KIVA.ORG - HERE IS OUR CHANCE TO GIVE BACK - A DOMINICAN SALON!!!

akatude08

Hi Ladies,
I dont post often, I mostly lurk.:sekret:
BUT, I just had to post this. I am an active member of Kiva.org, a website where people can make small dollar loans to people in developing countries that really make a difference in people's lives. Well, I was browsing the site for a new business to invest in- AND...

I found a group of ladies who want to invest in their DOMINICAN SALON in Santo Domingo, DR!!!! Ladies, as much as we love our Dominican Salons - here is our chance to help one in the area that it all started!!! Wouldnt it be great if we could fully fund them with donations from LCHF members? Here is a chance to give back in regard to something we are all so passionate about: hair!!!

You can donate in any amount - whatever you can afford. And the default rate via Kiva.org is less than any bank I have ever seen.

Lets give back, ladies!!! Here is the link to the site: http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=about&id=42012

If we can fork over a couple hundred for Pibbs dryers (which Lord knows I did), we can spare $25 to help a worthy cause!! As of the time that I posted this, they only need about $1000 more!

Thanks for listening!:angel::angel::angel:
:grouphug3::grouphug3:

Thanks!
It is a really good site - I actually first heard about it when they were featured on Oprah. At the time, because of the publicity, they were funding loans so fast that it was hard to find one!

By the way, I meant to mention in my post that I loaned them $$, so just want people to know that I am not pushing anything that I dont personally and financially believe in!

Thanks for your post.

Akatude08

I get the gist but I am not feeling the motivational tug on my heart. It is great to give to a worthy cause but I don't know about fundraising for a for-profit business in a country where they already have such businesses (afterall there are plenty of salons in DR right?). I'd rather give money to build a school, medical clinic, woman's shelter, etc........ but a salon?

If it were a salon that was providing FREE services to the elderly, sick and shut in, then maybe. But just to send money to help a salon be more profitable than its competitors....

I dunno........

or maybe it is because I am not fully over my experience with my scissor happy Dominican stylist, that led me to finding out about LHCF. :look:

ETA: I don't equate microfinance to charity. Just me.

Last edited:
If it were a salon that was providing FREE services to the elderly, sick and shut in, then maybe. But just to send money to help a salon be more profitable than its competitors....

I dunno........

or maybe it is because I am not fully over my experience with my scissor happy Dominican stylist, that led me to finding out about LHCF. :look:
Nope I felt the same way. Giving back to who for what? I give to them every time I order Salerm and Lacio Lacio.

I don't understand how this works. Why are we giving money when they will be getting a loan? Please explain the process to me because i'm sure I'm confused :spinning:

I've been wanting to donate to organizations like this just haven't gotten around to it. There are a few others besides Kiva. I heard the repayment was something like 99%

OK, Ladies: back to your corners!!!

This is basically a small business loan that you are giving to people in developing countries to help them get on their feet. There are a lot of people in other areas of the world who would not normally have access to get loans. These people have businesses that without the loans will be in a stagnant state: no way to invest in the businesses to grow. So, as an example, this dominican salon - maybe she would like to invest to begin selling more product out of her store. In turn, that would help her have money to buy more chairs, or better quality products for her clients. Any of these things would help her grow her business. She certainly cant walk into Citibank, Bank of America, Chase, or any other and request a loan.

Just to clarify - kiva is a not for profit organization. Although these businesses owned by the people are "for profit", these business owners are not by any means rich - they are mostly just getting by. This is a worthy cause that I believe in, and it does a lot of benefit for people in need. There are a variety of businesses: grocery stores, tailors, auto repair, etc. These are the working poor, who are looking to take loans and pay them back! Much better, in my opinion, than giving to a huge conglomerate that is going to use 50% of your donations for "administrative purposes".

How this works: You loan a small amount of money to the business owner, or aspiring business owner. They take the money, invest it in their business and then make regular payments back to you, like any other loan. You can then choose to withdraw your money or re-invest it to help someone else.

This is not at all a handout. If some are not interested, that is fine. I was just giving people who may be interested the opportunity.

Please feel free to look at this page which describes how Kiva.org works. That should answer your questions.
http://www.kiva.org/about

I get the gist but I am not feeling the motivational tug on my heart. It is great to give to a worthy cause but I don't know about fundraising for a for-profit business in a country where they already have such businesses (afterall there are plenty of salons in DR right?). I'd rather give money to build a school, medical clinic, woman's shelter, etc........ but a salon?

I dunno........

ETA: I don't equate microfinance to charity. Just me.

Wow - thanks for your STRONG opinion! OK - I think you are picturing a metropolitan area and upscale salons. We are talking dirt roads and poverty. Besides, you never know what they are doing to help their own community - how many heads she has done for free, brides she has styled for their special day, etc. You just never know. They are poor people who are just striving for independence.

