to the lace and your skin and keep for very long.

IF you don't remove daily, how long do you keep it in? It seems like it would come off when you sleep. I still don't see how the glue is strong enough to attach to the lace and your skin and keep for very long.

You can keep it on from 2 days to a 2 weeks. I've heard of people doing longer than that. If you are a wild sleeper, you will probably have to reattach.

You can keep it on from 2 days to a 2 weeks. I've heard of people doing longer than that. If you are a wild sleeper, you will probably have to reattach.

bumpin for more replies...

I don't feel like going over to bhm. I always feel like foreigner over there. Great site though.

bumpin for more replies...

I don't feel like going over to bhm. I always feel like foreigner over there. Great site though.

Sunshine is correct. It's all about personal preference. All adhesives work differently, so the right combo can last you as long or as less as you like. Its like a trial and error with adhesives IMO.

Back