Koreans Dominate Wig Market in US

SherylsTresses

*****Sorry if this has already been posted*****

I visited the only Black owned beauty supply in my neighborhood and I saw no wigs. I asked the owner/cashier why weren't there any wigs and he replied that the Koreans have a lock on just about all wigs sold in the US. :nono: They only sell to non-Koreans at an individual price, even if it's a bulk purchase. :perplexed He also stated that wig contracts are written in their language.

This is so not fair since African-Americans are the largest purchaser of wigs and Koreans are not returning any profits to our neighborhoods. Their customer service isn't that great either. :ohwell:

Here are some related youtube videos for more stories: http://www.google.com/search?q=asia...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CB8QqwQwAQ

Yes girl, go to BHM, they and others have had the straight dope on this for many years. Some make their own wigs now but until Americans get back into manufacturing the hair, (cause face it, there ain't that much real hair in the world, a fair amount of even the high quality stuff 's the heat-friendly synthetic or still animal hair) we won't be able to cut into their profit. Thx for video and please post the name and location of the BSS, I'm not in TN but have friends there!

Yep, check out the BSS boycott thread. Korean's began to dominate the market in the 1960s. This was a direct result of their government and actions by our own.

Yes girl, go to BHM, they and others have had the straight dope on this for many years. Some make their own wigs now but until Americans get back into manufacturing the hair, (cause face it, there ain't that much real hair in the world, a fair amount of even the high quality stuff 's the heat-friendly synthetic or still animal hair) we won't be able to cut into their profit. Thx for video and please post the name and location of the BSS, I'm not in TN but have friends there!

Essential Beauty Supplies

• (901) 366-4800
6305 Winchester Rd, Memphis, TN 38115

Back