Thanks for your opinion, though, and taking the time to post!!

Oh, and also to the other folks - I doubt that this lady is seeing ANY profits from the products you purchase!!! THOSE go to the big conglomerates and help profitability!

Ummm....no. I have actually been to DR so I know the landscape.

But thanks for spreading the word!

Credit unions/financial cooperatives do the same thing (microlending) so I am familiar with microfinancing. All to the same end.

Wow - thanks for your STRONG opinion! OK - I think you are picturing a metropolitan area and upscale salons. We are talking dirt roads and poverty. Besides, you never know what they are doing to help their own community - how many heads she has done for free, brides she has styled for their special day, etc. You just never know. They are poor people who are just striving for independence.

Oh, and also to the other folks - I doubt that this lady is seeing ANY profits from the products you purchase!!! THOSE go to the big conglomerates and help profitability!

Ummm....no. I have actually been to DR so I know the landscape.

But thanks for spreading the word!

Credit unions/financial cooperatives do the same thing (microlending) so I am familiar with microfinancing. All to the same end.

Oh, and I forgot mention - I am really sorry about the dominican salon that messed up your hair!!! Looks like you are fully recovered - your hair looks great!

Okay this is basically just like prosper.com except instead of only helping Americans you are only helping people in "developing nations." You aren't "helping a worthy cause" you are lending someone you don't know money and hoping to get paid back. Granted looking at the charts it seems very likely that you will be paid back but nothing is a sure thing.

I invest with prosper, funds permitting, and in turn I am paid interest. I don't see that mentioned on Kiva. So is it right to assume that I am paid in Karmic interest? If all I get back is good Karma then I'd say this is kindof like a savings account. A passbook savings at that. :nono:

Huh? I'm loaning the money so when do I get it back? I thought we were "giving" money like for a charity type thing. I'm a dunce today so reply back and talk realllll slooooowww like.

My understanding is that Kiva is a micro banking/lending facilitator.
There have been great results with micro banking. Not sure if this is a 'new' trend but certainly the rise in access to the internet has given new borrowers access to a wider pool of international lenders like us. I've heard great stories such as one guy who was given a small loan (like $50) to buy more chickens or hens (whichever it was lol) to sell poultry and eventually grew into the biggest poultry company in the region ( I believe this was a country on the African continent).

IMO, it's about supporting people's entrepreneurial spirit (and all that might come of it) vs. a charitable donation.

This topic might need to be moved from the haircare section :perplexed

If we are talking dirt roads & poverty, I tend to think getting long & pretty hair isnt hair isnt a priority..
My family is from Costa Rica and I know from listening to my aunts that there is a much more practical need in places like that

OK, Ladies: back to your corners!!!

This is basically a small business loan that you are giving to people in developing countries to help them get on their feet. There are a lot of people in other areas of the world who would not normally have access to get loans. These people have businesses that without the loans will be in a stagnant state: no way to invest in the businesses to grow. So, as an example, this dominican salon - maybe she would like to invest to begin selling more product out of her store. In turn, that would help her have money to buy more chairs, or better quality products for her clients. Any of these things would help her grow her business. She certainly cant walk into Citibank, Bank of America, Chase, or any other and request a loan.

Just to clarify - kiva is a not for profit organization. Although these businesses owned by the people are "for profit", these business owners are not by any means rich - they are mostly just getting by. This is a worthy cause that I believe in, and it does a lot of benefit for people in need. There are a variety of businesses: grocery stores, tailors, auto repair, etc. These are the working poor, who are looking to take loans and pay them back! Much better, in my opinion, than giving to a huge conglomerate that is going to use 50% of your donations for "administrative purposes".

How this works: You loan a small amount of money to the business owner, or aspiring business owner. They take the money, invest it in their business and then make regular payments back to you, like any other loan. You can then choose to withdraw your money or re-invest it to help someone else.

This is not at all a handout. If some are not interested, that is fine. I was just giving people who may be interested the opportunity.

Please feel free to look at this page which describes how Kiva.org works. That should answer your questions.
http://www.kiva.org/about

Interesting ....Thanks so much for posting this...:yep:

Oh, and I forgot mention - I am really sorry about the dominican salon that messed up your hair!!! Looks like you are fully recovered - your hair looks great!

Thanks. I'm trying to heal inside as much as I have on the outside :look:

ETA: It is not a bad program as long as people are clear that this is not charity. Deep down, I do believe every woman wants to feel beautiful and for some of us, having a good hair day will do wonders to life spirits. So whether you are poor or rich, a salon does help women's self-esteem. (who doesn't feel good when they look good). BUT.....we are talking about DR where there are other salons...they practically invented the doobie, rollerwrap, or whatever you want to call it.

I'd look into Kiva to build other infrastructure....even if it was a finishing school to teach little girls how to behave like ladies and not like the trash they see on tv.

Last edited:
Back