Know Of any Lye relaxers for thinner,fine natural hair?

AmethysteGoddez

Firstly I am new to the forum, So hello to you all and thanks for having me. I am currently natural and am considering getting a lye relaxer to wear my hair straight (since it reverts easily) My hair type is 4a. I have a good amount of hair, however the strands themselves are not thick. My hair dresser asked me to consider Vigoral, but I have heard negative things about it. Does anyone know of a mild relaxer that causes minimal damage?
Thanks

I have fine hair, and my hair dresser uses a sensitive scalp lye (Design Essentials) relaxer in my hair. She says that it breaks the hair down slower. She uses this instead of a 'mild' relaxer, which I originally requested. She looked at me, and my hair texture, like I was crazy for requesting a mild relaxer :lachen:.

HTH! Welcome to the board :yep:

Thanks LikeNoOther and Glamazon386. I am going to look into these suggestions!....Anyone used and would suggest any others? I am just so nervous...

Last edited:
I've been using Design Essentials, and it's reasonably good for my less than expert self relaxer skills. I'm planing on trying Mizani Butter Blends shortly and will let you know how it works out.

Firstly I am new to the forum, So hello to you all and thanks for having me. I am currently natural and am considering getting a lye relaxer to wear my hair straight (since it reverts easily) My hair type is 4a. I have a good amount of hair, however the strands themselves are not thick. My hair dresser asked me to consider Vigoral, but I have heard negative things about it. Does anyone know of a mild relaxer that causes minimal damage?
Thanks

WELCOME!! :welcome::newbie::hiya2:

What is Vigoral? My hair is relaxed but it's very fine.

i like affirm w/ fiberguard (lye). It relaxes my hair without stripping away the body, like some of the harsher ones i've used.

Your hair sounds alot like mine. I use MIZANI for Fine and Color Treated hair. It doesnt overprocess my thin strands which are prone to breakage. My hair ends up straight but not bodyless pin straight. It maintains mosts of its strength which I need.

Phyto index 1. It is very exepensive though. But it is the first relaxer that did not burn my scalp or overprocess my hair. I use it to texturize every 4-6 months so maybe that is an option for you so. You still be able do wash n gos and still get a relaxed look as well.

It's no lye and it's very gentle. It never dried my hair like the other no lye relaxers. I think because it has guanosine instead of lye(sodium hydroxide). There are more posts about this, my brain is a little fried from a long day. I buy mine from Sephora and because I do not have long hair I can use for 2 applications. Most people only can get one application. Sareca just starting using Silk elements mild relaxer and seems to like it. This perm is super cheap from Sally's. I also have used Mizani butter blend and this is lye perm but fairly gentle and a little expensive. I bought online at Payne's beauty supply. There is an over the counter one, I think Soft and Beautiful bodifying relaxer for fine and thin hair. I have never used this one. I think if you read through some of the relaxer threads this perm is mentioned a few times. HTH.

Back